Advertising | News

International Day Against Homophobia is Coming

On May 17th. There's even a TV spot to make people aware of IDAHO, though I'm not sure where it will be running. More info here.

Comments

1. It's weird that the guy keeps saying "homos."

Posted by: Anita | Apr 25, 2007 4:13:46 PM

2. This is a terrible commercial. Do you mean that Neil Patrick Harris, Lance Bass, Rupert Everett, and even Harvey Fierstein said they wouldn't appear? There are lots of people who would appear in an ad that's against homophobia. Straight and gay personalities. This seems like a very dated concept. And from a negative point of view. And the use of "homos" is also a bad idea. Why not "gay" instead? The voice-over is British? Was this created for England where, I think, the term "homo" is used more? If so, this shouldn't run here without an "American version" with an American voice-over. I'm an advertising executive and I would have killed this spot dead in a second. Is this the best we can do? It's neither hard-hitting enough - spotlighting the deaths from homophobic attacks - nor is it uplifting - showing that being gay is not being that different.
    It's an all-round bad commercial.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Apr 25, 2007 5:07:24 PM

3. Um..*That* was awkward!

Someone in the creative department missed the boat with this one.

What a shame. There's a ton of potential for an effective PSA against homophobia. This clip doesn't come close.

Posted by: CF | Apr 25, 2007 6:45:30 PM

4. disapointing

Posted by: dave | Apr 25, 2007 8:18:06 PM

5. Uh... yeah, that's one for the Heartland. Hopefully the producers will only air it in their own private IDAHO.

(I know, I know. Don't hate. Yes, I am ashamed that I typed that.)

Posted by: Famous Author Rob Byrnes | Apr 25, 2007 8:52:47 PM

6. If you go to the IDAHO website [link in article], you see that it is British based out of the original organization that is in France. The list of countries on the left-hand side is interesting. The United States is not listed. The first commenter named people like Fierstein who would appear in a heartbeat. He probably would do it faster than a heartbeat. I don't think they asked him or any of the others mentioned because it is aimed at the British. Be interesting to see ads for any of the other countries.

Posted by: mike/ | Apr 25, 2007 8:57:31 PM

7. I think the "homo" was intended to highlight the term homo-phobia because at the end they put up homo-phobia, lesbo-phobia etc. It didn't work for me.

I have to agree with the comments above; not very effective and not appropriate for the American market.

Posted by: Zeke | Apr 25, 2007 10:56:37 PM

8. Umm, as a Brit let me conclusively squash the idea that we use the term "homos" here a lot - we don't. And I haven't seen this ad anywhere on UK TV.

Posted by: Drew | Apr 26, 2007 3:01:24 AM

9. Perhaps this commercial a hoax? I dunno, but there are too many oddites (the "positive" use of the word "homo"; the fact that no one chose to sit in the chair to speak out against homophobia; the fact that it hasn't yet aired on televsion) to take this advert seriously.

Posted by: PC | Apr 26, 2007 5:30:11 AM

10. Suuuuuucked! "Homo?" Yikes. What, are we 12 again?

Posted by: shane | Apr 26, 2007 7:14:09 AM

11. The promo video is from the International Lesbian and Gay Association, based in Brussels. Who knows exactly the motive for the promo or where it is to be screened!

There is a much better video, made by film students at Manchester University on the IDAHO-UK website - www.idaho.org.uk . The direct link to the video, made for a British audience and about 9 minutes long, is http://www.idaho.org.uk/vidplayer.htm

Alas, the concept of IDAHO as an "international day" attracts little interest in the USA. That is a great pity as the idea is very good - the organisation in each country is kept to a minimum - no "committees", no "membership dues" etc. Its just ordinary people staging "events" on May 17 each year in their communities.

Having said that, I believe that there were a handfull of IDAHO events in America last year - in San Francisco and New York, from memory.

I'm sure thar Derek Lennard, the UK co-ordinator would be more than willing to answer any questions from USA! Go to http://www.idaho.org.uk/index.php?option=com_contact&task=view&contact_id=2&Itemid=8 to contact him.

Next month will see the third annual IDAHO - so it is a young organisation. It was founded in Europe by Frenchman Louis Georges Tin.

So, come on America! Our brothers and sisters in such countries as Iran, Iraq and other countries where gay men and women are slaughtered for no other reason than their sexuality need to have their plight highlighted internationally in countries where we enjoy relative "freedoms".

Posted by: Andy Harley | Apr 26, 2007 5:44:59 PM