Crime | Gay Slurs | News | Tennessee

Vandals Target Tennessee Man in Anti-Gay Hate Crime

Tennesseehatecrime

Neal Anthony, from McMinnville, Tennessee, had his home targeted last weekend by a group of anti-gay vandals who threw a landscaping rock through his window and spray-painted anti-gay messages around the outside of his house, according to WKRN Nashville.

AnthonyAnthony, who lives there with his partner Michael Duncan, says he makes no secret of the fact that he is openly gay.

Said Anthony: "I guess whoever was doing this thinks they are going to run me off from this community because I’m gay. That is not going to happen… this house has been in my family since it was built in 1851. People out there are ignorant… times have changed. They need to accept open-mindedness.”

"Fags deserve to die" and "all gays go to hell" were two of the messages written on the sides of his home, an historic residence built by his great-grandfather who was a county judge.

Anthony told WKRN that three weeks ago several people riding all-terrain vehicles rode by yelling anti-gay epithets and shot 80 rounds of paintballs at the house, breaking windows.

The vandals even went after Anthony's 82-year-old mother who lives in a nursing home. "You’re mother is hell bound," said one of the messages.

Investigators are treating the incident as a hate crime and say they have suspects.

"Anti-Gay Messages Spray-Painted On Man's Home" [wkrn nashville]

Recently...
Colorado Teen Assaulted by Fellow Students for Being Gay [tr]

Comments

1. Sadly, this probably would have received national attention had they spray painted "Nappy headed hos".

Posted by: Anon | Apr 13, 2007 10:15:04 AM

2. "I guess whoever was doing this thinks they are going to run me off from this community because I’m gay. That is not going to happen…"

That's the spirit Anthony.

Posted by: Da | Apr 13, 2007 10:36:51 AM

3. "Sadly, this probably would have received national attention had they spray painted "Nappy headed hos".

Posted by: Anon | Apr 13, 2007 10:15:04 AM"

Sadly, your comment is as nonsensical and cowardly as you obviously are.

Way to stand your ground Mr.Anthony!

Posted by: forreal | Apr 13, 2007 11:04:40 AM

4. Anthony is the kind of man the poster RJP3 was talking about a few weeks ago. Gay people who remain in conservative red states knowing that the bigotry they face may be far more vehement and prevelent...actually, that kind of anti-gay crap can happen anywhere, I guess.
    I still think openly gay folks who stay down south are some brave souls. All the big ol' boy southern football players in the world couldn't make me live down there...unless they looked like Reggie Bush.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 13, 2007 11:04:49 AM

5. This story should be on the national news, especially in light of the Matthew Shepard Bill mentioned above. More proof why the bill is needed, and more proof that we are still found to be okay targets.

Posted by: Bill | Apr 13, 2007 12:27:10 PM

6. If I were Anthony and they caught the perpetrators, I'd be inclined to ask the judge to allow them to come to my home for dinner with me and my family in lieu of punishment. Better to create understanding in the world than simply to throw them in jail...even if the perpetrators do deserve to spend a couple of days/weeks/months making sure no one rapes their ass while they're in the slammer.

Posted by: peterparker | Apr 13, 2007 12:51:42 PM

7. Well, I live in the south and it can be scary at time, but the Nashville area is pretty good, we even have a "gayborhood" downtown with a few bars and clubs and restaurants. It's about being vocal, not letting yourself be a victim and fighting for what is right. I hope they get the people that did this to Neal's house and punished them severely.

Posted by: Bobby | Apr 13, 2007 1:12:29 PM

8. Bobby, Nashville is "pretty good". I have a brother that lives there with his partner. However, McMinnville, TN is NOT! I should know, I was born there and lived there until I was 15!!! I am sure that my brother would say the same. I have always said it was not the end of the earth but you could see it from there. This is what McMinnville is all about. Good luck Anthony, you are going to need it!

Thank God I was moved to Atlanta in high school. I could NEVER go back to that town!!!

Posted by: RB | Apr 13, 2007 3:31:34 PM

9. Baptists should be familiar with the line: yet he who is without sin may cast the first stone. However, years of religious indoctrination never seems to pay off in this regard.

Posted by: anon | Apr 13, 2007 4:42:02 PM

10. Anthony is brave for enduring these attacks. I hope he wins.

Posted by: Jack! | Apr 13, 2007 5:02:52 PM

11. Shameless...let's see these bullies do that in his face.

Posted by: Karim | Apr 15, 2007 12:42:44 AM

12. I'll have to surprise all of you but i'm one of those people who hates those damn f*ags! They're the lowest of low forms that ever was mutated in to a living, he said people need to accept.... i say no one needs to accept anything. We like the way world was built years ago when people had relations between man and women, and we don't need guys that behave like doormats.

Posted by: Mike.E.W | May 8, 2011 2:40:15 PM