Great Britain | Lord Browne | News

BigGayDeal.com

BP CEO Lord Browne's Former Kept Boy Lets it All Out

Lord Browne, who resigned as head of British Petroleum last week, found himself at the center of an unraveling scandal after it was revealed that he had not been truthful under oath when discussing how he met his 25-year-old boyfriend Jeff Chevalier. Browne had said he met Chevalier while exercising in Battersea Park when the escort site Suited and Booted might have been a more truthful answer.

Jeff_chevalierOver the weekend, the Mail on Sunday published an extensive interview with the now scorned former rent boy. According to the tabloid, Browne "ended the relationship last year - virtually cutting Chevalier off without a penny."

Chevalier recounts an evening with Prime Minister Tony Blair: "I remember being really nervous, particularly when six security officers came around to sweep the flat the previous day. Then they came back with Mr Blair the next evening. I remember they sat in the kitchen with Barry the butler while we all had dinner. John was scrupulous about when these meals began and ended - they would usually go on for no longer than two or two-and-a-half hours, a little like a board meeting. We shook hands and were introduced in the drawing room. We stood there chatting in a group of four. I remember looking at Mr Blair and thinking that he hides his extra weight really well. He also has the eyes of someone who never sleeps. He was also taller than he looked on TV and there was a slightly religious tone to the conviction with which he spoke about things. On speaking to me, Tony would call me by name and clarify for my sake certain things which were said regarding business and politics which I might not have understood. When business between Tony and John got a bit more private, Anji [Hunter (Blair's former 'gatekeeper' who had gone to work for Lord Browne) spoke with me to allow the two to talk. He shook my hand goodbye and said that it was nice to meet me - and called me by my name again, which I appreciated."

Lord_browneChevalier lets it all out — the £3,000 bottles of claret, the £5million Chelsea apartment, socializing with Elton John, Jude Law, U.S. Congressmen and Senators, Ronald Lauder, holiday trips on private jets, and finally the realization:

"I was open to a lifestyle that people could only imagine about. It was all new to me and for the first few years a novelty. But after a while it became almost unbearable. Billionaires remembered me, but I did not remember them. The anxiety grew from not remembering these notables who knew me but whom I did not remember. Ultimately I experienced panic attacks from the thought of not knowing to whom I was speaking. John could not understand why his world was so difficult for me. Neither could I communicate to him the fear I was experiencing from all the parties, dinners and nights at the opera. John introduced me to all his acquaintances: friends, co-workers, billionaires, celebrities and the like. By 2004 I panicked before, during and after every function, because the people I met were so numerous and notable. I lost all ability to function as John Browne's partner. He did not understand my anxieties and I had no ability to understand his concerns. We were worlds apart and we both grew to realise this."

The TRUE story about Lord Browne - by ex-rent boy lover [the mail on sunday]
Seedy website at centre of Lord Browne's lie [the mail on sunday]

Comments

1. I have heard homophobic people say this story makes no damn sense. Didnt he for lack of better words hook that company when he came. I have not heard of him spending company money on him and if he did doubt its more than other membrs with their girlfriends not even wives. It bothers me so much he got fired im a female.

Posted by: sasha | May 7, 2007 6:43:00 PM

2. Hm. Am I supposed to feel sympathy for this guy?

"Cut off without a penny," dude, you got your education for free, living expenses for free, travel and fine food for um...free.

What did you do to take care of yourself? Ah yes, you sold your sad, sad story to a seedy tabloid to turn a quick buck.

No sympathy here.

Posted by: Frozen North | May 7, 2007 6:45:10 PM

3. Well, we have gold diggers just like the hets.

We have arrived

Posted by: pacificoceanboy | May 7, 2007 6:58:09 PM

4. You know, this is such a crock of shit. People look at this 25 year old and shout "Whore! Whore!" and all the while, how many are sitting at home watching "The Bachelor"? How often do we barely snivel at an older man with a younger woman unless of course, you're the older, first wife which, well, so what! Everybody's got a story. So the kid wanted a rich boyfriend and how many 25 year-olds have that kind of money, power and influence? Browne, even by Chevalier's account seems to have included him and expected him to behave like a proper trophy wife. So he didn't have what it took to do it, but to say shitty things about either of them just sounds like sour grapes. Then again, Bitch, if you're gonna be a ho, be good at it at least!

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | May 7, 2007 6:58:57 PM

5. I read this excerpt, not quite sure what to make of it, but the meeting with Mr. Blair is quite fascinating; also the meetings with billionaires and other upper-crust society people. To be there as the Lord's escort? Or friend? The elites seemed to accept him...

Posted by: Dan | May 7, 2007 7:11:44 PM

6. We arrived some time ago. That sound you hear is Reichen beating the bushes for Lord Browne's telephone number.

Posted by: Leland | May 7, 2007 7:16:32 PM

7. For a second, I did a double take. It seemed like taken out of 'Can't buy me love' by Kris Kenry, one of those Summer readings. And he's getting money from 'spilling the beans'? Hope it lasts...

Posted by: xavier | May 7, 2007 7:37:27 PM

8. As always, Leland...my hero:)

Posted by: Silverskreen | May 7, 2007 7:37:41 PM

9. LOL, Leland! He worked for an escort agencey, so he's no innocent. He's whiney he couldn't get more money out of Lord Browne. PLus he's already moved on to a wealthy Canadian TV producer so how damaged can hi wittle psyche be?

Posted by: ousslander | May 7, 2007 7:58:47 PM

10. LOL, Leland! He worked for an escort agencey, so he's no innocent. He's whiney he couldn't get more money out of Lord Browne. PLus he's already moved on to a wealthy Canadian TV producer so how damaged can his wittle psyche be?

Posted by: ousslander | May 7, 2007 8:00:56 PM

11. The fact everyone seemed to think this guy was "one of them" suggests they've all seen the same thing before. There must be many others out there (gay "companions"). Meanwhile, poor Browne can afford anything but can't have a real boyfriend.

Posted by: anon | May 7, 2007 8:26:27 PM

12. This escort guy is a disgrace and gave Canadians a bad name. I felt bad for Mr. Browne, but I am not sure how much sympathy he should have.

Since I am in Toronto, next time I see this dude I will make sure I will punch his face.

Posted by: Landis | May 7, 2007 8:58:24 PM

13. As usual, it's not the act itself but the cover-up that gets people into trouble.

Posted by: Dave J. | May 7, 2007 9:13:39 PM

14. leland

ROFLMAO!!!!!!
    LOL

^5
    :-)
    thanks for that laugh

fizzie, I have no problem pointing a finger and saying whore and gold digger about women with older men. in this case it is one of our own and he was/ is a gold digging whore. instead of surviving on multiple paying clients like an escort he went for the big money paying jon.

Nothing but a gold digger. More power to him.

Posted by: pacificoceanboy | May 7, 2007 9:24:10 PM

15. The kid was given the chance of a lifetime and couldn't cut it. Pretty much a non-story.

Posted by: Rascal | May 7, 2007 9:25:47 PM

16. Sasha, Lord Brown resigned because he lied in court about how he met Chevalier (which was through a kinky escort website). It had nothing to do with company money spent on Chevalier. BP found nothing wrong with what Brown did when it came to company finances. The issue that forced him to resign was perjury.

I wouldn't characterize what happened to Brown as homophobic. It was his fault. Had he lied in court about how he met a female escort, the outcome would have been the same. it would still have been perjury, and he would still have to resign. He was trying to cover up was the fact that he met Chevalier through a kinky escort website, not that he had a male lover. While he wasn't out to the public, his colleagues knew he was gay.

Posted by: SGR | May 7, 2007 9:57:51 PM

17. Obviously I don't know the back story, but I feel very sorry for Lord Brown. No matter how the breakup went down it's no excuse to destroy someone's life.

Chevalier seems like a self-absorbed, childish scumbag.

Posted by: Greg | May 7, 2007 10:10:30 PM

18. blech. i need to take a shower after reading this shit. truly no need to hire an escort for services rendered esp. when you're out of the closet. that twink is not even attractive. puh-leeze or should i say puh-sleeze.

Posted by: sean | May 7, 2007 10:53:03 PM

19. I read this crap waiting to see the misuse of funds or whatever illegal on unethical thing this guy had done for him to be pushed into the middle of a scandal and out of his job. But this article had nothing but pillowtalk from a gold digger.
    Very sad.

Posted by: Al | May 7, 2007 11:00:48 PM

20. The dudelet is ugly as a toad. Browne must be really self hating to get himself into a situation where he loses 30 million $ and a career on a boy so stupid&hateful&venal and cold as a fish. Can't a millionaire find a decent boyfriend through acquaintances? That really illustrates what decades of closet can do to a man.

Posted by: Themistocle | May 7, 2007 11:34:00 PM

21. The dudelet is ugly as a toad. Browne must be really self hating to get himself into a situation where he loses 30 million $ and a career on a boy so stupid&hateful&venal and cold as a fish. Can't a millionaire find a decent boyfriend through acquaintances? That really illustrates what decades of closet can do to a man.

Posted by: Themistocle | May 7, 2007 11:35:14 PM

22. Browne sounds like a whore of another sort--a businessman consorting with people whose connections benefit him (and vice versa). I can't say as either of them strikes me as sympathetic

Posted by: Rich | May 8, 2007 12:05:34 AM

23. All Chevalier had to do was be a good piece of eye-candy and he wasn't up to that. He suffered from "panic attacks" because he
    couldn't remember Elton John's name. How lame! And why didn't
    he simply save some of his money and even pursue some sort of
    career? It's not that he's an escort - he's a lazy escort.

Posted by: gr8guyca | May 8, 2007 12:42:15 AM

24. OMG it's a modern day "Working Girl" since when was good manners for an escort to become shiftless? Girl, get back out on the corner and suck some dick like you're paid to do!

Posted by: danielhh | May 8, 2007 6:21:01 AM

25. Wow - when are these guys going to learn not to piss off their man-whores?

Posted by: shane | May 8, 2007 7:25:28 AM