Film | Freddie Mercury | Music | News | Playing Gay | Sacha Baron-Cohen

BigGayDeal.com

Sacha Baron Cohen to Play Freddie Mercury in New Film

Borat

MercurySacha Baron Cohen has reportedly beat out Johnny Depp for the chance to play legendary Queen frontman Freddie Mercury in an upcoming biopic on the singer's life. Discussions with Depp that Queen guitarist Brian May talked about in December have apparently fallen through.

At the time, the film was in development with Robert DeNiro's Tribeca Productions. Said a source to the UK tabloid The Mirror: "Film makers are working flat out to get the best possible script. Sacha loves the idea he can get away with playing Freddie after modelling Borat's look on him."

Said Borat: "Niiiiiiiice."

UPDATE: Sacha Baron Cohen's publicist has denied this report from The Mirror, calling it "pure hokum".

You may have missed...
Johnny Depp May Play Freddie Mercury in New Biopic [tr]
Zanzibar Muslims Shun Freddie Mercury [tr]

Comments

1. Thank GOD! Johnny Depp, while a great actor in his own right, would have been a complete JOKE as Freddie Mercury.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | May 4, 2007 4:42:46 PM

2. Freddie Mercury 5'9 persian zorastrian

Cohen 6'3 jewish

Uhmmmmmmmmmmm not a good match up. He is 1/2 a foot too tall to play Freddie mercury. Persians are caucasian not semitic. Uhmmmmmmmm What numbnut casting agent thought this would be a good idea?

Posted by: pacificoceanboy | May 4, 2007 5:01:36 PM

3. Pacifico, since when can you read religion off someone's face? Jews lived in Persia for centuries and as East Mediterraneans are not so different looking. You misuse the terms 'Semitic' and especially 'Caucasian', which embraces everyone from Ireland to Sri Lanka. You mean "Aryan", which is a linguistic term, thereby totally confusing the issue. You LA Persian Boyz can be SO tetchy about your ethnicity!

Posted by: Hadassah | May 4, 2007 5:12:40 PM

4. Depp wanted too much money. Next!

Posted by: anon | May 4, 2007 5:15:10 PM

5. Had just type in Freddie mercury and read one of the thousands of bios. freddie was born to 2 persian parents and was raised a practitioner of zorastrism.

But that is a side issue. 1/2 foot height difference is HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it would also be nice to have an actual gay actor play the part. I am tired of all these striaghts playing gay roles. though that is only speculation on Cohen being straibght.

The height difference is accurate and the ethnicity difference is accurate per any easily found bio on the net

heck I am still upset about scots irish men (I am scots irish) playing greeks in 300. hadash I just prefer more accuracy in my movies

Posted by: pacificoceanboy | May 4, 2007 5:18:40 PM

6. sorry for my typos

Posted by: pacificoceanboy | May 4, 2007 5:20:18 PM

7. Hey Pacifico, I agree about Cohen's straightness being unfounded speculation - in his immediately next film he plays a gay Austrian hairdresser named Bruno and now this...hmm. Once and you are a character actor; twice in a row and you're Family!
    As for 300, only Persians complained about the depictions - certainly not the Scottish, who are flattered by the heroic roles. You can't fool me, Azizam!

Posted by: Hadassah | May 4, 2007 5:28:11 PM

8. Oh well...yet another Baron-Cohen movie to add to my list of movies NOT to see. It's a shame since Mercury would have been an interesting subject...especially if they included his living in (gay) Munich away from London's paparazzi. Freddie was this 'wee thing' who's personality filled a stage or TV screen, "Borat" is physically too-large...and the audience will just see Borat pretending to be a rock-star...a parody at-best. Yeech!

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | May 4, 2007 5:34:11 PM

9. Had LOL Persians are supposed to be super hung and the best lovers on earth + i always wanted a hairy chest. Alas i am just hung large (vs persian super hung), great, and smooth scots irish. :-)

Ok lets say ignore the ethnicty difference.

HEIGHT wise 1/2 a foot is HUGEEEEEEEE freddy was a shorty not a giant. You are going to tell me that seeing a freddie on the screen taller then everybody else ,though all the videos show he was shorter than everybody else , won't bother you?

Posted by: pacificoceanboy | May 4, 2007 5:40:25 PM

10. Ick! I can't believe they would do that to Freddie.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | May 4, 2007 5:58:54 PM

11. Pboyo, what's the last Tom Cruise movie you saw where it was apparent that the superstar is about 5'2" in heels?

Height discrepancies are one of the most easily surmountable casting problems. Especially for lead roles.

Believe it or not, Dominic Monaghan, Elijah Wood and Sean Astin are not actually 3 feet tall.

If you have that little faith in acting (or the magic of film), stick to documentaries.

Posted by: 24play | May 4, 2007 6:06:11 PM

12. Pboyo, what's the last Tom Cruise movie you saw where it was apparent that the superstar is about 5'2" in heels?

Posted by: 24play | May 4, 2007 6:07:21 PM

13. 24

Please learn the difference between fiction (all of your examples) and non fiction ( a story about freddie mercury)

Posted by: pacificoceanboy | May 4, 2007 6:28:32 PM

14. I think he might be good in the role, kind of a similar look, I just hope its not an over the top campy type movie. As for Persians, and Jews, and others from that area its all good, I still just don't get why the ones in LA/OC get angry when they are thought to be Mexican and why they just don't call themselves what they are, Iranians, since I still haven't seen Persia on a current map of the world.

Posted by: Tim | May 4, 2007 6:51:38 PM

15. Depp wanted too much money. Next!

Posted by: anon | May 4, 2007 5:15:10 PM

Did a google search and not one mention of money being an issue, do you have and inside track ANON?

As for Cohen doing the role, I have a real problem with a self described religious conservative playing a gay man. Depp can fill any role he takes on. Which after the proof of his draw with the Pirates flicks, he is not just a talented acto, he is not box office poison, a term they first tagged on Kate Hepurn, who has the most Oscars under her belt as an actor.

Posted by: patrick nyc | May 4, 2007 7:13:08 PM

16. Sacha Baron Cohen's a religios conservative?

Posted by: Daniel | May 4, 2007 7:57:02 PM

17. I've never thought Sacha playing Freddie, but it doesn't seem like a bad idea to me. The resemblance is there, no doubt. Height doesn't matter (solution is to hire all tall actors). I can see him playing Freddie because comedians are some of the best actors. Even dramatic actors say that comedy is harder. Cohen seems like someone who is a perfectionist and dedicated to his characters so I'm interested in seeing how well he does in a serious role. It would be amazing to see if Sacha can do crying scenes. Johnny Depp is overrated anyways. I wasn't too thrilled about Johnny Depp because he takes himself too seriously. This is definitely a casting risk, and I'll show up at the theater to see how well Sacha does.

Posted by: Ed | May 4, 2007 8:35:20 PM

18. Why does it have to be between depp and Cohen

Neither should play the part in my opnion.

A 5'9 openly gay and proud of it talented actor that doesn't cost an arm and a leg shouldn't be hard to find in hollywood.

Posted by: pacificoceanboy | May 4, 2007 8:52:07 PM

19. I can't think of anyone else I'd rather see cast in the role, really.

Posted by: Dave | May 4, 2007 9:34:02 PM

20. "Sacha Baron Cohen's a religios conservative?"
    Posted by: Daniel | May 4, 2007 7:57:02 PM

According to Baron Cohen, "I wouldn't say that I am a religious Jew, but I'm still proud to be Jewish."[10]. However, he keeps kosher and generally observes the Jewish Sabbath, refusing to answer the phone on Shabbat. [4][5][6]

Sounds religous to me, that is unless it keeps him from making money that is. He'll only answer the phone if it means he gets a role.

Posted by: patrick nyc | May 4, 2007 9:54:31 PM

21. "Sacha Baron Cohen's a religios conservative?"
    Posted by: Daniel | May 4, 2007 7:57:02 PM

According to Baron Cohen, "I wouldn't say that I am a religious Jew, but I'm still proud to be Jewish." However, he keeps kosher and generally observes the Jewish Sabbath, refusing to answer the phone on Shabbat.

Posted by: patrick nyc | May 4, 2007 9:59:03 PM

22. I was intrigued by this selection, as clearly Sacha Baron Cohen can fully inhabit a role... but I feel like I won't be able to get past the fact that their version of Freddie Mercury will look mysteriously like Borat.
    That might just be the 'stache, though. Did FM always have facial hair?

Posted by: Harrison | May 4, 2007 10:02:49 PM

23. That's so weird...

Posted by: FanGirlHater | May 5, 2007 4:11:24 AM

24. Freddie was a bit before my time so...

after his death were they any reports on his love life they were uncovered. If so do we think they'll be made part of the movie?

Posted by: stephen | May 5, 2007 5:48:06 AM

25. Call me crazy, but I always thought Ewan McGregor had Mercury-esque facial features -- particularly the gap-teeth. And, hey, you know he wouldn't be shy about getting his kit off...

Posted by: J'ason D'luv | May 5, 2007 4:48:28 PM