Ann Coulter | Election 2008 | Elizabeth Edwards | John Edwards | News

Elizabeth Edwards to Ann Coulter: Stop the Personal Attacks

Elizabeth Edwards called in to Hardball with Chris Matthews to tell Ann Coulter to stop the personal attacks against her husband and her family and deal with the issues.

Chris Matthews: You know who's on the line? Somebody to respond to what you said Edwards yesterday morning -- Elizabeth Edwards. She wanted to call in today we said she could. Elizabeth Edwards go on the line you're on the line with Ann Coulter

Elizabeth Edwards: Hello, Chris.

Matthews: You wanna say something directly to the person who's with me?

Edwards: I'm calling you … in the South when someone does something that displeases us, we wanna ask them politely to stop doing it. Uh - I'd like to ask Ann Coulter -- if she wants to debate on issues, on positions -- we certainly disagree with nearly everything she said on your show today -- but uh it's quite another matter for these personal attacks that the things she has said over the years not just about John but about other candidates. It lowers our political dialogue precisely at the time that we need to raise it. So I want to use the opportunity … to ask her politely stop the personal attacks.

Ann Coulter: OK, so I made a joke -- let's see six months ago -- and as you point out they've been raising money off of it for six months since then.

Matthews: This is yesterday morning, what you said about him.

Coulter: I didn't say anything about him actually either time.

Edwards: Ann, you know that's not true. And once more its been going on for sometime.

Coulter: I don't mind you trying to raise money. I mean it's better this than giving $50,000 speeches to the poor.

Edwards: I'm asking you.

Coulter: Just to use my name on the Web pages…

Edwards: I'm asking you politely…

Coulter: ...but as for a debate with me, um yeah, sure. Yeah, we'll have a debate

Edwards: I'm asking you politely to stop personal attacks.

Coulter: How bout you stop raising money on the Web page then?

Edwards: It didn't start it did not...

Coulter: No you don't have cause I don't mind

Edwards: It did not start with that you had a column a number of years ago

Coulter: OK, great the wife of a presidential candidate is calling in asking me to stop speaking...

Matthews: Let her finish the point...

Coulter: You're asking me to stop speaking, stop writing columns, stop writing your books.

Matthews: OK, Ann. Please.

Coulter: OK

Edwards: You wrote a column a couple years ago which made fun of the moment of Charlie Dean's death, and suggested that my husband had a bumper sticker on the back of his car that said ask me about my dead son. This is not legitimate political dialogue.

Coulter: That's now three years ago --

Edwards: It debases political dialogue. It drives people away from the process. We can't have a debate about issues if you're using this kind of language.

Coulter: Yeah why isn't John Edwards making this call?

Matthews: Well do you want to respond and we'll end this conversation?

Edwards: I haven't talked to John about this call.

Coulter: This is just another attempt for –

Edwards: I'm making this call as a mother. I'm the mother of that boy who died. My children participate -- these young people behind you are the age of my children. You're asking them to participate in a dialogue that's based on hatefulness and ugliness instead of on the issues and I don't think that's serving them or this country very well.

[The crowd applauds]

Matthews: Thank you very much Elizabeth Edwards. (To Coulter) Do you want to -- you have all the time in the world to respond.

Coulter: I think we heard all we need to hear. The wife of a presidential candidate is asking me to stop speaking. No.

And finally...

Comments

1. test

Posted by: andy | Jun 27, 2007 11:24:04 AM

2. And here we are giving a sideshow circus act like Coulter the audience she wants.

Coulter is not some evil right wing nutjob who's hellbent on wiping out liberals. She is a performer whose job it is to push buttons and get attention. She does that by making outlandish statements - statements she is smart enough to know will get her the attention her career needs.

The sooner we put Ann Coulter into perspective with this the sooner she has no more power to get noticed.

Posted by: mark m | Jun 27, 2007 11:26:25 AM

3. When, oh when, will people stop having that woman on their show? I'm all for free speech, and she's welcome to say whatever she wants (no matter how repulsive)... but networks shouldn't be giving her airtime. Elizabeth Edwards is right. Her base and insulting commentary really has nothing to do with the issues at hand. It's all about insulting people publicly, and drives people away from the dialogue.

Of course, it is entirely possible that Coulter is a plant from the DNC... she does more to encourage progressive political thought than anyone has admitted to date. It's amazing how conservatives sometimes can't stand her... I guess it's hard to look at your own political and social views when they're taken to their logical, if absurd, conclusion.

Posted by: Brian | Jun 27, 2007 11:26:55 AM

4. Elizabeth Edwards is my hero and she's the best asset John Edwards has. FINALLY, someone has called out Ann Coulter on her BS. FINALLY, someone has stood up to the bully on national TV. Elizabeth Edwards has guts and integrity and I love her.

Posted by: sam | Jun 27, 2007 11:26:58 AM

5. Her "assholishness" speaks for itself. No critique needed.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Jun 27, 2007 11:32:04 AM

6. That's it...I'm going to kill her.

Posted by: Kayla | Jun 27, 2007 11:32:41 AM

7. I continue to be amazed that any network or legitimate news organization would provide this hateful woman(Is she even human?)a platform to spew her lies. With an abundance of qualified conservative pundits who are able to provide well considered arguments to support their positions, I can see only one reason to invite someone who has to resort to circular logic based on unsupportable assumptions. These programs are in fact appealing to the lowest common denominator ala Jerry Springer. I refuse to watch Ann Coulter and have informed all of the major news programs and networks that if I know she will be on their program I will turn them off. It's illegal to kill the bitch but I refuse to support the businesses that sign her checks.

Posted by: rayrayj | Jun 27, 2007 11:35:18 AM

8. She deserves absolutely no airtime or comment. Maybe if the "news" networks weren't trying to raise ratings by shocking people, she would dissolve into the nothingness she deserves.

Funny yet Sexist Margaret Cho joke about Ann Coulter: I listen to Ann Coulter and she gets me so angry and fired up I can't help but think...THAT'S WHY WOMEN SHOULDN'T WORK!!!!"

Posted by: Dave | Jun 27, 2007 11:38:07 AM

9. I agree with Andy: she;s amking a career and money out of the "shock" factor. I'm sure she also believes in most of the crap she writes and speaks, but she's getting the attention she wants. It's time to ignore her completely.

Posted by: Dutchimport | Jun 27, 2007 11:40:33 AM

10. I liked it better when everyone was actively ignoring her. I would like to submit my own humble request that we continue to do so.

Posted by: Dean | Jun 27, 2007 11:59:41 AM

11. DOUCHE

Posted by: CHUX | Jun 27, 2007 12:00:09 PM

12. What a vile, disgusting, hateful CUNT

Posted by: Ian | Jun 27, 2007 12:05:27 PM

13. Thank you Dean. I second that request.

But again I would like to thank Elizabeth for the second time in two days... Wow. I never thought I would ever be able to do that with a politician. Again these people are growing on me.

Posted by: BVC | Jun 27, 2007 12:09:06 PM

14. Someone should punch her in the baby maker.

Posted by: RP | Jun 27, 2007 12:13:50 PM

15. hello? you ignore her by *ignoring* her. clearing watching the video, reading about her here, and posting your opinion about her is NOT ignoring her. if you want to ignore her, take your own advise and move on.

Posted by: Sean | Jun 27, 2007 12:15:26 PM

16. Herein lies the problem with the media. She makes outlandish comments, gets a good number of people completely worked up, whether you hate her OR love her, and the next thing you know, she's back on the air because she gets people talking/screaming/gnashing and more important watching, and thus, she unfortunately doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

It's like Beverly Hills, 90210. Everyone knows that Shannon Doherty was a terror to work with. She was brash and arrogant and pissed off most of the cast (according to rumors). So, Spelling canned her (I am not positive of that). She went away. No more Brenda, no more insane brunette, not as many viewers (please note: I also have no proof of that).

So I think Chris Matthews and the like have learned from Spelling's mistake. Even though Shannon Doherty sucked on set, Brenda brought in viewers. Ann Coulter sucks all around, but people watch her because of that. Hence, she (sadly) isn't going anywhere. And while it's nice to see Edwards putting her in her place, she just sparked more interest in Coulter and her dialogue.

(Please note: my analogies make no sense. I miss 90210).

Posted by: David | Jun 27, 2007 12:21:43 PM

17. As much as I agree with the "ignore her" sentiment, I find it impossible to do. Because, aside from her rhetoric being, in my opinion, the absolute most infuriating out there, there's also the fact that HORDES of people idolize her, regard her as a "straight shooter" and follow her around like puppy dogs. If EVERYONE had the wherewithal to regard her as what she is, it would be different. But she's a hero to a wide majority of those on the Right who don't even realize that she is, apart from everything else ideologically, a fucking LIAR.

Posted by: John | Jun 27, 2007 12:26:40 PM

18. anyone else annoyed by that weird blonde giggling troll girl behind coulter?

Posted by: sam | Jun 27, 2007 12:26:53 PM

19. I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but I think an even better way of dealing with Coulter than ignoring her is to change the way you see her. She used to get me worked up too. I had all sorts of evil thoughts about what should be done with her or to her and then someone described her in a way that completely took away the anger and emotion.

She's an act. She performs. She's transparent. She has nothing intelligent to contribute and everything to gain by being controversial.

Just like Fred Phelps and his Clan. Their act is to provoke. They are trying to get a response. You want to hurt them where it counts? Be indifferent.

I'm not saying we shouldn't fight our enemies but our enemies are the wolves in sheep's clothing, the ones who have the real power to affect our lives. These circus acts simply distract us.

"Meh..." thats what I say... and it's so liberating!

Posted by: mark m | Jun 27, 2007 12:30:01 PM

20. Do note that the crowd applauded Elizabeth Edwards when she mentioned to Ann, "You're asking them to participate in a dialogue that's based on hatefulness and ugliness instead of on the issues and I don't think that's serving them or this country very well." I like to give people the benefit of the doubt that they recognize hate when they see or hear it. Unfortunately, the choices people make whether to encourage, ignore, or confront that hate isn't universal. I'm starting to be a big fan of the Edwards camp...but it's still WAY TOO EARLY.

Posted by: Will | Jun 27, 2007 12:31:30 PM

21. John, you're right, many right-wingers love her because she pisses off the left. If the left stopped taking her bait, her appeal - even with the right wingers - would drop.

Posted by: carter | Jun 27, 2007 12:34:14 PM

22. David has the ace here. Comparing her to 90210. I was going to say Paris.

We are so far into the dialog with these ridiculous personages that not featuring what they say seems negligent.

But all it would take is not featuring them. I am going to repeat that... All it would take would be not featuring them.

Of course if they are featured on a blog, on a show we are going to watch. Just like a catastrophic fire. Just like a car wreck.

The funny thing about Shannon (Brenda) is I miss her (thanks David). I don't think I would miss the A&P.

Posted by: Br!on | Jun 27, 2007 12:41:20 PM

23. Although on some level I'm compelled to read the posts about her when they are here, Andy I would never be one to suggest you NOT post anything, but putting her on here regardless of the circumstances just feels like it is giving her more exposure. Unless of course your post has something to do with someone killing her. Then it would probably be OK.

Posted by: JR | Jun 27, 2007 12:41:20 PM

24. ann who?! a mere pimple on the ass of society.

Posted by: sean | Jun 27, 2007 12:48:50 PM

25. Two detestable cable blowhards, Coulter and Matthews, utterly startled by a voice that eschews their navel gazing partisan punditry.

Savor the moment. Normal cable stupidity will resume shortly.

Posted by: FASTLAD | Jun 27, 2007 1:02:38 PM