Great Britain | Music | News

Opera Singer Paul Potts Wins Britain's Got Talent

Paul Potts, the 36-year-old mobile phone salesman I featured last week with Craig the baton-twirler, has won Britain's Got Talent. He has won the right to perform in front of the Queen at the Royal Variety Show – and a cash prize of £100,000. Here is his performance in the final.

Potts says he'll begin spending his prize winnings on a set of new teeth.

Comments

1. I'm so happy he won. He's incredible and deserves it.

Posted by: Bobby | Jun 18, 2007 1:14:30 PM

2. I'm no opera aficionado, but I have heard "Nessun Dorma" a number of times sung by real opera singers and in comparison, that man did NOT have talent.

Posted by: Stenar | Jun 18, 2007 6:16:21 PM

3. Yay, Pol Pot is finally getting his teeth fixed!

Posted by: DH Pierce | Jun 18, 2007 8:00:28 PM

4. He's actually sort of pro-am already, which weakens the sense of "discovery".

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Jun 19, 2007 12:47:59 AM

5. One out of four...thanks Bobby, the entire Britain's Got Talent was the only Simon Cowell show ever worth watching.

As for you other three miscreants...'NOT talented', 'Pol Pot', 'pro-am' - feek off and just try in your sad little existences to see a bit of bright light in others achievements as apparently 12.5 million Brits did. Again, this is why I wonder why I even bother reading blog responses. I pity Andy and his good work some time.

Posted by: lead | Jun 19, 2007 1:36:28 AM

6. Paul Potts' win was a rare beautiful moment in the crass exercise in commercialism and idiocy that all of those "...Got Talent" shows have been. Maybe he's not Placido Domingo, yet, but he has the potential to reach into that realm if given the proper training and support.

And catty little comments about his teeth are really childish and brutally superficial.

Posted by: jemmytee | Jun 19, 2007 1:41:21 AM

7. The announcement of the winner:

Posted by: Mike | Jun 19, 2007 6:29:34 AM

8. Great news.
    I am sort of happy, because he does stand for a different type of celebrity that is completely different from the star doomed reality tv stars.

Thank you for sharing this story with me !

Posted by: Lena loves pictures | Jun 19, 2007 10:27:37 AM