Gay Rights | Iraq | News | Republican Party

BigGayDeal.com

A Visit to the College Republican National Convention

Untitled from huffpost and Vimeo.

In March we featured a great video by The Huffington Post's Max Blumenthal as he ambushed the Conservative Political Action Conference shortly after Ann Coulter made her f-bomb comment about John Edwards.

This time, Blumenthal visits the College Republican National Convention and discovers that hypocrisy starts at an early age.

Notes Blumenthal: "In conversations with at least twenty College Republicans about the war in Iraq, I listened as they lip-synched discredited cant about 'fighting them over there so we don't have to fight them over here.' Many of the young GOP cadres I met described the so-called 'war on terror' as nothing less than the cause of their time. Yet when I asked these College Repulicans why they were not participating in this historical cause, they immediately went into contortions. Asthma. Bad knees from playing catcher in high school. 'Medical reasons.' 'It's not for me.' These were some of the excuses College Republicans offered for why they could not fight them 'over there.' Like the current Republican leaders who skipped out on Vietnam, the GOP's next generation would rather cheerlead from the sidelines for the war in Iraq while other, less privileged young men and women fight and die."

Loving the suppressed gay Republican too.

Generation Chickenhawk: the Unauthorized College Republican Convention Tour [huffington post]

you may have missed...
Politicians React to Ann Coulter Gay Slur and CPAC Events [tr]

Comments

1. Cyd Z. is gonna rail on you Andy about all this hate you're spewing by even featuring this. LOL

Posted by: Mike | Jul 19, 2007 9:01:56 AM

2. Ah...I remember being a young Republican once. The notions of small government, less taxes parading through my head gave me goosebumps. But then I came out and realized that all politicians are the same and I became a true homosexual. I work my fingers to the bone to have nice things, I decorate my loft, I go out with friends to the bar on Friday and Saturday night to be seen, and have meaningless one night stands and I haven't voted since I was 18 thinking my vote meant something. Ahh...those were the days.

Posted by: Matt | Jul 19, 2007 9:19:17 AM

3. "I'm doing an interpretative dance"

LOL. Too funny.

Posted by: Jez | Jul 19, 2007 9:24:07 AM

4. Matt, your embracing of all stereotypes - either those that dictate how you live or how you perceive others to live - is very telling.

It's cute in a foolish-twit sort of way. I can only hope that you're just young and ignorant and not clinging to your misguided worldview past any respectable age.

Posted by: Rey | Jul 19, 2007 10:13:41 AM

5. Rey,

First, it's "you're" not "your". Second, can't you detect sarcasm in my statement? Although it is true, I no longer vote.

Posted by: Matt | Jul 19, 2007 10:27:38 AM

6. If I may be permitted to make a crude joke, I'm sure more than one guy at that convention is a catcher.

Posted by: Joel | Jul 19, 2007 10:28:00 AM

7. I agree Joel. I heard at least 2 lispers. The African american brother and the cowboy. Toss in the trying to be uber butch metrosexual dude who probably hangs at leather bars and I counted 3 likely log cabinites.

Posted by: anon | Jul 19, 2007 10:32:19 AM

8. PS

Hypocrites one and all. Support for this fiasco should equal mandatory service in the armed forces.

Posted by: anon | Jul 19, 2007 10:33:25 AM

9. Actually matt, he used it correctly every time if you read it as a whole phrase. so put the bitchy grammar red pen back in your pants.

and take the 5 minutes it takes to vote to vote instead of miscorrecting spelling.

Posted by: nycredneck | Jul 19, 2007 10:35:42 AM

10. So true, Joel. Like giggly guy in the red shirt from, I think, Wabash. I predict that in a few years he'll be regretting his young Republican days.

And don't even get me started on the guy who's prayed about his same sex attraction and discovered that he's straight. Actually, I think he is straight, and was just repeating some bull s**t line from his "Christian" academy.

Delay: If we didn't abort babies we wouldn't need immigrants. Breathtaking. Ignorant, racist, bizarre, and I'm sure thoroughly convincing to the entire audience. I guess all those aborted babies would be out picking fruit right now. All those young, white Republicans need to go breed more white Republican babies right now!

Posted by: sam | Jul 19, 2007 10:36:47 AM

11. Actually, Matt, Rey's grammar and usage were correct. Often mine is not, but his was.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 19, 2007 10:40:28 AM

12. And after an afternoon of pat responses and spouting Bushism, I'll bet many of these boys go back to their hotel rooms and smoke crystal meth.

I was a young Republican too, but my reason was the false assumption that the Republicans upheld my Christian values. Boy was I naive.

Posted by: mark m | Jul 19, 2007 10:44:04 AM

13. Sam

Yeah I picked up on the whole "cheap labor is the holy grail schtick."

I am pro choice, but I can totaly agree to disagree with an anti-choice person WHO HAS ADOPTED an unwanted child and believes in such for some spiritual reason. BUT because some american companies want cheap labor????? There is something seriously F'd up about that kind of mind set.

Posted by: anon | Jul 19, 2007 10:44:59 AM

14. Matt, NYCREDNECK is correct. My usage of the possessive your instead of the contraction is absolutely correct. Not that nitpicking is relevant to anything.

I'm oh so very sorry I didn't note the very witty sarcasm in your extremely eloquent post. (See - embellishing to an extreme degree really conveys sarcasm.) Besides, why would you say such things? What made you select those stereotypical behaviors that you sarcastically ascribed to all gay "liberals", or non-Republicans, or whoever you were trying to malign?

That being said, when the next election comes around, try logging off of the computer and stepping into the real world to engage in some responsible behavior.

Posted by: Rey | Jul 19, 2007 10:45:04 AM

15. I love the bumper sticker "Draft College Republicans". What total hypocrits they are.

Posted by: Patrick | Jul 19, 2007 10:45:25 AM

16. Matt--

As others have said, Rey's grammar is actually quite correct.

As for your tirade: what, precisely, is your point? Do you consider that a clever lampooning of stereotypes about urban gay men? Because to me, it rather reeks of self-loathing.

Posted by: Dan E | Jul 19, 2007 10:47:16 AM

17. Rey,

I didn't realize it was possesive. I thought you were saying "you are embracing". And as far as not voting, it's my right as an American not to vote. That's my freedom. Just like it's my freedom to post whatever I like.

Posted by: Matt | Jul 19, 2007 10:49:45 AM

18. You're absolutely right Matt. You have those freedoms. One of those freedoms, however, does not include the freedom from being called on it.

Posted by: mark m | Jul 19, 2007 10:52:54 AM

19. sad sack of shits

Posted by: Vinny | Jul 19, 2007 10:56:54 AM

20. most times this comment feat. of this blog is like junior high. and a high proportion of those repubs have oatmeal for brains.

Posted by: sean | Jul 19, 2007 10:58:06 AM

21. You're absolutely right Mark M. It would be stupid of me to make statements and then be offended if someone disagreed with me.

Posted by: Matt | Jul 19, 2007 10:59:27 AM

22. So instead you'd rather try to pick apart somebody's grammar or spelling? I don't get it.

Posted by: Rey | Jul 19, 2007 11:05:05 AM

23. I for one prefer that MORE ignorant, uninformed/misinformed people make the choice not vote.

We have WAY too many sheep (Democrat and Republican) voting already.

Posted by: Zeke | Jul 19, 2007 11:05:36 AM

24. I miss the days when politics were completely devoid of morality. :-\

Posted by: Iko | Jul 19, 2007 11:08:47 AM

25. These are obviously hand selected Republican college kids, not rank-and-file members. It's hard to say if normal members of the party are more or less inclined to join the military than other citizens, or if this was a representative sample (and if they had already joined they wouldn't be at this convention of course). That said, draft dodgers Bush and Cheney would be proud of their evasiveness. Max is Sydney's son of course, so he has to tread very lightly when it comes to the hypocrisy of putting party or personal stuff before country and principle, and he would not be a privileged blogger with a camera crew were it not for his father.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Jul 19, 2007 11:17:51 AM