A Visit to the College Republican National Convention

Untitled from huffpost and Vimeo.

In March we featured a great video by The Huffington Post’s Max Blumenthal as he ambushed the Conservative Political Action Conference shortly after Ann Coulter made her f-bomb comment about John Edwards.

This time, Blumenthal visits the College Republican National Convention and discovers that hypocrisy starts at an early age.

Notes Blumenthal: “In conversations with at least twenty College Republicans about the war in Iraq, I listened as they lip-synched discredited cant about ‘fighting them over there so we don’t have to fight them over here.’ Many of the young GOP cadres I met described the so-called ‘war on terror’ as nothing less than the cause of their time. Yet when I asked these College Repulicans why they were not participating in this historical cause, they immediately went into contortions. Asthma. Bad knees from playing catcher in high school. ‘Medical reasons.’ ‘It’s not for me.’ These were some of the excuses College Republicans offered for why they could not fight them ‘over there.’ Like the current Republican leaders who skipped out on Vietnam, the GOP’s next generation would rather cheerlead from the sidelines for the war in Iraq while other, less privileged young men and women fight and die.”

Loving the suppressed gay Republican too.

Generation Chickenhawk: the Unauthorized College Republican Convention Tour [huffington post]

you may have missed…
Politicians React to Ann Coulter Gay Slur and CPAC Events [tr]

Comments

1. Matt says

Ah…I remember being a young Republican once. The notions of small government, less taxes parading through my head gave me goosebumps. But then I came out and realized that all politicians are the same and I became a true homosexual. I work my fingers to the bone to have nice things, I decorate my loft, I go out with friends to the bar on Friday and Saturday night to be seen, and have meaningless one night stands and I haven’t voted since I was 18 thinking my vote meant something. Ahh…those were the days.

2. Rey says

Matt, your embracing of all stereotypes – either those that dictate how you live or how you perceive others to live – is very telling.

It’s cute in a foolish-twit sort of way. I can only hope that you’re just young and ignorant and not clinging to your misguided worldview past any respectable age.

3. anon says

I agree Joel. I heard at least 2 lispers. The African american brother and the cowboy. Toss in the trying to be uber butch metrosexual dude who probably hangs at leather bars and I counted 3 likely log cabinites.

4. nycredneck says

Actually matt, he used it correctly every time if you read it as a whole phrase. so put the bitchy grammar red pen back in your pants.

and take the 5 minutes it takes to vote to vote instead of miscorrecting spelling.

5. sam says

So true, Joel. Like giggly guy in the red shirt from, I think, Wabash. I predict that in a few years he’ll be regretting his young Republican days.

And don’t even get me started on the guy who’s prayed about his same sex attraction and discovered that he’s straight. Actually, I think he is straight, and was just repeating some bull s**t line from his “Christian” academy.

Delay: If we didn’t abort babies we wouldn’t need immigrants. Breathtaking. Ignorant, racist, bizarre, and I’m sure thoroughly convincing to the entire audience. I guess all those aborted babies would be out picking fruit right now. All those young, white Republicans need to go breed more white Republican babies right now!

6. mark m says

And after an afternoon of pat responses and spouting Bushism, I’ll bet many of these boys go back to their hotel rooms and smoke crystal meth.

I was a young Republican too, but my reason was the false assumption that the Republicans upheld my Christian values. Boy was I naive.

7. anon says

Sam

Yeah I picked up on the whole “cheap labor is the holy grail schtick.”

I am pro choice, but I can totaly agree to disagree with an anti-choice person WHO HAS ADOPTED an unwanted child and believes in such for some spiritual reason. BUT because some american companies want cheap labor????? There is something seriously F’d up about that kind of mind set.

8. Rey says

Matt, NYCREDNECK is correct. My usage of the possessive your instead of the contraction is absolutely correct. Not that nitpicking is relevant to anything.

I’m oh so very sorry I didn’t note the very witty sarcasm in your extremely eloquent post. (See – embellishing to an extreme degree really conveys sarcasm.) Besides, why would you say such things? What made you select those stereotypical behaviors that you sarcastically ascribed to all gay “liberals”, or non-Republicans, or whoever you were trying to malign?

That being said, when the next election comes around, try logging off of the computer and stepping into the real world to engage in some responsible behavior.

9. Dan E says

Matt–

As others have said, Rey’s grammar is actually quite correct.

As for your tirade: what, precisely, is your point? Do you consider that a clever lampooning of stereotypes about urban gay men? Because to me, it rather reeks of self-loathing.

10. Matt says

Rey,

I didn’t realize it was possesive. I thought you were saying “you are embracing”. And as far as not voting, it’s my right as an American not to vote. That’s my freedom. Just like it’s my freedom to post whatever I like.

11. Zeke says

I for one prefer that MORE ignorant, uninformed/misinformed people make the choice not vote.

We have WAY too many sheep (Democrat and Republican) voting already.

12. anon (gmail.com) says

These are obviously hand selected Republican college kids, not rank-and-file members. It’s hard to say if normal members of the party are more or less inclined to join the military than other citizens, or if this was a representative sample (and if they had already joined they wouldn’t be at this convention of course). That said, draft dodgers Bush and Cheney would be proud of their evasiveness. Max is Sydney’s son of course, so he has to tread very lightly when it comes to the hypocrisy of putting party or personal stuff before country and principle, and he would not be a privileged blogger with a camera crew were it not for his father.

13. Matt says

I can understand the gays and lesbians not liking Republicans. The Republicans don’t want gay marriage. But what I don’t understand is why the gays support of Hillary, Obama, or Edwards. Neither of them wants gay marriage. Why not support someone like Kucinich who approves of gay marriage? The Democrats have finally started to wise up and court the Christian base. If anyone saw Anderson Cooper last night, they discussed that the Democrats know that 85% of people in this country adentify as Christian. That’s why you have seen more Democrats actively talking about their religious beliefs.

14. Chris says

Actually, Matt, “neither” would be used when referring to two. You’d have to say “none of them want” to be correct.

I mean, as long as we’re all being childish morons here, I might as well join in (being a childish moron and all).

15. Chris says

16. says

it’s spectacular to read these comments and realize that the subject is essentially ignored and it becomes a bitch fight between queens. Or, an innuendo contest on who might be gay in the video. How sad we have become.

17. Marco says

Fuck you, Randy. (that was a joke. I actually agree))

The point has been mostly lost in all the grammar policing. These war supporters of are fighting age but refuse to take the place of the troops they “support” so one of them may be spared their 3rd or fourth over-extended tour in Iraq.

Let’s reinstate the draft and see how fast these guys turn from pro-war to anti-war.

18. Marco says

And I’d like to add – Max Blumenthal is dreamy. I am sure he’s not gay because I find him dreamy, but I’d love to chat politics with him over a beer or 6.

19. mark m says

Having been a young Republican and growing up in a Republican family, let me assure you that the left-wing characterization of college-age conservatives being mostly spineless cowards who would rather someone else fight for this country is more true than not.

Oh, and stop putting more emphasis on how someone spells what their saying than what they are saying.

(I dare someone to correct my grammar on that last one).

20. mark m says

Soulbrotha, I think he may have been referring to the ethnically ambiguous dude in the red shirt…

…you know the one who has “asthma.” Who knew that one of the leading causes of asthma was penile obstruction of the wind pipe?

21. peterparker says

Matt…when you and millions of other Americans decided not to vote in the elections of November 2000 and November 2004, you doomed not only the 300 million Americans but also the rest of the world to eight years of life under the Bush regime. Thanks a lot, moron.

22. Derrick from Philly says

“…penile obstruction of the wind pipe?”

Hell, is that why I haven’t been constipated in 3 years. I need some obstruction before I get too old to enjoy it.

And what “bitch fight”? Aint nobody fighting bitchy here. We some civil motha’ fuckas here. Now, how’s that for gramma’.

23. says

I’m sure that there are plenty of young Republicans who couldn’t be in this film because they actually are Over There in Iraq, but the guys (and the gal) in the film are real pieces of work. Can’t be bothered to fight in a war they feel so strongly about, and you know they’re Republicans because they don’t want to pay taxes for it, either.

But I’m puzzled why they’re so afraid of illegal immigration. Seems like these illegal immigrants would make the perfect fighting force so that NONE of us red-blooded Americans would have to fight over there, or over here, or over anywhere at all. Vote for Tom Tancredo, and send ALL them millions of illegal immigrants to do our fighting FOR us!

24. John says

Eagle,

If those pesky illegal immigrants were named O’Malley, Rossi, MacDuff, Metzger, or Scherer (and not Jimenez, Lopez, and Gonzalez)… do you honestly think these young Republicans would be up in arms about it?

I don’t think so. Yesterday’s immigrants are today’s anti-immigration activists. We’ve seen this show before.

Ben Franklin thought the Germans would ruin America’s “Anglo-Saxon” identity. Apparently, he didn’t bother to look up where the Angle and Saxon tribes came from.

25. nic says

“Mark M,” you did make a mistake. “someone” is singular and “their” is plural; they must agree in number. and “matt,” since you don’t vote, you should not have the privilege of commenting on political matters. at the very least, you should have some sense of shame and shut-t-f-up. to “Eagle Burp”: you go straight to hell, you racist mofo.
    i cannot imagine a more sorry lot of sons- of-bitches than these young repugs. college students are leaning more and more democratic. i believe that with bush, cheney, et al, the repug party is breathing its last hurrah.