News: Amy Winehouse, David Vitter, Tooth X-Ray, Roger Mahony

road.jpg A biting pain: X-Ray reveals that a rugby player’s incessant headaches were caused by an opponent’s tooth which was lodged in his forehead.

Mixnerroad.jpg Didn’t get to this yesterday, but over the weekend the NYT published a look at the rural retreat of political strategist David Mixner: “Inside, the cheerful rooms are filled with artwork and memorabilia, including antiwar posters and newspaper clippings. One sculpture consists of the faces of friends who died of AIDS, molded in Lucite and lighted from behind with neon. He never turns it off. ‘It’s my eternal flame,’ he said. His other eternal flame is the computer screen. Mr. Mixner’s main activity these days is blogging — his site, davidmixner.com, offers a mix of political discourse, arts criticism and folksy commentary on day-to-day life in Turkey Hollow. ‘People will stop me on the street in New York and ask me about Attila and Kate,’ he said, referring to the deer mentioned in many of his postings. Not that he has forgotten about politics. ‘I have more political influence here than I did living in the city,’ he said.”

Winehouseroad.jpg Arctic Monkeys, Klaxons, Amy Winehouse, Maps among those on shortlist for Britain’s Mercury Music Prize.

road.jpg Britney Spears inspires melee at Le Deux nightclub in Hollywood: “A girl was heard screaming and calling Britney a ‘whore’ and telling Britney to ‘go back home to her babies.’ This, in fact, actually upset a ton of people! A bunch of girls started attacking this girl and they actually pulled her weave out! Me and my friends were soooo scared man!”

road.jpg Surreal: Rue McClanahan, Jeff Stryker, Bruce Vilanch, and Seattle drag queen Dina Martina performed a scene from Gone with the Wind last night at Ryan Landry’s legendary variety revue Showgirls in Provincetown. Can we get a video please???

road.jpg Elton John to build massive gallery at his British estate to house the more than 2,500 works of art in his collection.

road.jpg Aaron Eckhart on his revelation about gay people: “I’ll always remember. I was working in a restaurant in California with a guy who was gay, and I asked him, ‘What do you feel when you look at a guy?’ And he said, ‘Well, Aaron, what do you feel when you look at that girl over there, and she’s beautiful and you really want to be with her?’ That’s when I got it: It’s the same thing.”

Hommesroad.jpg Kenneth Walsh pages through the latest issue of L’Officiel Hommes.

road.jpg Landmark gay rights case underway in Canada: “The controversy stems from a letter written by Boissoin, then a Red Deer youth pastor, that was published in the Red Deer Advocate in June 2002. In it, Boissoin wrote ‘my banner has now been raised and war has been declared’ against those who are part of the ‘homosexual machine.’ ‘From kindergarten class on, our children, your grandchildren are being strategically targeted, psychologically abused and brainwashed by homosexual and pro-homosexual educators,’ he wrote. ‘Your children are being warped into believing that same-sex families are acceptable; that kissing men is appropriate.’ Boissoin went on to attack gay activists as ‘spreading their psychological disease,’ saying they were ‘just as immoral as the pedophiles, drug dealers and pimps that plague our communities.’ ‘Where homosexuality flourishes, all manner of wickedness abounds,’ he wrote.”

road.jpg “Pro-family” Republican Senator David Vitter, who was discovered to be a client of the ‘D.C. Madam’, apologizes, saying he never had relationships with prostitutes.

road.jpg Following $660 million settlement, Cardinal Roger Mahony apologizes to sex abuse victims: “There really is no way to go back and give them that innocence that was taken from them. The one thing I wish I could give the victims … I cannot.”

road.jpg The Killers’ Brandon Flowers has a son.

Comments

1. Mick says

It truly is amazing how freedom just ebbs away, little bit by little bit. Anyone who supports free speech needs to support that Canadian bigot, not attack him.

2. Taylor says

Wow… this makes me feel quite ashamed to be from Red Deer.

Considering the general populace in that city, however, I am not in the least bit surprised.

Thank goodness I got some sense and moved to Edmonton…

3. SPOT says

If he had just confined himself to offering his opinion on gays, that would be one thing. But saying that he’s going to start a “war” and calling us just as bad as pedophiles and all the rest crosses a line. I know this is being posted on a forum, and we all know how people act on forums when they disagree with others, but I think a conviction would be totally fine. It’s great that there’s some attempt to remind people that their opinions DO occasionally cross the line, and NO you DON’T have the supreme right to persecute, harass and otherwise defame other people just because you feel like it.

4. secretagentman says

Nice try Aaron. You’re not exactly known for your discretion so if you think that statement will keep the rumours at bay, you’re wrong.

5. anon (gmail.com) says

So women and girls should not kiss men? Isn’t a form of greeting in several countries? His position is not that well thought out of course. Actually, I recommend kissing men, it has a lot going for it. Using mouthwash beforehand is a plus.

Did Jeff Stryker play the role of a horse or something?

6. Landis says

Mick: If you support him, I guess you also support Nazi propaganda from WWII – hey it was religious inspired. You should protect Hitler’s right to free speech.

7. woodroad34 says

Bullies are always upset when they perceive their ‘rights’ as being attacked. What they always fail to recognize is that it is exactly what they are trying to do to any member of society they find offensive. They’re whiners, sadists and hypocrites. Cardinal Roger Mahoney is another example. In his press conference on the $660 million settlement to abuse victims, he whines that he could never come up with a solution to the problem of pastoral sexual abuse. He stonewalled the investigation for years and blamed the victims and hid the predatory priests. It never occured to him that the correct action would be the moral one. So much for Benedict’s assertion that the Catholic Church is the only true church.

Whatever happened to your right to smack someone on the nose ends where that person’s nose begins?

8. 24play says

Landis, may I suggest you might be happier living in Germany?

In Germany a person can be thrown in jail just for denying the Holocaust happened. Here in the U.S., our constitution guarantees us freedom of speech—even irrational, despicable speech and lies.

Types of speech that are not protected by the constitution are few. They include:
    •incitement to illegal activity and/or imminent violence
    •defamation and libel
    •obscenity
    •threats and intimidation
    •and false advertising.

9. Chris says

That Gone with the wind thing sounds just insane!!!I know the site liptv puts up a lot of Ryan’s shows…maybe they have it! Someone has to!

10. Giovanni says

My vote is Amy Winehouse for the Mercury – those who are just discovering her should check out her stellar debut album, Frank, as well – she’s the real deal! The Arctic Monkeys are just getting better with each album – lots of great music coming out of the U.K – sux that nothing interesting is happening in the U.S. on that front though I am really jonesing on Lil Mama at the moment.

11. says

I am thanking both you and Kenneth for those pics. And I also think he did a great job filling in for you didn’t he? :)

By the way, I think meeting you got me back addicted to Towleroad. It gave me that personal edge I craved.

12. peterparker says

Okay, here’s my question: David Mixner’s ‘eternal flame’ is a sculpture in which faces of friends who have died of HIV/AIDS is molded in lucite…so does that mean he was somehow able to make ‘death masks’ and made actual molds of their faces after they died?

13. GIno says

Not that it’s a huge deal, but I would love it if the headline topics were in the order that the blurbs actually appear.

14. says

Please check out my relatively new blog. Progressive blogging with a bite. Geared towards the GLBT community and all its friends. amerracuda.blogspot.com

15. shane says

Is Vitter’s denial of having a relationship (more like “relations”) sorta like Clinton’s definition of “is” and “sex”? How stupid is his wife (Vitter, not Clinton)?

16. shane says

24Play makes an EXCELLENT point – even though he probably didn’t mean to! We should probably not trying to apply our privileges of and views on free speech to other countries. Last time I checked, the U.S. Constitution didn’t apply to anything outside of the U.S. and Canada is not the 51st state.

17. Landis says

There should always be a reasonable limit on free-speech. Advocating hate and warfare (i.e. declare war on homosexuals) definitely should not be tolerated.

Complete and utter free-speech is so over-rated anyway. Iraq has free speech now and what good did it do for them?

18. SPOT says

“•incitement to illegal activity and/or imminent violence
    •defamation and libel
    •obscenity”

Yep, that sounds about right. The author of that letter did all of those things. Or did you think he meant “war” as in “hugging war”?

We already have limits on free speech.

PS, there is no constitutional right to lie. There are many laws specifying that in many cases it is illegal to lie (on the stand, on an application, and so on).

Geez, where do some of you get your education about the law? Ally McBeal?

19. 24play says

Spot, I have no idea what Canadian law with regard to speech says. But if we’re measuring Boisson’s letter against U.S. laws:

1) An incitement charge would never stick. He’s not explicitly inciting violence or crime. If talk of “war” were illegal, every politician, bureaucrat, and demagogue would be in prison (the War on Drugs, War on Terror, War on Poverty, War on Crime, etc.).

2) Since he’s not making false claims about an individual (or legal entity, such as a corporation) it’s neither slander nor libel.

3) Nothing he wrote could be considered even remotely obscene.

And yes, lying is protected speech UNLESS you’re doing it under oath, in an application, in an advertisement, to slander/libel etc. Short of those specific types of circumstances, you cannot be jailed or successfully sued for lying. People are free to deny the Holocaust, claim that all gays are pedophiles, insist the Earth is flat, or that Jesus died for my sins.

You fight lies by loudly proclaiming the truth and supporting your case with facts and reasonable arguments. You don’t do it by banning the speech you disagree with.

20. SPOT says

“Since he’s not making false claims about an individual (or legal entity, such as a corporation) it’s neither slander nor libel.”

Individuals or corporations are not the only ones covered. Check the law. Groups can also be covered.

Please provide the constitutional clause that expressly permits lying. Find the court case that EXPRESSLY creates a constitutional right to lie.

I’ve had this debate with people before. There is NO constitutional right to lie. It may not be illegal to lie in your daily life, but lots of things are not illegal, and yet not constitutionally protected.

You fight lies by prosecuting people under the law, when they break the law. I don’t know about you, but I’m no pedophile, and I’d take anyone to court who accuses me of being one, and I’d win.

“Free Speech” is not an absolute. We already restrict speech. This is no different. He broke the law, and was charged. Will he be convicted? Maybe, but if he gets off, it will be a travesty of justice and not in keeping with the law.

You may see something nobel about protecting someone’s right to persecute, but I certainly don’t.

Anything else you have to add, you can send in an email.

21. 24play says

Spot, if you’re unhappy with the Constitution and laws of the U.S. you should make an effort to change them. But before doing that you should probably make a better effort to understand them. As it is, you’re talking in circles, restating the same fallacies again and again.

I don’t know about Canadian law, but everything Boisson stated, as reported in this post, is protected as free speech under U.S. law. Similarly, you have the freedom to misrepresent U.S. law in a public chat room. Congratulations!

Now back to Ally McBeal.

22. Landis says

24Play: I think Spot is discussing Boisson’s letter in the Canadian context, which would be true. Boisson should be strike down because it is hate speech.

But seriously, I have never understand the rationale behind unfettered free speech – not that you have it anyway. If you strongly believe US has unfettered free speech, look at the level of self-censorship all media outlets have regarding the Ir@q war.

23. Kurt says

If you’re in P-Town this summer, you really, really need to go see our hometown Seattle lady, Dina Martina. Trust me. And maybe you’ll be the lucky recipient of the Jift Parade (if you go, you’ll understand).