Gay Adoption | Gay Parents | News | Rupert Everett

BigGayDeal.com

Rupert Everett Comes Down on Gay Parenting

Rupert_donatella_2

Rupert Everett has been quoted by Britain's Daily Express as saying he doesn't believe that gay men would make fit adoptive parents:

"Oh God, I could never do that to a child. Can you imagine what it would be like, having your two dads coming to school speech days? And hearing those awful queeny rows while you are trying to get to sleep?"

The Arizona Republic also notes he has a low opinion of his potential for being a decent father: "I love kids. I have 10 godchildren. But I'm not a very good godfather. I'm not good at remembering birthdays. I don't believe in Father's Day or Mother's Day. I don't even like Christmas - I find it all a bit sick. People are emotionally tricked into spending so much money. So I don't think I will adopt. I don't think it's for me."

You may have missed...
Rupert Everett Channels Camilla Parker-Bowles for Trinians [tr]
Sydney Mardi Gras Parade Takes Oxford Street [tr]
A Night at La Scala [tr]

Comments

1. So in other words his logic = if he as a gay man was a horrible car driver then ALL gay men are horrible car drivers.

His logic is very faulty. He is also arrogant and self absorbed to think that he is the living embodiment of all gay men.

Posted by: anon | Jul 25, 2007 10:37:34 AM

2. Since I am not yet a shrill, identity-politics-obsessed, humorless nutcase, I thought his first comment was funny.

I agree with his second comment about commercialization of holidays is lame. And good for him for being self-aware enough of his feelings and capacities to self-select out of the adoption option.

Next...

Posted by: becks07 | Jul 25, 2007 10:43:47 AM

3. *THAT* commercialization of holidays is lame.

Andy, for your birthday, I am going to get you the ability to edit posts on Towleroad :-)

Posted by: Becks07 | Jul 25, 2007 10:45:14 AM

4. Ruperet Everett doesn't make a good parent.... doesn't make a good actor... doesn't make much sense.

Posted by: Blain | Jul 25, 2007 10:46:56 AM

5. Ruperet Everett doesn't make a good parent.... doesn't make a good actor... doesn't make much sense.

Posted by: Blain | Jul 25, 2007 10:48:04 AM

6. What an asshole. And such destructive comments. I read his "memoir". he's a shallow guy who thinks everyone is like him and that his world is representative of the rest of the world. I'd guess that het celebrities are no more fit for parenthood than he is, but at least they shut up and wait for their kids to write tell-all autobiographies as adults.

Posted by: Rich | Jul 25, 2007 10:48:52 AM

7. One nice thing I'll say: at least he's willing to escort really ugly women around, if they have a famous name and lots of money.

Posted by: Rich | Jul 25, 2007 10:50:00 AM

8. Since I am not a flighty, apathetic, twittering loser, I thought BECKS07 was a fool. Along with Rupert Everett.

Posted by: Gregg | Jul 25, 2007 10:54:13 AM

9. My partner and I live with our 17 year-old son. He never hears any "queeny rows" and he's not the least bit uncomfortable with having two fathers. He's a very popular kid at school, he has a girlfriend, and all of his friends (and their parents) are comfortable hanging out at our house. Granted, we are very lucky to live in Vermont where Civil Unions are legal, but apparently the world has changed while Rupert wasn't paying attention.

Posted by: Chesnut | Jul 25, 2007 10:56:42 AM

10. I, too, found the humor in his first comment. I don't think such a statement should be taken at face value or as an actual stance on gay adoption. It's up there with a "but who would wear the dress?" argument against gay marriage. Kids, breathe in, breathe out. Repeat as necessary.

Posted by: Anonymous | Jul 25, 2007 10:59:53 AM

11. Maybe he should have his balls cut off so he would not have to worry about becoming a father. We have two children a woman and a man and we also have five grandchildren (two girls, three boys). Perhaps Stupid Rupert should keep his comments strickly about himself and not others. May he is not fit to be a parent but after all he is an actor.

Posted by: pino | Jul 25, 2007 11:03:21 AM

12. Another self absorbed actor gives voice to ignorant brain waves. Someone plase tell him to shut up.

Posted by: kimmer | Jul 25, 2007 11:05:11 AM

13. he's a hag

Posted by: bigggnasty | Jul 25, 2007 11:13:05 AM

14. I read his comments to be sarcastic. The issue is the mainstream public will take them at face value; he should “attempt” humor on less volatile and divisive issues. As an out gay actor he needs to understand the mainstream media looks to him as a spokesperson.

Posted by: Rick | Jul 25, 2007 11:13:44 AM

15. How many strident posts have you made to a news organikzartion's blog about the Iraq policy today?

Lordy, there sure are some hungry vultures circling up there...

Posted by: Becks07 | Jul 25, 2007 11:20:48 AM

16. Another graduate of the "George Michael School Of Gay Generalizations".

Not going on the Rosie O'Donnell "Family Cruise", I take it...

Posted by: Rad | Jul 25, 2007 11:25:40 AM

17. He does not represent us all and he has a right to his opinions, but those opinions should be kept in perspective. He started out as a hustler for God's sake. I don't think he'd make a good parent either. Honestly, he's too in love with himself to love anyone else.
    I have to say this also, does anyone here think he's goodlooking?

I have never thought he was nice looking, sure, he had a nice body at one time, but that face, NO WAY!

Posted by: Bobby | Jul 25, 2007 11:29:09 AM

18. jesus h christ.

have none of you seen him talk before, or for that matter met a british man, gay or straight.

it's called dry, self-depricating humor. it's what they do. it was funny.

and his issue with our "holydays" is spot on.

Posted by: nycredneck | Jul 25, 2007 11:29:41 AM

19. And who's that Muppet he's with?

She looks like that gelfling thing from THE DARK CRYSTAL.

Posted by: Bobby | Jul 25, 2007 11:30:14 AM

20. I'm sorry, what is he talking about? Did he say something? I was TOTALLY distracted by that horrific-looking drag queen or horror movie extra he was pictured with.

She's obviously taken far too many vacations on the sun and given WAY too many blow-jobs with those moose lips of hers.

He's not looking too good these days either. They both look like they sleep in a coffin.

Posted by: Jordan | Jul 25, 2007 11:42:43 AM

21. Bobby, the thing he's standing with is Donatella Versace. (And yes, she is hideous. You'd think with all the money she has she could do something about it, but alas she doesn't. Gelflings were cute; Donatella is not. She reminds me more of a wraith from Stargate Atlantis.)

Rupert Everett can speak for himself, and yes those Brits have a very dry and self-deprecating sense of humor, but given that most of the world will only read his words in print and won't have the benefit of vocal cues that indicate sarcasm, he has done the entire gay community a disservice.

Not only has he slammed us all as parents, but he's also insinuated that we're all a bunch of nelly, flaming queens. So that's a twofer for the haters.

I don't want to be a parent, but that has nothing to do with my sexuality. I just don't like children!

So..... I guess I am taking Rupert with a grain of salt, but am nonetheless aware of the damage his careless comments will cause to our image.

Posted by: Jonathon | Jul 25, 2007 11:48:05 AM

22. I agree that his comments were probably made in jest but unfortunately I think this is poor timing on his part. The right wingers are actively seizing on any comment by any gay person (or allegedly ex-gay ala Michael Glaetze) to substantiate their arguments about why gays shouldn't be allowed to adopt. A Spanish judge just yesterday removed children from a lesbian couple's home because he felt same-sex parents are unfit.

This is a very real issue for a lot of same-sex parents and something where these couples can face significant obstacles. While a joke, it was in poor taste and timing.

I see it similarly to not joking about airline crashes in an airport. The joke may be funny but it is disrespectful to people who may have a fear of flying.

Posted by: Ed | Jul 25, 2007 11:50:05 AM

23. People who don't like Christmas make terrible parents? Like, really?

Posted by: borut | Jul 25, 2007 11:55:36 AM

24. He's acting skills are mediocre at best. And he's not nearly as gorgeous as he thinks he is. It may not be for you Rupert. There's one easy solution to that. Don't adopt. And don't be so quick to judge others. End of story.

Posted by: Jethro | Jul 25, 2007 11:58:39 AM

25. Oh please... Rupert, shut up! As a hypothetical parent, you're not helping the real ones, like the family in Vermont; see the comment above (so inspiring thanks guys!)

Posted by: SeanR | Jul 25, 2007 12:01:13 PM