Ireland | Jake Shears | News | Scissor Sisters | Scotland

BigGayDeal.com

Scissor Sisters Work Mud and Tartan for European Crowds

Scissors1

The music festivals across the pond are in high gear and the Scissor Sisters have been taking it all in. This weekend they played the Oxegen Festival in Dublin (below) where Jake Shears flaunted his piggish tendencies with a roll in the mud during "Filthy, Gorgeous".

The group then headed up to Scotland for T in the Park (Above) where they rocked a set of custom Tartan plaids designed by Zaldy. Love those shorts and knee socks on Del Marquis.

Photos by Kevin Tachman/WENN. Click to enlarge.

Scissors2 Scissors3 Scissors4

You may have missed...
Vienna Life Ball Brings out the Glitter to Fight AIDS [tr]
Scissor Sisters Play the Austrian Alps [tr]

Comments

1. Talentless hacks.

Del Marquis is hot, though.

Posted by: peterparker | Jul 10, 2007 1:25:17 PM

2. Actually, to do what they do requires a lot of talent....it may not be your cup of tea or even mine, but it is for a large amount of people.
    They are far bigger in Europe(where outragousness is a boon not a bust)than they are here. When I'm in London or Glasgow they are always talked about by gays or str8's as a great concert group.

Posted by: Joshua | Jul 10, 2007 1:34:33 PM

3. Please anyone who is on the show Passions lacks talent.

Posted by: Matt | Jul 10, 2007 1:46:07 PM

4. I like the Scissor Sisters. Watching Jake Shears dance always makes me happy. And I think they all look great in tartan. :)

Travis

Posted by: Travis | Jul 10, 2007 1:51:16 PM

5. I feel really badly for those of you who couldn't fulfill your fame fantasies and end up disparaging anybody who has "made it" by classifying them as talentless or hacks or whatnot.

Sure, there are a number of untalented famous folks out there. But don't be mistaken: your jealousy does not negate another person's talent. It just affects your brain and makes you look bitter beyond your years.

P.S. Jake Shears is always hot as I love me some confidence. (I just wish he would stop shaving his chest.)

Posted by: Rey | Jul 10, 2007 2:00:15 PM

6. Anyone who calls Scissor Sisters talentless clearly does not have a working knowledge of music theory and/or history. You may not enjoy the genre, but their music is incredibly smart, both lyrically and melodically. Just listen to the song "Return To Oz" from their first album. Gorgeous and haunting.

On another topic - Del Marquis is super hot, and according to a friend of mine who used to be a fuckbuddy of his, the boy not only has a beautiful booty, but is hung like a horse. Plus he's rich and famous... sigh...

Posted by: Gregg | Jul 10, 2007 3:46:01 PM

7. Rey,

I'm not jealous of the Scissor Sisters. I'm embarrassed for them. Their music makes me want to gouge out my eardrums with a butter knife just to stop the pain of Jake's falsetto. They are mediocre (at best), insipid, and dull. If you need any proof of how much they suck, listen to Pink Floyd's (original) version of 'Comfortably Numb' and *then* tell me Scissor Sisters are a great band. You can't do it because their version is trash compared to Pink Floyd's.

As proof that I don't disparage anyone who has 'made it', I'm happy to applaud and appreciate great bands. Radiohead, Autolux, Pinback, The Decemberists, White Stripes, !!!, The Klaxons, Cat Power, Hot Chip, LCD Soundsystem are among a group of bands that are much better, more interesting and more musically innovative than Scissor Sisters. Trust me. Ten years from now, you'll be embarrassed that you liked Scissor Sisters.

As for fame fantasies...yeah, it'd be awfully cool to be in a rock band. But I'm quite aware that I have no singing voice and don't know how to play an instrument. And I'm alright with that. I have a nice life as a trustafarian.

And finally, Rey, verbs are almost always modified by adverbs. However, there a few special verbs that can be modified by adverbs or adjectives. The verb 'to feel' is one of this special set of verbs. I believe you should have begun your post by saying "I feel really bad...", an expression of a state of being that is made clear by using an adjective. Instead, you used the adverb and typed "I feel really badly...", which communicates that you are incapable of using your tactile organs. I don't think that is what you meant to communicate. But given your love of Scissor Sisters, it's clear that at least one of your sense organs is damaged.

xo,
    peterparker

p.s.
    I'd still lick those tartan shorts off of Del Marquis.

Posted by: peterparker | Jul 10, 2007 3:46:48 PM

8. Talentless compared to what? Mixing Pink Floyd with the Bee Gees and making it work was a genuine surprise and one that caught the attention of John Peel whose radio show was the first place I heard them played. My only complaint is the second album wasn't as good the first but that's a common syndrome, especially after a strong debut.

I always wonder what people who throw around comments like "talentless" have done with their lives apart from bitch about things they don't happen to like.

Posted by: John C | Jul 10, 2007 3:54:33 PM

9. Okay, Gregg...I'll give you that 'Return to Oz' is a good song. Unfortunately, all of their other songs sound like Elton John trying to make a comeback via the genre of disco. Thanks, but I'll check out something a little fresher.

Posted by: peterparker | Jul 10, 2007 3:56:07 PM

10. PS: I saw Pink Floyd perform The Wall at Earl's Court in 1980 (and owned that album). I still prefer the Scissors' version.

Posted by: John C | Jul 10, 2007 3:56:34 PM

11. oops...should have said "something a little more fresh".

Posted by: peterparker | Jul 10, 2007 3:58:33 PM

12. I heart Baby-Daddy....delicious lil' fuzball

Posted by: Ed B | Jul 10, 2007 4:33:33 PM

13. Well, Peterparker, I'm not going to get into your reasons for disliking Scissor Sisters, after all, we all have groups we like and groups we don't. I do think you should look into your compulsion to comment on what hacks they are every time they are mentioned--I mean, let it go cowboy.

Posted by: BIMBO_ERUPTION | Jul 10, 2007 5:31:43 PM

14. the scissor sisters are about as groovy as a root canal... as edgy as a von dutch trucker hat.
    sucking-off the bee gees and elton john, branded with a way-outdated Pyramid Club panache... they're a cringe.

Posted by: A.J. | Jul 10, 2007 5:41:55 PM

15. Wow Peter ....

366 words to defend your first comment and to disparage the grammar of a commenter.

Psst - let you in on a little secret....

This is the comments section of a gay blog. No one cares.

Low self esteem I take it?

Posted by: yoshi | Jul 10, 2007 6:36:20 PM

16. LOL Yoshi...looks like Peter Parker's secret identity wasn't the only thing he just exposed...

Posted by: Thinking the Same Thing | Jul 10, 2007 9:44:19 PM

17. Yoshi...my self esteem is just fine thank you...I'm simply bored and enjoy writing, especially when it concerns one of my favorite subjects, music...and I'm on a personal mission to educate everyone that saying "I feel badly..." is poor grammar unless you are trying to tell people that your hands are numb...it sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard to me and is a personal pet peeve of mine.

And A.J., I'm glad there are other men who can see that Scissor Sisters are just pretenders to the throne.

xo,
    peterparker

Posted by: peterparker | Jul 10, 2007 10:45:07 PM

18. no pictures of baby daddy ? anyway.

Posted by: maxi | Jul 11, 2007 1:06:32 AM

19. PeterParker - you are not the grammar police, and you really have no ground to stand on. I too prefer "I feel bad", but "I feel badly" is perfectly acceptable.

Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of American Usage's Take on Feel Bad vs. Feel Badly:

"The controversy over feel bad and feel badly has been going on for more than a century, and since its beginnings lie in two opposing prescriptive standards—that of the 1869 handbook prescribing feel badly and that of the 20th-century schoolbooks prescribing feel bad—it is unlikely to die out very soon. People will go on about as they do now—some differentiating bad and badly, some not, some avoiding badly, some not. You can see that the question is not a s simple as it is often claimed to be, and, with those considerations in mind, make your own choice. Whatever it is, you will have some worthy comrades and some worthy opponents."

And there is this:

"The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language suggests that although feel badly is still unacceptable to refer to ill health, many people now find the construction acceptable to refer to sad or regretful emotions. The dictionary’s editors claim that the sentence I felt badly about the whole affair is analogous to the clearly acceptable sentence We feel strongly about this issue."

So really, get over yourself.

Posted by: Gregg | Jul 11, 2007 10:55:52 AM

20. They are so contrived.

Posted by: Paul | Jul 11, 2007 1:06:46 PM