News | Tammy Faye Messner

BigGayDeal.com

Tammy Faye Messner, Gravely Ill, Appears on Larry King

At just 65 pounds and fighting through the final stages of lung cancer, Tammy Faye Messner appears on Larry King. She hasn't let go of her optimism.

This is a strong, courageous woman. God bless her.

The full interview airs tonight.

You may have missed...
Tammy Faye Stops Cancer Treatments [tr]

Comments

1. Wow.. I would have never recognized her! One tough lady.

Posted by: Mark G | Jul 19, 2007 1:17:31 PM

2. I saw this last night and it was heartbreaking. Regardless of her past indiscretions (or lapses in judgement, re: makeup application), my heart goes out to her and her family. I hope she is able to spend whatever time she has left in comfort and peace.

Posted by: joeyjoey73 | Jul 19, 2007 1:24:23 PM

3. Tammy has ALWAYS supported the gay community. I wish her and her family much strength and compfort during this difficult time.

Posted by: mike | Jul 19, 2007 1:27:39 PM

4. Where's god?

Posted by: JLS | Jul 19, 2007 1:27:47 PM

5. God bless you Tammy Faye.

Thanks for posting this Andy.

Posted by: Chris | Jul 19, 2007 1:29:55 PM

6. dont ask why but i watch the new jim bakker show (tammys former husband) and I have never seen him even mention his former wifes plight with cancer

Posted by: kuros | Jul 19, 2007 1:35:21 PM

7. as far as Jim-closets can be very small.

Posted by: otto | Jul 19, 2007 1:40:54 PM

8. I can't imagine what she thought she was accomplishing by going on LKL. This was sort of Make-A-Wish for her I suppose... One last time in the spotlight. Now she can die in peace knowing she's still famous. I suppose one earns the privilege of selfishness when dying, but this still fosters the perverse notion of a privileged class in this society that is granted everything they want.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Jul 19, 2007 1:44:46 PM

9. I feel so bad for her. Clearly, death is near. I hope she goes peacefully and without pain.

Posted by: peterparker | Jul 19, 2007 1:47:56 PM

10. I'm currently in nursing school and I'm worried that my disbelief in God will make it hard for me to comfort dying patients but after seeing how brave Tammy is in the face of death, I don't think I could ever acknowledge to her that I don't think there is God. I'm figuring out that if there is one bright spot to religion or faith in a higher power, is that it can be comforting to the sick and dying to think there is something better after you die. Watching her brought tears to my eyes...

Posted by: Michael W. | Jul 19, 2007 1:48:35 PM

11. Tammy Faye has always been supportive of our community, even when everyone around her was not. She raised her children to respect GLBT people, and has been quite a wonderful example of being 100% herself, 100% of the time, no matter how weird or silly or bizarre people thought she was. We could all learn a little something from that, I think. It's also important to see that people with terminal illness are fully and wonderfully human, and that they're not just a diagnosis.

I for one am pulling for her. She's one in a million.

Posted by: Brian | Jul 19, 2007 1:52:09 PM

12. This post broke my heart.

Posted by: Chux | Jul 19, 2007 2:02:24 PM

13. Bingo, Brian. Tammy Faye Baker (as I remember her) is a pop culture icon and I did not detect any need for one last stab at celebrity in her LK interview. I cried when I saw her. In her face was the suffering of so many of my female friends who had a similar strength and dignity when facing imminent death. She has a multitude of friends, admirers and even sometime critics (the makeup issue!) who love her, admire her, and wish her well. I am one of them.

Posted by: Howard | Jul 19, 2007 2:08:41 PM

14. She is very brave! My wish is that her pain will end and she will be at peace. She was clearly on our side and has never waivered in her faith. God bless!

Posted by: RB | Jul 19, 2007 2:34:06 PM

15. a few years back i went to see "the eyes of tammy faye" here in palm springs. it was a late show and only about 6 people were in the theatre. i stayed thru the credits and got up to leave and there was the ole gal herself sitting in her chair and crying. we were the only ones left in the theatre. i stopped and asked if she was ok and offered one of my unused popcorn napkins. we chatted a while and i walked her to her car in the parking garage.

she was very sweet. she seemed moderately drugged or drunk. the mascarra i've always seen her wear is not a theatrical exaggeration.

tammy faye was the FIRST christian TV "personality" to not only preach tolerance toward gay people but also advocated for people living with AIDS...to the point of having them appear on her show to tell their side of the story.

i'm as rabid an anti-Xtian as it gets but tammy faye is one bible thumper who will always have a place in my heart.

go in peace, dear.

Posted by: psgoodguy | Jul 19, 2007 2:41:43 PM

16. I have no doubt that there is a place for all of us "up there," although I have no idea what it looks like or who runs the place. I don't know if I could believe it, though, if I had the life Tammy Faye's had.

We all gotta go, though, and I certainly don't think it can hurt us to try to live positive lives, and whatever you say about Tammy Faye, I really believe she's had everyone's best interests at heart always, and not just her own.

Blessings on her.

Posted by: cokepoet | Jul 19, 2007 2:46:09 PM

17. my thoughts are with Tammy Faye. She has had a long battle with cancer but as maintained a positive outlook. Her support of the gay community is from the support they have given her through out the year. So with love to Tammy Fay from Kent

Posted by: kent okc | Jul 19, 2007 3:00:38 PM

18. I'm sure a video of her last breath will be released not long after she dies. She's a fame whore, pure and simple. But she does have a lot of strength in that vein. I'm not sure its a lesson we can learn from, but it is a lesson, nonetheless. I pity her and this last stand for attention.

Posted by: domo | Jul 19, 2007 3:10:43 PM

19. what a hard thing to watch. definitely heartbreaking. i cant believe its only been 3 years since she's been on vh1's surreal life.. so much change. i hope she enjoys her last days, weeks and/or months of life as much as she possibly can.

Posted by: mike | Jul 19, 2007 3:31:49 PM

20. I pity people who think Tammy Faye is a fame whore and attention seeker. What she's doing is putting a face on the reality of death while living her own authentic faith. I learned a great lesson from her attention-seeking stint on Surreal Life - mainly that carrying grudges and hurt feelings around all the time without letting them go is akin to strapping a dead person on your back and having that weigh you down the rest of your life. In the end she did good with her life.

Posted by: Malibu Boy | Jul 19, 2007 3:32:34 PM

21. @MICHAEL W.. We can be comforted in death as nonbelievers by the following Mark Twain quote:

"I do not fear death. For I have been dead for many billions of years before I was ever alive, and I didn't mind it then."

Posted by: JLS | Jul 19, 2007 3:38:45 PM

22. It was so hard watching this yesterday. God bless.

Posted by: FanGirlHater | Jul 19, 2007 3:39:23 PM

23. That poor sweetheart. I am hoping the rest of her time on this Earth is pain-free and that she slips away peacefully.

I would love to live in a world populated by Christians like her.

Posted by: Rey | Jul 19, 2007 3:41:32 PM

24. Thanks, JLS. I love reading Mark Twain's quotes.

Posted by: Michael W. | Jul 19, 2007 4:46:21 PM

25. Well she obviously doesn't have an entourage advising her not to appear in public. I can remember Christians and comedians mocking her when she said she believed God loved homosexuals. We don't like to see death so close at hand. God is with her and still giving her strength to go on. May her daily needs be met whether morphine, cheeseburgers, or chicken soup. God bless the eyes of Tammy Faye.

Posted by: Dathan | Jul 19, 2007 4:58:22 PM