Colorado | Gay Pride | News

Telluride "Straight Pride" Parade Marchers No Joke, Say Some

Straightpride

Telluride, Colorado's 4th of July parade had an unusual entry — a group of marchers dressed as the "Straight Pride Brigade." Participants explain that it was meant as "a satire of the over-the-top gay pride parades in cities like New York or San Francisco."

The Telluride Daily Planet reports: "On July 4, a dozen Telluride residents suffered into polyester pants and scratchy sweaters, combed their hair flat and slipped on loafers and pumps to become the Straight Pride marchers. They whooped and waved and kissed in the middle of main street (girls kissing boys, naturally). But it was the group’s signs that most rankled some on the sidelines. Some seemed innocent enough (one said, simply, 'I like boys') but others were less gentle, saying 'I’m Over the Rainbow' or 'Not in my Backdoor.'"

Some residents of the Colorado town, which hosts a gay ski week every year, were not amused.

Said Boulder resident Gretchen Norham: "They were clearly nothing more than an anti-gay hate group. Shame on this group. Shame on the judges. I expected better from people in Telluride."

Another observer said : "It was intended to be funny, biting humor, but some of the signs were not funny. But there was just something about it. Some of the signage was anti-gay."

Another resident, real estate agent Matt Hintenmeister, along with some who wrote letters to the Daily Planet, wants an apology: "They don’t really understand what their float was about. They say that it was all just a joke. Even if it was, they should have realized that it was in really poor taste, and come out publicly and apologized."

Ethan Hale, who marched with the group, defended the idea: "I thought it was going to be a funny idea, so I was up for it. A lot of people are misconstruing it. It was, first and foremost, a joke. It was not homophobic."

The "Straight Pride" marchers took second place in the parade competition's humor category.

Paraders wanted only laughs [telluride daily planet]
Avoid Telluride until town apologizes for “Straight Pride” float [telluride daily planet - letters]
Celebrating in Style [plum tv]

(image source)

Comments

1. While I'm one for a good laugh, this was certainly in poor taste. Marching with signs "Not in my backyard" is inarguably homophobic. If this had been a "White Parade" there would be hell to pay, but once again homosexuals end up the "butt" of jokes (sorry, couldn't resist at least one tongue in cheek innuendo).

Making light of any civil rights movement is in poor taste, and the fact they ranked in second place (or any place) in a humor competition speaks volumes on the citizens of Telluride, Colorado (who should be ashamed). While I agree that gay pride parades have become a bit over the top (I'm sorry, but men in assless leather chaps being pursued by Dykes on Bikes while drag queens throw penis shaped candy at crowds of skinny, tweaked out circuit queens with visions of ecstasy dancing in their heads in front of thousands doesn't exactly make me proud - sorry if that bothers readers), a "Straight Pride Parade" is in extremely poor taste.

Posted by: Cory | Jul 16, 2007 5:46:47 PM

2. Were there only two entries in the humor category?

While I support their right to march if they choose to, I do think their display is counter-productive to their stated goal. They showed themselves to be no better than Fred Phelps and I've always said the best way to end homophobia in the general populace is to, on a daily basis, cover the anti-gay/hate activities of Fred Phelps, his clan and his Westboro Baptist Church on the front page of every newspaper and news website with full color photos of their signs because if you want to be anti-gay, you should become aquainted with the teachings/rants of your Messiah.

Posted by: Craig | Jul 16, 2007 5:54:05 PM

3. Mildly amusing, though many str8's like to use their backdoors too.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Jul 16, 2007 5:55:10 PM

4. I think it's hilarious. Too many homos are grim and humorless, an unfortunate trait passed on from our lesbian sisters. Personally I would have laughed my ass off at this.

Posted by: Shane | Jul 16, 2007 6:15:49 PM

5. Andy,

Quick question...why is there an ad for Ann Coulter's column at the bottom of this page?

Posted by: Silverskreen | Jul 16, 2007 6:33:19 PM

6. Those two white bitches in the pic, in their summer dresses, definately like it int he back door.

Posted by: venice_local | Jul 16, 2007 6:52:10 PM

7. Very poor taste, and quite frankly absurd. The only "point" of the group was to ridicule gay pride events directly, and indirectly the entire gay civil rights movement. Perhaps not everyone in the group is homophobic, but their "performance" certainly is in my book. Would anyone mock the civil rights movement of women or African-Americans in a similar way?

Look, I can take a joke. I can laugh at homophobic humor the likes of "In Living Color," etc., but this in my eyes is no joke. It is an insult.

I could care less if they apologize or not. I can only hope that this is the one and only time they do it and that perhaps they understand why it offended many people.

Posted by: Jonathon | Jul 16, 2007 6:56:27 PM

8. I just looked at the photo again. What's the deal with the "I'm just French" guy? That seems to me to be more of the "I'm not gay" message and not the "I'm proud to be straight" sort of parody the organizers claim it was. What's up with that?

Posted by: Jonathon | Jul 16, 2007 6:59:04 PM

9. Shane, coming from someone who posts (and I quote):

"Allegedly I called my grandmother Sunday morning after being up all night drinking vodka and shortly after taking an Ambien. Allegedly I told her she was a bad grandmother, dissed the presents she has given me over the years, discussed graphic details of mine and my boyfriend's sex life and generally acted like a complete and total asshole while on the phone with her."

...and...

"Since Rupert Everett isn't an American, Rufus Wainwright was occupied 'getting foot massages from [his] German boyfriend, and Doogie Howser was busy picking up on humpy stagehands HRC moved down the list, and who better to question the Democratic candidates on our behalf than a husky-voiced dyke who's almost as well known for picking up Lou Diamond's sloppy seconds as singing 'Come to my window?' "

I find your comments extremely ironic and amusing that you refer to the "homo's" (I assume you mean the gay community, a member I believe you claim to be a part of, but from your self-deprecating and homophobic comments on your blog I am a bit baffled) as "grim and humorless". Me thinks you need to look up the definition of humor as it is sadly lacking from your own blog.

Merriam-Webster:

Humor
    Main Entry: hu·mor
    Pronunciation: 'hyü-m&r, 'yü-
    Function: noun

3 a : that quality which appeals to a sense of the ludicrous or absurdly incongruous b : the mental faculty of discovering, expressing, or appreciating the ludicrous or absurdly incongruous c : something that is or is designed to be comical or amusing

Posted by: Reality Check | Jul 16, 2007 7:00:21 PM

10. I know I'll be slammed for saying this, but....Some of the stuff I've seen at gay pride marches is pretty offensive and downright embarrassing. We look at it as being all in fun, and some of it is meant to be "in-you-face." If we're willing to accept this from members of our own community, we need to be willing to at least accept the idea that these people--no matter how ignorant they are-- can express themselves as well. I know, I know, I'm a horrible person and ashamed of my sexuality and wrestle with internal homophobia...Blah, blah.....

Posted by: David | Jul 16, 2007 7:06:48 PM

11. That's weird; I always thought gay pride parades themselves were offensive, not to mention backwards in progressing rights.

A straight pride parade? Hilarious. Offensive? Hell no.

Posted by: Joe | Jul 16, 2007 7:10:14 PM

12. So am I the only one that finds this disgustingly offensive? It is tantamount to "White Pride" like someone mentioned in the comments. This could only have been dreamed up and consumed by ignorant straight white wealthy people who have no idea the history of or the purpose of a pride parade. I'll be the first to criticize pride parades, but first of all, im gay, so the context is completely different coming from LGBTQ people. Second of all, I wouldn't do it in such a blatantly mean spirited manner and then try to cover my ass by labeling it humor.

Im sorry, but a bunch of straight people don't have the right to "satarize" LGBTQ people because they have no idea what they are dealing with.

Posted by: Branflakes | Jul 16, 2007 7:10:30 PM

13. Looks like a Wal-Mart fashion show.

I especially love the c%ck broom and Eagle bar costume on the "I'm Just French" guy. "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

Posted by: RP | Jul 16, 2007 7:14:20 PM

14. Joe: based on the I.Q. level (or lack there of) in your previous posts, I take your opinions with a grain of salt (that means I don't).

David: While I agree that gay pride parades are out of control these days, it does not give heterosexual people carte blanche to ridicule and make fun of the gay community. Keep in mind, some of the "signs" used were extremely homophobic in nature (i.e. "Not in my backyard), so this clearly wasn't a "tongue in cheek" repartee as the people claim.

Seriously ask yourself what is humorous about a group of heterosexual people, who have NO idea about the struggles of the homosexual community, making fun of "Gay Pride" parades? NOTHING.

Again, had this been a "White Pride" parade (which would technically be a KKK parade), would people be laughing?

Posted by: Sad | Jul 16, 2007 7:15:42 PM

15. The main thing that gets me about this is how clueless these people are. If you are shocked by large, relatively tame and mainstream events then you probably should avoid trying to come up with anything resembling satire.

Posted by: michael | Jul 16, 2007 7:18:35 PM

16. Tell Telluride what you think:

Town of Telluride
    P.O. Bo 397
    Telluride, Colorado 81435

Phone: (970) 728-3071

FAX: (970) 728-3078

Posted by: Cory | Jul 16, 2007 7:25:58 PM

17. "That's weird; I always thought gay pride parades themselves were offensive, not to mention backwards in progressing rights.

A straight pride parade? Hilarious. Offensive? Hell no."

I agree. How on earth do half naked men and/or buttless chaps show the world that we aren't the sex-obsessed people they think we are? I propose that the next Pride parade, everyone wears what they wear to work; lawyers go as lawyers, policemen go as policemen, that way they'll see that we're just like them, that we are live and work and love just like they do. That would go further towards equality than parading around in a cockring or harness. Sure, it wouldn't attract a crowd quite the way it does now, but at least when that time comes around that we do make the news en masse, we're represented by who we are than by what we do. We've made ourselves the butt of the joke.

Posted by: Arron | Jul 16, 2007 7:26:08 PM

18. Sad: I'd respect gay pride parades a lot more if they did anything worthwhile, so when you say:

While I agree that gay pride parades are out of control these days, it does not give heterosexual people carte blanche to ridicule and make fun of the gay community."

I'm going to have to disagree with you here; I believe it does. Not the black community, not the Hispanic community, not any historically oppressed group of people have had the antics of the gay community and gay pride parades.

"Seriously ask yourself what is humorous about a group of heterosexual people, who have NO idea about the struggles of the homosexual community, making fun of "Gay Pride" parades?"

But gay pride parades DON'T GIVE A SHIT about gay rights - they're called gay pride parades, not gay rights parades; meanwhile, people who actually care about giving everyone equal rights are marching on Washington, not the streets of San Francisco.

Call me stupid if you want to, but do realize that giving into the gay thought police only empowers the enemy.

Posted by: Joe | Jul 16, 2007 7:26:08 PM

19. Sad: I'd respect gay pride parades a lot more if they did anything worthwhile, so when you say:

Posted by: Joe | Jul 16, 2007 7:27:37 PM

20. Just when you think it can't get any worse, there is a website selling Telluride "Straight Pride" wear:

"Straight in Telluride" printed on shirts and stickers. Nice eh.

Posted by: Cory | Jul 16, 2007 7:30:39 PM

21. We embark into dangerous territory when we confuse "satire" with "hate."

And vice versa.

Posted by: Bill | Jul 16, 2007 7:33:53 PM

22. Joe, you're wrong about gay pride not contributing anything. In fact, gay pride in NYC contributes much of its money to HIV awareness and other charitable causes in Manhattan. It also raises awareness, as Mayor Bloomberg and other political figures and celebrities have marched in Pride parades, giving speeches on human rights issues while using their time to raise awareness to important causes. While I certainly agree with you 100% that the parades are over the top (see my commentary about re: gay pride parades), it DOES NOT give a bunch of straight people the right to ridicule the gay community, which is essentially what they are doing. Hell, there are web sites SELLING "Straight Pride in Telluride" gear. I do not find the deaths of Andrew Anthos, Matthew Shephard, and countless other victims, to be made in vain so a bunch of ignorant country folk from Telluride can poke fun at us. Yes, having a sense of humor is essential in life, but to what extent? Not at the price of me, not at the price of you, not at the price of US.

Posted by: Cory | Jul 16, 2007 7:35:57 PM

23. If anyone cares: The contact address for the Telluride Gay Ski Week is

info@telluridegayskiweek.com

Posted by: RP | Jul 16, 2007 7:37:47 PM

24. I would think that a straight pride parade would have at least one float with a couple of straights dressed as rabbits and hundreds of babby bunnies hopping around....of course the title of the float would read "breeders".

Or to coin a David Rabe line from "streamers", there could be a male psychiatrist with a woman patient and the title of the float would be "The rapist (therapist)"

Or if cooly elegant simplicity is your thing, how about just a single straight guy dressed as President Bush, killing thousands of people?

To me, all of the above are hilarious stereotypes of straight people.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Jul 16, 2007 7:38:32 PM

25. babby = baby and the line was from "Boom Boom Room" not "Streamers" if anyone desperately cares.

No? I didn't think so.