I'm Not Gay | Richard Gasquet | Sports | Tennis

Wimbledon Semi-finalist Richard Gasquet: It's Obvious I'm Not Gay

Gasquet

Missed this one back in April. But then again, at that point Frenchman Richard Gasquet hadn't leapt onto the Wimbledon radar.

This past week, Gasquet vanquished Andy Roddick to face Roger Federer in the semi-finals. In April, French magazine Le Point printed a rumor that 46-year-old married French businessman Arnaud Lagardere was having an affair with the player.

Gasquet responded to ASAP Sports: "I was absolutely not happy about that. This question has come back hundreds of times, and every time someone turns up saying, Oh, I have evidence. It is just bullshit.  Neither him nor me are homosexuals. It's absolutely obvious."

Over the weekend Federer struggled to defeat Rafael Nadal in five sets in the third-longest men's final ever.

(via Outsports)

Comments

1. Okay...

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Jul 9, 2007 11:42:17 AM

2. If he's not, he's not. Whatev. But how is he so sure about the other dude?

Posted by: Michael | Jul 9, 2007 12:04:37 PM

3. Interesting observation Michael..... How does he know about the businessman.

I like Gasquet and I think he should be allowed to come out on his own. The press shouldn't be trying to out him. And he needs to learn to respond to these kinds of questions. He should be coy or perhaps funny. He should have said something like "...I'm not gay, I'm just French" hehehehe. I'm so funny.

In any case, I'm all about;
    Nadal
    Tony Haas (sans shirt)
    Fernando Gonzalez (avec beard)
    Novak Djokovic (sans shirt)

Gasquet's backhand is hot.

OOOOOOhhhh and I wanna get between Roddick and his Lacoste.

Posted by: Balletboy | Jul 9, 2007 12:42:00 PM

4. I was at the Wimbledon final yesterday - awesome match. Unfortunately, Nadal didn't win OR take off his shirt. But I forgive him.

The law of averages means there must be a gay tennis player out there somewhere. Let's just hope whoever it is is a) brave enough to come out and b) cool. I wouldn't want Soderling to be part of our cause.

Posted by: Darren | Jul 9, 2007 1:02:11 PM

5. Le who le cares?

Posted by: Becks07 | Jul 9, 2007 1:02:48 PM

6. Darren, you lucky bitch ;)

Hmmmm I hope it's Djokovic.
    *crossing fingers*. He would be like the best gay ever. hehehehehe

Posted by: Balletboy | Jul 9, 2007 1:31:53 PM

7. Dear Becks07,

Je care.

lol

xoxo
    Balletboy

Posted by: Balletboy | Jul 9, 2007 1:34:11 PM

8. Angertwink.

Posted by: 24play | Jul 9, 2007 2:28:03 PM

9. Balletboy, I am a lucky bitch - I only commented on this post so I could tell everyone I went to the Wimbledon final.

But yes, I agree about Djokovic - he'd be a great gay ambassador. Funny, smart, talented... what more could one want? The fact he's sorta hot doesn't hurt either.

Posted by: Darren | Jul 9, 2007 3:08:39 PM

10. Darren, I am bitterly jealous. I have been watching Wimbeldon since I was a kid and that match was one of the best ever. I cried along with Federer. Good for you man.
    Could Nadal BE anymore beautiful.

Posted by: secretagentman | Jul 9, 2007 5:29:11 PM

11. It's "Obvious" that he isn't gay? Is he having sex with women on the court?

Posted by: mark m | Jul 9, 2007 5:42:52 PM

12. It is obvious. We gay boys have bigger biceps.

Posted by: peterparker | Jul 9, 2007 5:45:08 PM

13. It's obvious because why would a good looking and successful 21 year old want to get jiggy with a 46 year old? Surely, he'd be doing it with another young hot guy even if he was so inclined ? Personally, I don't think he is gay - my gaydar definitely wasn't going off when I saw him interviewed.

Posted by: atheist | Jul 9, 2007 8:18:36 PM

14. Oh c'mon - Mikhail Youhzny is the cutest thing out there (sans recent beard) . I don't get Nadal but Andy is so cocky that he would make a great top. lol

Posted by: Mike | Jul 9, 2007 9:01:55 PM

15. Wow, that's so cool you were THERE when history was made when Federer won his 5th Wimbledon title.

Good point--I wonder how Gasquet knows Lagradere is not gay?

I don't know, Djokovic is a bit of an a**hole, I really don;t think I want him on the gay team.

Now,
    Gael Monfils, Donald Young, Mikhail Youzhny, Juan-Carlos Ferrerro or even Rafael Nadal--those would be all welcome members of the Out of The Closet club!

Posted by: Mad Professah | Jul 9, 2007 9:41:55 PM

16. His tone is off-putting.

Posted by: FanGirlHater | Jul 9, 2007 9:44:47 PM

17. Well you know those French, the whole countries in the closet.

Posted by: Fi Fi La Sand | Jul 9, 2007 10:25:41 PM

18. I just want you all to know that Im straight and so is my boyfriend.

Posted by: Clit Eatwood | Jul 9, 2007 10:27:53 PM

19. Doeth he protest too much?

Posted by: Lou | Jul 10, 2007 1:07:00 AM

20. It's come out as str8 day!

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Jul 10, 2007 1:34:16 AM

21. This always pops up because the J-block (or was it Andy's fans?) called him faggot during one tournament where he was wiping the floor with their idol. I actually wnat him to be gay because I adore his English-challenged ass but he's young and for someone who just recently broke the top 10, he's probably not that confident enough to come out, if he is gay.

Posted by: Glenn | Jul 10, 2007 1:01:31 PM