Darren Hayes | London | Music | News

Darren Hayes Arrested for Alleged Racist Attack

Singer Darren Hayes was arrested Friday night for an alleged racist verbal attack on a waiter at a Thai restaurant in London last month, the Sydney Morning Herald is reporting:

Darrenhayes"Hayes fronted police in London last Friday night, where he was arrested for racially abusing a member of staff at Busaba Eathai in Wardour Street on July 22. The attack did not involve physical violence, but is believed to have been directed at a male member of staff. Hayes was released on bail. A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "We can confirm that a 35-year-old man was arrested by Westminster police on suspicion of racially abusing a member of staff. 'He was arrested after voluntarily attending a Central London police station by appointment. He has been released on bail pending further enquiries, until the 21st of September.' The spokesman would not comment further."

Hayes' new double album, This Delicate Thing We've Made, came out in the U.S. today.

UPDATE: Hayes lawyer released this statement on his MySpace blog today: "Darren is unable to comment to any extent as the incident is presently under investigation by the police, with whom he has cooperated fully. However he is deeply upset at the allegation which he strenuously denies and anyone who knows Darren will recognise that the particular nature of the allegation is totally abhorrent to him and contrary to everything for which he has stood"

Recently...
Darren Hayes Disses John Howard [tr]

Comments

1. I'm not condoning racist hate speech, and I'm certainly not excusing anyone for racist language, but since when did the British begin arresting people for saying things that were unkind...or did Hayes actually threaten the waiter?

Posted by: peterparker | Aug 21, 2007 1:41:47 PM

2. oh god honey, there aren't enough jails to house all the people that would be arrested for having insulted me...

anyway, this reminds me of when Frank Sinatra was in a casino and he told the oriental blackjack dealer to "take a slow boat." Caused a big stink and I think he had to apologize.

Posted by: the queen | Aug 21, 2007 1:46:01 PM

3. He had to have actually threatened him with violence or something. It will be interesting to find out what actually happened.

Posted by: kitkats99 | Aug 21, 2007 2:04:56 PM

4. What's the world coming to when you can't even be an ass to a waiter? Strange progress.

Posted by: vonschmitt | Aug 21, 2007 2:14:36 PM

5. Oh these crazy kids and their publicity stunts - what WILL they think of next?

Probably best to reserve judgement until we hear the rest of the rest of the story which no doubt will be coming soon. He seems like a fairly sensitive guy ... for an Australian : )

Posted by: Giovanni | Aug 21, 2007 2:24:51 PM

6. The UK has a speech code were you are not allowed to defame race or religion in public. It has nothing to do with making threats.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Aug 21, 2007 3:09:20 PM

7. Look, bitches. A girl likes her Pad Makheur hot.

Posted by: KiKi DuPont | Aug 21, 2007 3:09:36 PM

8. Would not comment further, oh well, looks like he just got caught spewing hate and intolerance. And, strange how those here who are so easily offend if called a name can look the other way when its one of their own. Name calling is never right, homophobic or racial.

Posted by: Sebastian | Aug 21, 2007 3:21:27 PM

9. I have no doubt whatsoever that these allegations will be proven false and no charges made against Darren Hayes. The man wore the aboriginal flag during the closing ceremony of the Australian Olympics for god sake!!

Posted by: Musicnut | Aug 21, 2007 4:03:28 PM

10. These allegations are absolutely outrageous! The man doesn't have a bad bone in his body. There is no doubt the truth will out soon.

Posted by: Kate | Aug 21, 2007 4:10:01 PM

11. oh and straights can yell abuse at gays and get away with it..where is the real justice nowdays??

Posted by: Mydoona | Aug 21, 2007 4:19:14 PM

12. This man wouldn't do this. Not at all.

Posted by: mydollysweet | Aug 21, 2007 4:51:57 PM

13. There is no truth in these allegations as Darren is a decent sensitive guy-just listen to the words of his songs

Posted by: Tania | Aug 21, 2007 4:55:32 PM

14. Ditto Sebastian,

If some straight guy allegedly says "fag" then he should burned at the stake (and god forbid someone black say it). But some gay white gay spews hate and it becomes "let's wait and see." This is why many gays don't want to get involved in the "community". sad.

Posted by: Real Justice | Aug 21, 2007 5:04:28 PM

15. I want to make it very clear that my previous post (the first in this thread) was not an attempt to excuse Hayes' alleged racist insults. Hate speech against any group, whether based on differences of race, religion, gender, disability, etc...are never, ever okay. I was simply expressing surprise that it is an offense that could result in being arrested by the state. I will also say that I find it disturbing that one can be arrested for speech (except, of course, for direct threats) because such a policy restricts free speech. And yes, I believe even bigots should be free to express themselves verbally without intervention from the state...employers, friends, organizations, however, should have the right to refuse association with someone because of their speech...I simply don't believe the state should be able to stop someone from verbalizing what they think/feel. And if you disagree with me, remember that determining what is and isn't 'acceptable speech' is a very slippery slope. If you try to engage in legislating what speech is 'offensive' and 'not offensive', YOU might end up on the side unable to express your thoughts/feelings.

Posted by: peterparker | Aug 21, 2007 6:04:19 PM

16. This has to be the most ridiculous allegation ever.

I am British and I know political correctness has gone way over the top here.

There cannot be any truth in these fabricated allegations because Darren Hayes is not a racist in any way, shape or form. As mentioned, he wore a t-shirt with an Aboriginal flag (sorry I should probably say the flag of the indigenous people of Australia) when performing at the Australian Olympics which many of his countrymen were vocally unhappy about. It is apparent to anyone who knows of him that he does not judge people by the colour of their skin. As a gay man would you not think he'd gone through enough abuse himself?

Posted by: Spike UK | Aug 21, 2007 6:36:58 PM

17. I guess you're not a regular reader of the comments section, huh Spike?...There are enough racist remarks here to make your skin crawl....

Posted by: Uh Huh | Aug 21, 2007 6:45:38 PM

18. OMG I was there on Friday but I didnt notice anything...

It sounds a little weird because most of their waiters are white and gay... Its in Soho after all. Our waiter was a gay German guy...

Posted by: Tarik | Aug 21, 2007 7:02:53 PM

19. "If some straight guy allegedly says 'fag' then he should burned at the stake (and god forbid someone black say it). But some gay white gay [allegedly] spews hate and it becomes 'let's wait and see.'"

Amen to that.

"There cannot be any truth in these fabricated allegations because Darren Hayes is not a racist in any way, shape or form. As mentioned, he wore a t-shirt with an Aboriginal flag (sorry I should probably say the flag of the indigenous people of Australia) when performing at the Australian Olympics which many of his countrymen were vocally unhappy about."

Perhaps he just dislikes people of a certain group. I know some people who single out Asians or blacks or Latinos for their hate.

Also, Isaiah Washington played a gay man in a movie when it wasn't fashionable for a black actor to do so. Doesn't mean he couldn't harbor homophobic sentiment.

I just want you folks to be consistent.

Posted by: The Gene Genie | Aug 21, 2007 7:06:06 PM

20. There was a public radio station in Atlanta (V-103) alleging that Michael Vick was 'innocent' but 'forced to plead guilty' by the Feds. Consistency? PUH-LEEZE. We NEVER see the African-American 'community' admit to wrongdoing of any kind. OJ Simpson, Barry Bonds, does not matter.

That's why I like that song that says 'Everyone is Racist.' Perhaps it should be called 'everyone is a hypocrite' and biased toward people they like.

Posted by: Robert | Aug 21, 2007 7:24:29 PM

21. Right, Robert. Who is the African-American "community" and whom are their leader(s) that speak for them when national figures are charged with alleged wrong-doings? Your notion that the African-American/African diaspora is a homogeneous entity is extremely problematic as well as your assertion that said group must collectively atone for the actions of a a member is outrageous.

Everyone is possibly (probably) a little bit ethnocentric but not everyone is racist.

Posted by: mmikey d | Aug 21, 2007 11:37:24 PM

22. Excuse my use of the word atone as I should have written, "...must collectively acknowledge the alleged transgression of a member is outrageous."

Posted by: mmikey d | Aug 21, 2007 11:44:16 PM

23. Speech police...thank god for the First Amendment.

Posted by: luke | Aug 22, 2007 12:32:12 AM

24. Darren just spoke out against intolerance in Australia; it doesn't seem likely he racially insulted someone; seems to be INFLATED charged, possibly homophobia.

Posted by: loue | Aug 22, 2007 12:45:16 AM

25. I don't think I have ever heard anything so ridiculous in my life. This particular restaurant doesn't seem to have a good customer service record. Wouldn't surprise me if he complained about the service and they took offence at that! He is one of the most tolerant people I have ever seen.

Posted by: dipppeeeeee | Aug 22, 2007 2:58:35 AM