Books | Colorado | Condoleezza Rice | Episcopal Church | Film | Gay Adoption | Great Britain | Jesse Metcalfe | Madonna | Manchester | New York | News | Nightlife | Tim Gunn

News: Manchester, David Bowie, Tennis, Tim Gunn, Madonna

road.jpg Earthquakes strike Manchester's gay village: "It was the sixth earthquake to hit the city in the past month, all measuring between 1.4 and 2.5 magnitude. A swarm of 150 tremors occurred in the same area between October 2002 and January 2003. Seismologist Dr Brian Baptie of the British Geological Survey said: 'An earthquake of this magnitude is not unusual in the UK and you would not expect any structural damage as a result of this earthquake'."

Roddickroad.jpg Match-fixing alleged in professional tennis: "Two elite players made the claims, under anonymity, in an interview with the French sports daily claiming they have witnessed matches being "thrown" and that they had personally been offered bribes...The unnamed sources in L'Equipe's report called on the sport's authorities to act, 'before things get out of hand'. 'I know several players who have been approached, and who had the exact same experience as me,' said one player, identified only as Mister B and who claimed he had been approached physically by someone offering him 50,000 dollars to lose a match. He added: 'Not for one second did I believe it was a joke. 50,000 dollars is more than what I would have got for getting to the semi-final in this tournament, and it was tax-free cash. 'I refused his offer straight away, but I was left wondering what direction we're going in.'"

road.jpg Willa Ford joins Bobby Trendy in new film about Anna Nicole Smith - first shots.

road.jpg Yesterday, the death knell was sounded for West Village bar Julius. Today, news that it has reopened, at least for now.

road.jpg Lesbian couple are first in Colorado to adopt. "'People say, they need two parents. We say, they've got two parents,' says Jeannie DiClementi, who along with life partner Mary Ross, have become the first gay couple to adopt children together under a new state law. 'This is a victory for children.'"

Tattooroad.jpg Jesse Metcalfe obtains topless female tattoo.

road.jpg David Bowie to join UK TV series Dr Who as an evil alien abductor: "The singer who found fame as a cross-dressing glam rock star Ziggy Stardust in the 70s will cross swords with the Tardis's Time Lord, actor David Tennant when he kidnaps crime author Agatha Christie."

road.jpg Lesbian is one of five finalists for bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Chicago.

road.jpg AfterElton talks to style guru Tim Gunn about his forthcoming show and his last relationship: "I had been in a relationship and a very intense one. And it broke up after quite a number of years. And it broke up abruptly – didn't break up from me. I was cast aside. And it was just, just at the advent of AIDS. And I found out he had been sleeping with a lot of people. And thank God I'm healthy. Because I didn't know and it had been going on for a while. So when we broke up, there the world of AIDS is spread out before me, and I thought ‘I can't do this. I don't want to be selfish, but I care too much about my health'. And the person I loved more than myself had been cheating on me and lying to me. So if that person is doing it, what about total strangers? So I just got used to being alone, very used to it."

road.jpg An interactive graph based on The World Without Us, Alan Weisman's gripping new book about what would happen to the Earth should humans disappear.

road.jpg REPORT: Madonna to adopt second orphan from Malawi.

road.jpg Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice tore a jewelry clerk to shreds, according to a new biography, after the clerk whispered something under her breath when Condi asked to see a nicer item: "Let’s get one thing straight. You are behind the counter because you have to work for minimum wage. I’m on this side asking to see the good jewelry because I make considerably more.

road.jpg Filmmaker documents the end of three gay British men in 1967: "The outline of their deaths is well documented. On February 3 1967, the independent record producer Joe Meek killed his landlady, Violet Shenton, before turning the shotgun on himself. On August 9, the hottest new British playwright of his generation, Joe Orton, was murdered by his companion, Kenneth Halliwell. On August 27, the body of the Beatles' manager Brian Epstein was found after an accidental overdose of a prescribed sleeping pill."

Comments

1. The recent UK "quakes" have been more like tremors really, anyone in California would no doubt be amused at our mild rumblings. The one last night woke me up just as I was falling asleep. One of the ones in 2002 was pretty considerable though, shook the whole house for several seconds.

Looking forward to that John Savage documentary, he's an excellent cultural historian. His CD compilation of obscure gay songs, Queer Noises 1961-1978: From the Closet to the Charts, is really great.

Posted by: John C | Aug 30, 2007 4:51:13 PM

2. Well, that would help to explain why Andy Roddick has blown so many matches!

Posted by: bobby | Aug 30, 2007 5:03:04 PM

3. The story about SOS Rice is consistent with her behavior while she was Provost at Stanford. She is not a pleasant person and does not tolerate any disagreement...hmm, she's also our top diplomat. What the heck? That's like having an attorney general who's a liar.

Posted by: JT | Aug 30, 2007 5:05:55 PM

4. Not sure why the Condi story is seen as one. If a clerk talked "sass", to quote the source, to most of us, we would be talking to a manager, at the very least.

Posted by: KJ | Aug 30, 2007 5:07:33 PM

5. I don't get why someone as hot looking as Metcalfe would ruin his arm, unless it's not permanent.

Posted by: Jim | Aug 30, 2007 5:58:45 PM

6. Hello,

We would like to do an interview with you about your blog for
    www.BlogInterviewer.com . We'd like to give you the opportunity to
    give us some insight on the "person behind the blog."

It would just take a few minutes of your time. The interview form can
    be submitted online at http://bloginterviewer.com/submit-an-interview

Best regards,

Mike Thomas

Posted by: Mike Thomas | Aug 30, 2007 6:08:35 PM

7. Condoleezza Rice is beginning to sound like she wants be crowned the new “Queen of Mean".
    Actually she’s much worse than Leona Helmsley ever dreamed of being. Condoleezza Rice’s role is not far removed from that of Joachim von Ribbentrop, Hitler’s foreign minister. Both foreign ministers served governments that use outrageous propaganda lies to support bloody wars of aggression. Von Ribbentrop’s government said Poland was attacking Germany, and Rice’s government claims that Iraq had WMDs, was affiliated with Al Qaida, and was preparing to attack the US.
    I just hope this much abused sales clerk doesn’t wind up in Guantanamo charged with terrorism.

Posted by: Bill Perdue, RainbowRED Organization | Aug 30, 2007 6:33:26 PM

8. Bobby: When I read this post, my first thought was he should NOT have used the Roddick image because someone is going to think it's about him. You may be joking, but it proves my point.

Posted by: manifoldstore.com | Aug 30, 2007 6:44:56 PM

9. Yeah, I have to agree with you. Putting Andy Roddick's image up there only makes it seem as if he has something to do with the controversy. I read and re-read the post, and the linked article a few times in an attempt to make the connection. No luck. The photo was a poor choice, I think.

Posted by: Seth | Aug 30, 2007 6:52:11 PM

10. I'm with Condi on this one. The sales clerk no doubt made some assumptions about the purchase abilities of the black woman in front of her and I think it was only right for Rice to let her know that she was far more capable of the perchase than the clerk was.

I'm a white guy so it doesn't happen all that much to me. But I've seen times when sales clerks treat people with darker skin as though they are paupers or thieves.

It reminds me of Pretty Woman. Sometimes obnoxious clerks need to be reminded that the customer is the one making profit for the store while they are an expense.

Posted by: Timothy | Aug 30, 2007 6:59:05 PM

11. I also reread it a few times to try and figure out the picture connection. If you want to use that picture, just add a line at the end that says "In other tennis news, Andy Roddick can't seem to keep his shirt on" or something like that.

Posted by: Chris | Aug 30, 2007 7:00:47 PM

12. I don't get why someone as dorky as Metcalfe would get a tat on his arm, unless it's not permanent.

Posted by: Jimbo | Aug 30, 2007 7:04:00 PM

13. Sadly, the David Bowie on Doctor Who rumor, which was published in the UK Sun tabloid, has been debunked by the BBC and everyone involved with the show--and Bowie himself.

Posted by: adamblast | Aug 30, 2007 7:06:35 PM

14. Earthquakes strike Manchester's gay village? I know this is a gay blog, but this is taking a bit far isn't? It struck Manchester, gay village or no gay village. I suppose if an earthquake destroys San Francisco now, someone would report it as earthquake destroys Castro Street?

Posted by: hzh | Aug 30, 2007 8:31:21 PM

15. Timothy says "Sometimes obnoxious clerks need to be reminded that the customer is the one making profit for the store while they are an expense."
    What a condescending twit. I dare you to talk like that to waiters and waitresses. In fact I encourage you to.

Posted by: Bill Perdue | Aug 30, 2007 9:58:20 PM

16. I totally agree that salesclerks should totally be put in their place if they display such behavior, since they have no idea the buying power of any customer (rude salespeople are such a pet peeve of mine...I never fail to get the service I expect since I shop a lot & spend a lot and will snap on one in a heartbeat).

I actually met Condoleezza Rice when she was National Security Advisor, and she couldn't have been sweeter. She obviously knew I was gay (as everyone does), but I think that just made her smile & light up that much more. As she was flanked by massive amounts of Secret Service Guards (some very hunky), I didn't have long to speak.

Once you get over the initial shock of her exterior (even uglier than Oprah), she is a quite charming person. You just have to remember she is Satan's handmaiden. I can totally see the resemblence to Joachim von Ribbentrop, though maybe not as psychopathic. She is just very misguided and brainwashed, though I can totally see her going apeshit on that salesclerk.

Funny thing is, I've met Barbara Bush too (George's mother, not the slut daughter), and she is an absolute hoot. Love her, though I can't stand Republicans, and think they are total Nazi's. She was hilarious and loved me too. Might have helped that I'm very out & totally obvious and well connected and know a lot of the same old people she knows. She'd be a blast to get drunk with, even though she gave birth to the Antichrist.

Posted by: Jordan | Aug 30, 2007 11:44:06 PM

17. Condi is a bitch.

No wonder she's head over heels for Dubya.

Posted by: SC | Aug 31, 2007 12:59:23 AM

18. jordan, could you be any more moronic? do you have a poster of nancy reagan over your bed? you sound like a star fucker.

Posted by: sean | Aug 31, 2007 1:03:01 AM

19. After the surge of tentative hope I felt after hearing that the Baiji might not be gone after all, I don't think that Scientific American's world without us meddling humans would be such a bad thing after all...

Posted by: Wirrrn | Aug 31, 2007 3:42:57 AM

20. No, I hate Nancy Reagan. I just happen to have great luck when it comes to meeting famous people (many movie, rock, country, & tv stars). Those are just 2 of the many I've met, and if that makes me a "star fucker", then so be it.

Most of them (the famous) are regular people who have found themselves in unusual circumstances. A few have let it go to their heads, but I still stand by my previous comments...Barbara Bush is a hoot, and probably the only member of that entire family who is actually "fun". She'd be a blast drunk (but is still probably deep down pure evil)

Posted by: Jordan | Aug 31, 2007 12:43:08 PM

21. the bowie thing is nonsense.

Posted by: atheist | Sep 2, 2007 8:57:49 PM

22. Without further details on the Condi story I would hold off judging. We don't know what behavior Condi engaged in, we don't know what the clerk said, however the whole notion that service people should be "put in their place" is repulsive. What place is that exactly? Lowly servant? Person not worthy of respect because they work for minimum wage?

Posted by: DB | Sep 4, 2007 2:48:38 PM

23. Tim Gunn, your boyfriend, Andy Roddick, cheats on you! Trust me, I should know. My girlfriend in Austin told me!

Posted by: Tim | Jan 9, 2009 1:11:09 PM