Barack Obama | Democratic Party | Election 2008 | Episcopal Church | Gene Robinson | New Hampshire | News

Gay Episcopal Bishop Gene Robinson Endorses Barack Obama

Gay Episocopal Bishop Gene Robinson, a New Hampshire resident, came out in support of Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama today, endorsing the candidate in a conference call with reporters.

Robinson_2Said Robinson: "As my work shows me every day, leadership means bringing people together and inspiring them to live out their values. Barack Obama sees beyond the partisanship and hopelessness that have dominated in recent years, and the movement he’s building is bringing vital new energy and optimism into our democratic process. I’m excited to work with Barack to bridge the old divides and make this country one again."

Foster's Daily Democrat reports that Robinson, who has said he plans to register in a civil union with his partner of 18 years, Mark Andrews, in mid-2008, acknowledged that Obama's position on gay marriage was no better than any of the other candidates: "At this moment we have no viable candidate who is where we would like them to be on these issues."

ObamaAccording to the paper he also said that while some point out Obama's lack of experience, that matters little to him: "Quite frankly, I've been quite unimpressed with the experience of other politicians and where that has gotten us in the past."

Obama responded to Robinson's endorsement, saying, "Bishop Robinson represents the best of American values: a generous faith, a commitment to fairness and respect, and an abiding belief in the possibilities of every individual. I look forward to his support in this groundbreaking campaign."

You may have missed...
Candidates to Hold Dueling Fundraisers on Gay Debate Night [tr]
Barack Obama Feels the Vibe [tr]

Comments

1. Someone should remind this guy that last week with his Hillary bickering, he's proven to be one who doesn't see beyond the hopeless partisanship, but is a huge part of it-- Obama isn't this shining beacon of hope he once was; to me, he's just self-indulgent politician who thinks he can do no wrong and will step on anyone to get to the top.

Posted by: Bryan | Aug 2, 2007 3:38:37 PM

2. WHA????

As a practicing member of the Episcopal Church I know that the church has a formal policy of not permitting the clergy to advocate political candidates.

On one level I am proud that there is a gay Episcopal bishop elected by his congregation but ABSOLUTELY APPALLED that he has turned himself into a complete media whore. I heard from a friend in New Hampshire that Robinson even has a PAID media consultant. Probably plans to make money writing a book next. He really is too much. Next thing you know I expect to see him in the backroom of the Ramrod in Boston on weekends. ECK.

Posted by: tony the tiger | Aug 2, 2007 3:44:57 PM

3. I respect Bishop Robinson, but I object to his use of the pulpit to engage in political activism. I object to right-wing pulpit endorsements of Republicans for exactly the same reason. And as a tax-exempt body, the church is legally bound to avoid this kind of thing.

Politics is an ugly business. Despite the church's equally ugly history, I think politics sullies what is an important source of introspection and solace for many people.

Posted by: Brian | Aug 2, 2007 3:48:40 PM

4. Vickie Gene (I'm not being nasty. That's what the V. stands for in his name.) needs to stick to God and leave politics to others.

Whatever his personal beliefs, to endorse a political candidate is inappropriate. He certainly isn't the only clergyman doing it, but it is still unethical. I hope the IRS revokes his tax exempt status.

Unfortunately, it's indicative of what is going on in the ECUSA, to which I used to belong. I know so many gay men that worship him just because he's a gay man. No one bothers to notice that he is a bit of a moron.

Frankly, it seems like a desperate attempt by a pathetic man to stay in the media spotlight.

Posted by: David | Aug 2, 2007 4:04:51 PM

5. Oh please, he is an American like the rest of us, and as such he is entitled to personally endorse anyone he chooses. Now if he was using church resources, the power of his office or preaching support from his sunday pulpit it would be another thing entirely. But this is just a simple statement of his personal support. No different than Oprah gave, or dozens of others. The fact that he is a religious figure is irrelevant as long as he is keeping his personal opinions seperate from his professional duties.

Posted by: John | Aug 2, 2007 4:09:25 PM

6. I emailed the vicar at my church (which is episcopal) on this and he was equally appalled.

As we all know from the Southern Baptist ministers who mix religion with politics it always ends in disaster.

Bishop Robinson has exercised terrible judgment in 101 different ways including in particular the manner in which he introduced himself as the first gay bishop. He is like this country bumpkin who comes to market and makes a complete idiot of himself. He is a divider not a uniter.

Posted by: tony the tiger | Aug 2, 2007 4:12:17 PM

7. I too found it odd that Bishop Robinson chose to endorse any politician, and it does raise the question of church-state separation.

That being said, I must confess that my view of Obama has changed over the past several days. In fact, the spat between Obama and Hillary really made me more willing to support Obama's campaign. His statement that he would meet with leaders from Iran, Cuba, North Korea, etc. without conditions was right on and exactly what we need to do. Hillary's retort actually showed me how naive she is and how a Hillary Clinton foreign policy won't be far from what we have now.

Just my $0.02.

Posted by: Jonathon | Aug 2, 2007 4:12:28 PM

8. Yeah, I was coming around to the Obama camp too, Jonathon, until he started talking about bombing Pakistan. Don't get Bushy on me, Barack.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 2, 2007 4:36:35 PM

9. With friends like these, who needs enemies?

Posted by: 24play | Aug 2, 2007 4:53:22 PM

10. I wasn't aware that Robinson's comments were made outside of the pulpit... I thought it was a statement he made in church. My mistake. In this case, yes of course he is welcome to support any candidate he wishes. Making public statements about that support, however, can often be difficult for people like Robinson, whose personal and professional lives are often difficult to tease apart.

I've also never been a Hillary Clinton fan. She seems disingenuous, and her foreign policy will definitely not be too far from the foolishness that is currently being conducted in our name.

Posted by: Brian | Aug 2, 2007 5:18:45 PM

11. Well, isn't that special...

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Aug 2, 2007 5:26:24 PM

12. Obama gets the cult vote.

Posted by: Becks07 | Aug 2, 2007 5:37:46 PM

13. Jonathon. Jonathon. Jonathon. Try to pay attention:

Fact 1: Obama told the "Miami Herald." before that debate, "Under certain conditions, I always believe in talking."

Fact 2. During the debate, it was "without preconditions."

Fact 3. But immediately after the debate, he sent his spokesman into the press room to insist that he didn't necessarily mean he, himself as President, would be willing to meet "without preconditions." Maybe one of his staff but....

Later Hillary called him "naive" and he shot back by calling her "Bush-Cheney Lite." Both were ill-advised, but by any standard of ridiculous moral equivalencies, Obama clearly took the lowest road, and unlike Jonathon, he can't blame it on stupidity and sciolism.

Then that neo-nazi in Magic Jesus Underwear Romney showed that he could be just as absurd by comparing Obama to Neville Chamberlain. He and Guiliani are competing for the White House by competing for title of Most Ruthless Liar while Hillary and Obama are, pyrotechnics aside, basically on the same page in this regard.

Posted by: Leland | Aug 2, 2007 5:49:59 PM

14. Ooops, another candidate for the Talking Out of His Ass Award, Brian, crawled in while I was typing.

Posted by: Leland | Aug 2, 2007 5:52:36 PM

15. Keep Church and State separate. It's wrong for the Fundies to mix it up; it is wrong for us to mix it up.

Posted by: MyDogBen | Aug 2, 2007 7:36:29 PM

16. In addition to keeping church and state separate, I am also a proponent of keeping gays and state separate.

Gays are too silly and flippant to be engaged in serious matters of state. Gays are much better off preoccupying themselves with Lance Bass's new boyfriend or Nick on Big Brother as presented to you by Andy Towle.

TONY THE TIGER

Posted by: tony the tiger | Aug 2, 2007 7:58:16 PM

17. Religious “leaders” like Gene Robinson are self serving parasites who often succumb to the superstitious sewage they wallow in. They “preach” rank idiocies that were, even in the dark ages, the stuff mental illness is made of.
    Robinsons anglo-catholic sect is just a muddied version of roman catholicism, whose sole saving grace is that they ‘allow’ priests to have spouses, thus safeguarding the asses of many Episcopal boys.
    But in all other respects they are like their roman brethren – they drink in superstition and irrationality, refuse to get real jobs and be productive members of society, and are often found in the front lines of the battle against enabling the constitutional rights of gays and lesbians.
    Robinson’s disgraceful endorsement of a Democrat, a member of a party that wrote the DOMA and DADT and hurried them into law to attract the votes of those demented bigots called evangelicals is an example of why the advice religious ‘leaders’ is rubbish. The democratic party has many constituents who support us, but it’s leadership would send us to the showers and fire up the ovens if it were necessary to get them elected. They are not our friends.

Posted by: Bill Perdue, RainbowRED Organization | Aug 2, 2007 8:45:17 PM

18. TONY THE TIGER -- The sarcasm drips from your posts so much I need a shower curtain when I read them, but I end up laughing.

Aside from a few regularly well-informed posters here, I have to agree with the pit of truth that hides inside the fruit of your sarcasm. These asshats will put 57 posts on a Reichen thread but less than 20 on a matter like this.

Posted by: Becks07 | Aug 2, 2007 9:50:54 PM

19. How any gay person can stand behind a candidate who doesn't think gays deserve the right to marry is beyond me.

The ONLY! candidate who fully supports gay marriage is Dennis Kucinich, and that's who we should be supporting.

Posted by: gino | Aug 2, 2007 11:39:25 PM

20. THIS CHURCH IS SO GAY!!!!

I mean come on guys, just look at that picture. Costumes, and crowns and silly hats...this is just like the catholic gay pride parade... it is time they all admited they like to suck cock.

Posted by: ReasonBased | Aug 3, 2007 3:09:40 PM