Global Warming | News | Photography | Spencer Tunick

BigGayDeal.com

Glacial Bodies: Spencer Tunick's Latest Freeze Frame

Tunick

Six-hundred people took part in a unique weekend activity on Saturday, posing naked for photographer Spencer Tunick on a Swiss glacier in a Greenpeace-sponsored shoot intended to draw attention to the issue of global warming.

The Guardian reports: "For the Aletsch shoot, Greenpeace advertised on its website for suitable volunteers for the project who could allow all day for the 'unique experience'. Participants were assured they would not 'be naked for very long'. Tunick's 'living sculptures' have a dual artistic value for his fans, both in the act of persuading so many ordinary people to disrobe and in making nudity appear mundane, but for yesterday's work he said it was human vulnerability he wanted to emphasise. 'I want my images to go more than skin-deep. I want the viewers to feel the vulnerability of their existence and how it relates closely to the sensitivity of the world's glaciers,' he said."

The Swiss glaciers are projected to disappear completely by the year 2080.

Tunick2_2 Tunick3

You may have missed...
18,000 Bare All for Spencer Tunick in Mexico City [tr]
World AIDS Day Premiere: Positively Naked [tr]
Tunick Watch: Naked on the Coast of Spain [tr]
Spencer Tunick Celebrates Skin in Caracas [tr]
A River of Flesh [tr]

Comments

1. Wouldn't their body heat contribute to the melting of the glacier?

Posted by: Brian | Aug 20, 2007 1:12:26 PM

2. I posed for a Spencer Tunick piece at Burning Man 1999. It was a great experience.

Posted by: mynameisstolen | Aug 20, 2007 4:13:25 PM

3. I was going to pose for Spencer at BurningMan in 1999, but I ate way too many pot brownies and was too fucked up to make it over to the staging area.

Posted by: peterparker | Aug 20, 2007 4:32:17 PM

4. Does anyone else find these pieces redundant and boring? I mean, they were cool at first, but enough with the gimmick.

Posted by: Gregg | Aug 20, 2007 7:05:02 PM

5. This is just too freaky looking. (or maybe I just shouldnt be mixing psych meds with martinis, but whatever). Humans look way too much like seals or something scary.

But do you think anyone with the capability to actually do anything about global warming will see this? Anyone that can change policy or treaties to reduce pollution?

This administration doesn't give a crap about this planet.

Posted by: Jordan | Aug 20, 2007 11:25:54 PM

6. I posed for Spencer with 400 others when he shot here in Milford, Pa. in the Fall of 2005. It was one of the greatest and most unique experiences of my life. So many ethnicities, ages, and body types were represented. It was very beautiful. The photos I received a few months later are stunning and I cherish them.

Posted by: Derek | Aug 21, 2007 10:58:18 AM