News | Richard Branson | Stephen Colbert

BigGayDeal.com

Stephen Colbert and Richard Branson Are All Wet

There was news circulating earlier in the week of a water fight between Stephen Colbert and Virgin honcho Richard Branson on The Colbert Report. We now have the footage.

On a related note, has anyone flown Virgin America?

Comments

1. Once again, Dickie figures out how to get a message to go viral.

Nonetheless, Branson always feels like a bit of an amiable goof -- never as cool and comfortable as his marketing machine might make him out to be.

But I still give him props for developing a very cool travel experience in the form of Virgin Atlantic Upper Class. Every hipster gay should try it at least once.

BTW, there is a very useful online community about traveling on Virgin Atlantic -- and it happens to be run by a gay guy and has many gay members -- at www.v-flyer.com

Posted by: Becks07 | Aug 23, 2007 11:05:51 AM

2. Branson is obviously straight, as his drink-throwing technique is terrible.

Posted by: Roy | Aug 23, 2007 11:12:29 AM

3. So much for the reported tantrum , both Branson and Colbert seem pretty amused. Branson definitely has a bit of the BILF (Billionaire I'd like to....) about 'm.

Posted by: Giovanni | Aug 23, 2007 11:19:52 AM

4. I flew Virgin America a week ago LAX - SFO - JFK on the red eye. Was pretty neat.

Posted by: Dave K | Aug 23, 2007 11:46:53 AM

5. Why was all the hype indicating that they were truly mad at each other. Looked like they were both enjoying it!

Posted by: Michael M | Aug 23, 2007 12:01:28 PM

6. Stephen will forever be Mr. Noblet from "Strangers With Candy" to me...

Posted by: Chesnut | Aug 23, 2007 12:19:50 PM

7. re: Roy. LOL - very funny.

re: Branson. love his style & 'tude. back in the day, he single-handedly bankrolled the gay club Heaven (London), partly as a gesture to a personal friend. Sure didn't hurt that it was a shrewd marketing move for Virgin Records and the burgeoning pink pound, but it was opened at a time (early 80s) when AIDS paranoia was sweeping all over and gay rights/visibility was much, much lower than today.

Posted by: resurrect | Aug 23, 2007 1:49:30 PM

8. I haven't flown Virgin America (yet), but I agree with Becks07 that the Virgin Atlantic Upper Class experience is something every gay hipster should do at least once...it's fantastic! Besides, Virgin Airlines has pledged to be carbon neutral within a few years...in my opinion there is no reason to consider any other airline unless Virgin doesn't fly where you need to go.

Posted by: peterparker | Aug 23, 2007 2:42:24 PM

9. I flew Virgin NY-SF last week and it was pleasant. They charge $25 extra for wider emergency rows, but it's totally worth it.

The video system is also your ordering system- which is odd because if you want a drink of water say, you select it, put it in yr cart, and "buy" it even if it's free.

The vid system has a lot of kinks- saw a lot of reboots of its Linux based system. There's a bit of paucity to the available channels, and lots of "blank" channels telling you you should become a subscriber- uh, I'm on a plane. Tell Virgin to do it.

The pay-per views are an ok selection, 8 dollars apiece - I wonder if there's so few free channels cos they want you to buy the PPV.

The food selection is poor: one sort of so-so Italian sandwich, or a cheese and fruit plate. That's all. There are various snacks.

Otherwise it was a pleasant flight, a nice alt. to JetBlue, which has raised its prices, packs its flights and caves in to Bill O'reilly. Virgin was comfortable and affordable and we actually arrived an hour early (!). I recommend it.

Posted by: Deschanel | Aug 23, 2007 2:44:19 PM