Democratic Party | Election 2008 | Film | Gay Media | Lance Bass | Michael Bloomberg | Music | New York | News | Pedro Andrade | Rosie O'Donnell | Singapore | Tom Cruise

News: Michael Bloomberg, B52s, Siskel & Ebert & Roeper, Hairspray

road.jpg The New York Times does a "sting" job on Mayor Michael Bloomberg's claims that he takes the subway to work "virtually every day" and finds that while Bloomberg is telling the truth, he may not be telling all of it: "On mornings that he takes the subway from home, Mr. Bloomberg is picked up at his Upper East Side town house by a pair of king-size Chevrolet Suburbans. The mayor is driven 22 blocks to the subway station at 59th Street and Lexington Avenue, where he can board an express train to City Hall. His drivers zip past his neighborhood station, a local subway stop a five-minute walk away." The mayor's response to the brouhaha: "Some people focus on important things, some people don't."

Andraderoad.jpg Bass boytoy Pedro Andrade shows what he's got.

road.jpg Are the Democratic contenders for president in 2008 feeling more liberated about their relationship with the gay voting base? "The Democrats' apparent newfound confidence on gay issues -- a confidence, to be fair, that hasn't yet been tested by general election pressures -- has two sources. There's a broad cultural shift, indicated by polling, toward public support for gay rights. And the shift comes as Democrats feel confident that Republicans -- weakened and tied to an unpopular war in Iraq -- will be unable to turn gay rights into the high-profile wedge issue it was in 2004."

road.jpg Singapore on gay rights: one step forward, two steps back.

road.jpg Online archive of Siskel & Ebert & Roeper is created, showcasing more than 1,000 shows and reviews of over 5,000 movies. Ebert: "Gene and I knew those old shows would be worth saving, but for a long time nobody agreed with us. In the years before home video, it seemed like a waste of expensive video tape to preserve hundreds of episodes of our earlier incarnations on “Opening Soon at a Theater Near You,” “Sneak Previews” or “At the Movies.” After all, the movies we were reviewing weren’t going to be opening again, and who’d want to watch a show of old movie reviews? Right?"

road.jpg Cindy Wilson on the new B-52s album: "It's the best thing we've ever done. This is the worst time in the world to put out a record. We should have our heads examined for even trying to do something new the way things are now, but that's just the way it's happened. We'd recorded in the Bahamas but never in Athens. There's an 'Athens vibe,' even though it's changed so much over there. I think it's the magical kiss we needed. We're bringing everything that's happened to us in 30 years to this record. There's a maturity to it, but we're not about to grow up. It's still us, you know."

Hairsprayroad.jpg Hairspray: Sing-along Edition coming to a city near you.

road.jpg Rosie O'Donnell turned down $2 million to appear on The Apprentice.

road.jpg PlanetOut reports second quarter 2007 results. CEO Magee: "During the second quarter we made significant progress in our efforts to solidify PlanetOut's balance sheet and position the company for future growth. During the quarter, we signed an agreement to raise $26.2 million through an equity financing transaction, which closed in early July 2007; and we examined every aspect of our business to identify ways to simplify and focus the company, and reduce expenses. Our recent announcement to close PlanetOut's international offices was a direct result of this effort. We are making strategic changes to enable us to increase focus throughout the organization on the most critical issues and opportunities in front of us during an important time of transition and rebuilding for the company." (LGBT)

road.jpg Jealous of the Beckhams, Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes want to do a W naked photoshoot of their own: "A friend of the couple told Australia's 'New Weekly' magazine: 'They have already started planning some of the photos. One suggestion they were keen on was a shot of them posing together in the shower, dripping wet and covered by nothing but steam.'"

Comments

1. Pedro has a hot body, but the face....not so much.

I'd definetely hit it though.

Posted by: michael | Aug 2, 2007 1:57:29 PM

2. You can see what's Pedro's "got" any day at the Greenwich Ave Equinox. And he's kind of a little dude.

I'm really not sure what all the hub bub is about. The last campaign I actually saw him featured in was for Manhattan Mini Storage. This whole thing is rapidly becoming retarded.

Posted by: MT | Aug 2, 2007 2:10:36 PM

3. I wouldn't toss him out of the sack, but I don't see what he has that almost any other reasonably gym-toned twenty-something gay male Manhattanite doesn't.

Posted by: Frank L | Aug 2, 2007 3:02:28 PM

4. "Bass boy toy"
    awfully cheezy, bitter, and rude of you, Andy.

Posted by: ht | Aug 2, 2007 3:38:38 PM

5. The NYT also reported recently that Bloomberg had to pay off a lot of money to get a woman to sign off on a non disclosure contract about his paying her off for sexualy harrasing her. Bloomberg doesn't shine as much as he and his supporters claim.

Posted by: anon | Aug 2, 2007 3:39:28 PM

6. On Plaet out

Marketwatch.com shows Planet out stock selling for $1.74 a share down from $1.90+ when Bill gates and all bought it recently. Not good at all

Posted by: anon | Aug 2, 2007 3:42:01 PM

7. I was VERY amused that Pedro is passing himself off as a model. See him at Equinox all the time....very short....receding hairline...misproportioned body...wouldn't hit it unless I had my beer goggles on.

He was in an advertisement for some moving storage company and another one for an advertisement for a vietnamese restaurant called indochine which has been in Paper Magazine over and over but otherwise his modelling career is for naught. Still nice to see how he is milking this Lance Bass thing for all he can. WHAT I THINK IS HE NEVER STOPPED DATING TJ AND THEY BOTH AGREED HE WOULD "DATE" LANCE FOR THE EXPOSURE AND WHEN IT IS OVER HE GOES BACK TO TJ. nice plan. I'll watch over TJ in the meantime.

Posted by: tony the tiger | Aug 2, 2007 4:15:54 PM

8. Re: Pedro
    Its sad how vicious jealous queens get. He's obviously hotter than most people, and that probably does include you and me, because:

1) he actually does work as a model, sorry catty girls, I've regularly seen him walk in shows and I have to laugh at you guys for claiming to not think he's all that because you seem to follow his campaigns too closely
    2) he's always dated super hot guys (e.g TJ)
    3) He's always been incredibly sweet and charming in person

'

Posted by: astro | Aug 2, 2007 7:50:04 PM

9. Sorry not hotter than me.

Posted by: tony the tiger | Aug 2, 2007 7:59:27 PM

10. Some of you guys are so damn funny...

It's like you sit around waiting for Andy's new posts simply to locate yourself an outlet for your tired vitriol. I'll tell you one thing about Pedro: when I moved to NYC and I was in the bar he worked at and everyone else was too busy soaking up their own insecure vanity, Pedro was the one who went out of his way to talk to me each and every time. Since then, he's never been anything but chill when I see him out (TJ's a different story). He's modeled and he's done hosting gigs from what I've seen. Sure, he's not jet-setting the world like Chad White, but the boy's doing a helluva lot more modeling than either of us and even if the Lance + Pedro thing is really a rouse--who's pulling that kinda strings with you? Where's your celeb/pseudo celeb boy bait?

Posted by: Derrick | Aug 2, 2007 10:50:35 PM

11. Pedro IS a working model, and actually a very sweet guy. Of course, now that he's dating Lance, the tabloids will tear him to shreds and make him look like a cheating, gold-digging ho. Sucks for him.

Posted by: GREG | Aug 3, 2007 12:21:26 AM

12. GOD NO, please no pics of Tom & Katie in W!. They are not hot! Who wants to see that?

Noone buys their sham marriage idea. Sure we can believe they are jealous of David & Victoria...since they are hot and fashionable, and their W spread was smokin', but I for one don't want to see someone like Katie (who USED to be cute and sweet) degrade herself playing wife with that nutcase.

Posted by: Jordan | Aug 3, 2007 12:34:16 AM

13. Sorry Tony but whens the last time your photo was plastered all over blogs, were paid to be in any ad campaign, or were part of a runway show?
    Just because you get some hits on Manhunt doesn't mean you're hot. In fact, you're angry and jealous enough that I consider you ugly without having to see your pic.

Posted by: astro | Aug 3, 2007 1:13:00 AM

14. Oh please. Next time I go to the Town House and get some tired old queen to buy me a martini instead of admitting I am an attorney I'll tell him I am a "model" just like Pedro. Only I am not barbacking and barebacking at that stupid Japanese bar in the meat packing district like Pedro. Same difference.

TONY THE TIGER

Posted by: tony the tiger | Aug 3, 2007 1:30:01 AM

15. Lance Bass' new boyfriend used to date Tom Jones?!

Posted by: peterparker | Aug 3, 2007 4:19:01 AM

16. On a more interesting note...The B-52s will be playing next Friday at Coney Island for FREE. I am so there!!!

Posted by: G-Man | Aug 3, 2007 12:03:41 PM