Common Says He’s Over Homophobic Lyrics

Meant to post this earlier in the week. As noted by Contact Music, which never references where they find their quotes, rap star Common has said he’s made an effort to rid his music of homophobic lyrics:

Common“The singer admits he didn’t realise his words were upsetting fans until he was approached by two devotees after a concert. He says, ‘They was like, ‘Why you keep disrespecting homosexuality?’ I thought about it. I ain’t here to judge ’em, so I just decided not to approach it like that.’ Common has also censored the word ‘n**ger’ in his songs after apologising to TV host Oprah Winfrey for using the derogatory term. He adds, ‘I took out some words on my (new) album after that, because I wanted to show a step for myself toward improving on certain things.'”

Comments

1. Mark says

DC-20008, why because he saw that he was being ignorant? Its attitudes like yours that make straight society perpetuate the myth that all gay people are praying on them.

2. Derrick from Philly says

Don’t you fret none, Mark, I be prayin’ on them all the time. That’s what good Christian homos do, we pray on the straight people–make ’em seek gay salvation. Hallelujah!

I couldn’t help it, Mark. YOu know what kinda’ smart ass queen (who can’t spell worth shit myself) I am. Love ya’

3. Zeke says

Wow, not the responses I was expecting.

People here, rightfully, rant and rave about the homophobia in rap music but when an artist sees the error of his ways, makes a change, and PUBLICLY declares it, he gets picked apart and insulted.

What exactly is the incentive to grow and to change if this is what awaits those who do on the other side?

Common, though I’ve never heard of you before, I am very thankful that you’ve experienced these epiphanies. I commend your new way of thinking and I salute your courageous public stand. I hope you are a vision of things to come. Best wishes.

4. michael says

Just another piece of rap crap hiding behind his blackness to spew anti-gay hatred to the world. Gosh, I’m so sick of these guys. His epiphany is probably a stunt.

5. says

I’m with Zeke. We rightly target folks who espouse homophobia, but fail to acknowledge when someone recants negative statements and moves forward.

Being gay may be genetic, but I seriously doubt that the propensity for bitchy comments that afflicts gay men is.

Common has made public his commitment to not use homophobic and he deserves kudos for that.

6. adam says

Don’t forget that MTV does its best to promote these vile homophobes. So much for MTV being gay-friendly. MTV has done more damage to gay people than any other organization bar the religious right.

7. Zeke says

“His epiphany is probably a stunt.” — Michael

That seems to be awefully and unjustifiably cynical to me.

Even if your claim turns out to be true and he resorts to his old ways, isn’t THEN the time to call him out? Trust me, if he does have a relapse, I’ll be right there with ya. Until then, I’m giving Common the benefit of the doubt and I’ll give him words of encouragement. That seems the best way to encourage him to realize his new anti-homophobia position, regardless of what motivated it, is the right one.

8. says

Listen to Common’s words. They’re not the average MTV rappers bile. In fact MTV didn’t even play him that much until Kanya began producing him.

Before you talk about someone at least try to take into account who they are. Since that’s what we want the straight world to do with us.

Some of the comments here just prove some of the worst stereotypes about gay men…sad.

peaceout.

9. Giovanni says

I am with you Zeke! As for the Common haters I guess the operative word here would be COMMON followed by IRONY as in it’s ironic that people who should know better are so quick to judge shit they know nothing about – Pot meet Kettle…

Open up your ears – expand your horizons – just as all gay men are not the same nor is all hip hop! Yes there is great deal that is culturally destructive and should be called out but there is also great wit, whimsy and moments of profound strentgh/pathos that can make the heart soar and the soul ache.

A lot of you may not get it but then again, judging from the sweeping condemnation hip hop seems to get from some posters – you aren’t looking it for either -it’s all just… black noise. And Michael, just what is it you are hiding behind your gayness?

10. gregus says

@Adam: MTV has done more damage to gay people than any other organization bar the religious right.

With LOGO being an MTV Network channel, don’t you think they deserve just a little credit? I also seem to remember Pedro Zamora on MTV being an amazing step forward in representing both HIV+ people and gay people.

11. So Left I'm Right says

Has anyone actually listened to Common’s music before? What the hell are you people talking about? “…these vile homophobes” and “rap crap”. I’m sorry if you don’t appreciate hip hop, and I realize everyone’s got their own musical preferences; however, Common is not one who can be lumped into the “gangsta'” stereotype music some of you apparently immediately think of when you hear the word “rap”. It’s not all about bitches-n-hos-n-bling. Ignorance and distaste for a musical genre does not excuse stereotyping all “black” music as the same or calling it crap. Common has been much more widely associated with neo-soul artists, has explored many unconventional themes for a rapper, and is often thought-provoking in his lyrics. “The Light” is, to me, probably one of the most amazing songs to come out of recent hip hop. Hanging out with Kanye probably helps his attitude, but moving to more understanding (and noting that many gay people do like his music), and declaring so in a public interview, are all good things. Save your vitriol for Buju and Beenie Man.

12. says

It is nice that he has discovered being a bigot isn’t very nice and that he wants to please Oprah by not using the “N” word. I don’t think he deserves much more praise than that. Why does everyone get so excited when people who are doing bad things all of a sudden say they are going to stop? I mean good for him, he should have never done it in the first place, now move along, nothing more to see here.

13. mike says

FOR AJ:

I do pray on all straights. I pray on their souls that they will stop being so ignorant about queer people. I, like most queer people, do not prey on straights. Thats why I pray on their souls that they stop being so ignorant about queer people and stop thinking that I always want to hit on their nasty asses.

14. mike says

FOR AJ:

15. nic says

i suddenly want to cuddle with Common. i’m not assuming he’s gay, but i’d like to hug him, nonetheless. in his milieu, that takes more than a little courage. let’s give credit where it’s due.

Mike:

nice try on that “prey” — “pray” rescue effort. we all screw up. lol.

hugs for you.