Kiss | News | Rachel Griffiths | Television

Exclusive: Brothers and Sisters' Rachel Griffiths on Gay Kisses

Macfarlane_rhys

Entertainment Weekly has given us an exclusive sneak peek at their Fall TV Preview issue, which hits stands tomorrow.

EwRachel Griffiths talks to Dave Karger about the gay content in Brothers and Sisters, and letters they've received saying, "Please can you stop with the kissing? It's okay that there's a gay in the family, but I don't have to see him make pash face (an Australian term)."

Griffiths tells the magazine that she has a special way of dealing with these kinds of complaints.

Says Griffiths: "I’ve had older women come up to me: 'Could you tell your writers I can’t deal with those gays kissing all the time!' And I’m like, 'How do you feel about a black person and a white person kissing?' They’re like, 'Well, that’s all right.' And I’m like, 'Well, you know what? Your mother probably would have been uncomfortable with that. So you just have to get with the program.'"

Brothers and Sisters, and its plentiful amounts of gay kissing, returns on September 30.

Griffiths_field

You may have missed...
Eric Winter Cast as Rob Lowe's Gay Bro on Brothers & Sisters [tr]
Luke MacFarlane and Matthew Rhys Heat Up Brothers & Sisters [tr]
Towleroad Guide to the Tube: #116 [tr]

Comments

1. Good for her! (I've never seen this show--is it any good?)

Posted by: Michael W. | Sep 6, 2007 2:37:50 PM

2. DAAAAAAAAAAMN!

SMACK!

Griffiths ROCKS!

The women I know think that two hot men kissing is way HOT.

Posted by: Zeke | Sep 6, 2007 2:51:16 PM

3. That's old news. She said that months ago. I mean she may have repeated it but even I heard her say that months ago.

Posted by: Samuel | Sep 6, 2007 2:54:30 PM

4. rachel griffiths is the secret queen of the universe.

Posted by: brad | Sep 6, 2007 2:55:40 PM

5. I have always loved Griffiths! She was incredible on Six Feet Under as well! What a great way put back on someone. That's the way to tell them.

And Michael W, it is an incredible show! I highly recommned it.

Posted by: RB | Sep 6, 2007 3:16:42 PM

6. Samuel, you probably were saying pointless, arrogant asswipe things months ago, too, but here ya are again.

As for the show, it's something of a nighttime soap, and, personally, I've never liked Griffiths in anything, though bless her for being so gay-affirming. We need a lot more of that bitch slapping of bigotry from our "allies." Nor do I like a lot of the other casting, but there's nothing better currently on the networks vis-a-vis gay men. Sample kissing scenes:

Not that anyone cares, but I hope gay regular character Kevin ends up, in more ways than one, with the character Scotty in the first clip, though they parted long ago.

Posted by: Leland Frances | Sep 6, 2007 3:17:31 PM

7. There's not enough gay kissing on the show, which is one of the few dramas I watch.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Sep 6, 2007 3:23:56 PM

8. It's a good, family drama ... and the family is quirky and not perfect. They treat any/all gay characters as no big deal.

Sally Field's brother (Uncle Saul) on the show appears to be gay as well ... at least based on the last show where his old "friend" showed up and talked about their play times together.

The guy who playes the youngest brother (Justin) is very sexy too!

Posted by: ATLSteve | Sep 6, 2007 3:37:48 PM

9. I want to kiss Rachel!

Posted by: JR | Sep 6, 2007 5:24:10 PM

10. Michael W., you can see all of the episodes at ABC.com. I don't know how long they will be available, especially since the dvd of the first season will be released in a few weeks. And as someone alluded to, you can see a lot of Kevin's scenes on youtube.

The show is well written, and Kevin is probably the most well rounded gay character to ever appear on broacast tv.

Posted by: Cadence | Sep 6, 2007 5:29:20 PM

11. About two years ago, I went to The Ivy at the Shore in Santa Monica with a friend and her husband. As we walked in the door, there was a baby stroller sitting lonesome by the entrance with no one anywhere near it. My friend's husband (who is often perceived as gay) and I nosily began to check out the baby stroller, wondering who left it there and why they left it there and where was the kid that should have been in it. So engrossed we were that we didn't notice the woman who walked up behind us, put her face in between us and said quietly, "You know, the kid that should be in there is that little blond boy over there. You can have him if you want him, but he'll cost you about ten million dollars." It was Rachel Griffiths teasing us. It seemed pretty clear that she thought my friend's husband and I were a couple. And it seemed clear that she was down with the idea of two guys adopting a child together. I'd always been a fan of her acting, but now I truly liked *her*.

Posted by: peterparker | Sep 6, 2007 5:39:44 PM

12. About two years ago, I went to The Ivy at the Shore in Santa Monica with a friend and her husband. As we walked in the door, there was a baby stroller sitting lonesome by the entrance with no one anywhere near it. My friend's husband (who is often perceived as gay) and I nosily began to check out the baby stroller, wondering who left it there and why they left it there and where was the kid that should have been in it. So engrossed we were that we didn't notice the woman who walked up behind us, put her face in between us and said quietly, "You know, the kid that should be in there is that little blond boy over there. You can have him if you want him, but he'll cost you about ten million dollars." It was Rachel Griffiths teasing us. It seemed pretty clear that she thought my friend's husband and I were a couple. And it seemed clear that she was down with the idea of two guys adopting a child together. I'd always been a fan of her acting, but now I truly liked *her*.

Posted by: peterparker | Sep 6, 2007 5:41:05 PM

13. Even though I agree with Rachel Griffiths' comment. To be honest when was the last time you saw a white and black character kiss. I don't see it very often and to unless I'm wrong the only interracial relationship I've ever seen on tv was Six Feet Under and the more passionate or sex scenes were always with David with someone else besides Keith.

Posted by: dbfeb | Sep 6, 2007 6:34:59 PM

14. Even though I agree with Rachel Griffiths' comment. To be honest when was the last time you saw a white and black character kiss. I don't see it very often and to unless I'm wrong the only interracial relationship I've ever seen on tv was Six Feet Under and the more passionate or sex scenes were always with David with someone else besides Keith.

Posted by: dbfeb | Sep 6, 2007 6:35:44 PM

15. Stop being so bitter people. Rachel just used a very good counter argument - so it may not be true. But so? She got the msg across.

Posted by: Alfred | Sep 6, 2007 7:02:57 PM

16. I have always loved me some Rachel Griffiths! She is the big sister I would love to have. I love that show. Love Sally Field (cause she is just like my mom, minus the Oscars). I also like Calista Flockhart a lot, and Balthazar Getty is pretty hot also.

And is it just me, or is Dave Annable, who plays Justin, the hottest guy on there? I wished he played the gay brother! God do I have fantasies about him. I can't wait for that show to come back on.

Posted by: Jordan | Sep 6, 2007 7:20:09 PM

17. Justin, played by Dave Annable is incredibly hot and a damn fine actor. Brothers and Sisters is one of the few shows I try hard not to miss. It's well written, has a great cast and presents a positive gay storyline/character. It reminds me a little of the "Family Stone" which is one of my favorite films.

Great response Ms. Griffiths, thank you for your support.

Posted by: Bob R | Sep 6, 2007 7:35:58 PM

18. Justin, played by Dave Annable is incredibly hot and a damn fine actor. Brothers and Sisters is one of the few shows I try hard not to miss. It's well written, has a great cast and presents a positive gay storyline/character. It reminds me a little of the "Family Stone" which is one of my favorite films.

Great response Ms. Griffiths, thank you for your support.

Posted by: Bob R | Sep 6, 2007 7:36:18 PM

19. Justin, played by Dave Annable is incredibly hot and a damn fine actor. Brothers and Sisters is one of the few shows I try hard not to miss. It's well written, has a great cast and presents a positive gay storyline/character. It reminds me a little of the "Family Stone" which is one of my favorite films.

Great response Ms. Griffiths, thank you for your support.

Posted by: Bob R | Sep 6, 2007 7:36:23 PM

20. Holla! @ Rachel Griffiths!

DBFEB - There's actually been a lot of interracial relationships and B&W kissing on TV lately, including on shows like Grey's Anatomy, Men In Trees, Battlestar Galactica, Lost, Will & Grace, ER, My Name is Earl, and others.

And, coming up on Brothers & Sisters, Danny Glover is joining the cast as a love interest for Sally Fields' character.

Posted by: Rob | Sep 6, 2007 10:29:57 PM

21. Definitely a "Brothers & Sisters" fan. I love the way they make the gay story lines just another part of the show. I guess Rachel G. is okay, but I LOVE (yes, I like her, I REALLY like her) Sally Fields. The paring of her with Tom Skerritt (ala "Steel Magnolias") was perfect. Can't wait for this season!

Posted by: Dean | Sep 7, 2007 12:08:17 AM

22. good on rachel. i liked her a lot on six feet under.

Posted by: nic | Sep 7, 2007 12:57:11 AM

23. As an Aussie I'd just like to point out that the expression is not "pash face", it's simply "pash".

Posted by: par3182 | Sep 7, 2007 2:59:50 AM

24. Leland, why do you always come out bashing other people's posts?

Posted by: zeke | Sep 7, 2007 7:18:51 AM

25. hmmm... These exact comments, word-for-word, appeared in Rachel's interview in The Advocate (or maybe Out) like 6 months ago. Does EW just recycle old interviews? Odd.

(Not that I'm complaining.... it's a great interview and the show is awesome. Just thought it was strange they used a recycled story).

Posted by: k | Sep 7, 2007 8:32:09 AM