Bill Donohue | Catholic Church | Kathy Griffin | News | Reality TV | Religion | Television

Kathy Griffin Wins Emmy, Gets Censored for Jesus Remark

The TV Academy and E! announced today that they would not air remarks made by comedian Kathy Griffin upon her acceptance of an Emmy for Best Reality Program.

KathygriffinGriffin's remarks were classic Griffin:

"A lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this award. I want you to know that no one had less to do with this award than Jesus...Suck it, Jesus. This award is my God now."

Following the remark, Catholic League President Bill Donohue called on the TV academy to "denounce Griffin's obscene and blasphemous comment" which he then thanked them for doing.

He still demands Griffin apologize: "The Academy of Television Arts & Sciences reacted responsibly to our criticism of Kathy Griffin’s verbal assault on 85 percent of the U.S. population. The ball is now in Griffin’s court. The self-described ‘complete militant atheist’ needs to make a swift and unequivocal apology to Christians. If she does, she will get this issue behind her. If she does not, she will be remembered as a foul-mouthed bigot for the rest of her life."

Congrats to Griffin on the well-deserved win.

You may have missed...
Kathy Griffin on Her Love Affair with Gay Men [tr]
Towleroad Guide to the Tube #139 [tr]
Towleroad Guide to the Tube #121 [tr]
Kathy Griffin on the "N" and "F" Words [tr]

Comments

1. Imagine Bill Donohue's deathbed disappointment, when he discovers that Kathy Griffin is indeed God. (Congratulations, Kathy! The gays love you!)

Posted by: Justin | Sep 11, 2007 9:31:34 AM

2. Go, Kathy. I love, love, love her. Tell it like it is Kath.

Posted by: jeffrey | Sep 11, 2007 9:32:30 AM

3. Can someone please explain to me how not believing in Jesus makes one a bigot? And isn't she Jewish anyway?

Posted by: Chesnut | Sep 11, 2007 9:34:21 AM

4. Kathy if you're reading this (and something tells me you are) tell Bill Donohue to come out already before he falls in love with an undercover cop in a Tearoom -- as we all know he will.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Sep 11, 2007 9:43:12 AM

5. Don't you realize if you don't allow them to control every aspect of your life that you are denying them their religious freedoms?

Hurray Kathy!

Posted by: Robguy | Sep 11, 2007 9:43:56 AM

6. she's irish catholic. and the day she apologizes to those kid-fuckers is the day she loses her balls. aint gonna happen.

Posted by: b mac | Sep 11, 2007 9:47:00 AM

7. Yay, honey! Time to get that useless mythology out of our faces & down the crapper where it belongs.

Posted by: Chopsie | Sep 11, 2007 9:47:53 AM

8. I love how quick they are to call someone else a bigot

Posted by: gabriel | Sep 11, 2007 9:53:55 AM

9. Bill Donahue is a big mouth blowhard, self-appointed expert on nothing and an enormous bullsh** artist. I don't think anyone who listens to his fat mouth will be coming to any Kathy Griffin shows anytime soon.

Kathy's joke was a spot-on send up of celebrity worship, awards shows, and religious hypocrisy. Love her, love her, love her.

Posted by: sam | Sep 11, 2007 9:55:34 AM

10. Right on Kathy!

Posted by: Kris | Sep 11, 2007 9:58:51 AM

11. In accepting this opportunity to post I'd like to thank God, in particular the Greek one I had last night.
    I thank you.

Posted by: Stewart | Sep 11, 2007 10:04:28 AM

12. Oh Bill....please find the nearest rope, and piss up it.

Amen

Posted by: candipearl | Sep 11, 2007 10:06:26 AM

13. 1. LMAO at Stewart.

2. Has Bill never watched her show? Or seen her stand up? Does he even know who she is? She won the Emmy for doing exactly what she did at the awards show. Plus, only fags and my mother care about who wins an Emmy.

Posted by: BD | Sep 11, 2007 10:07:00 AM

14. Now wait a second... 10 comments and no one's mentioned the fact that E! gave in to the fundies and is censoring her remarks. That's outrageous!

I'm offended every time somebody thanks their god, but I don't raise a stink about it. Why should she not be allowed to speak her beliefs?

Posted by: crispy | Sep 11, 2007 10:07:56 AM

15. Fuck you Bill Donohue! Congrats Kathy!

Posted by: shane | Sep 11, 2007 10:08:26 AM

16. The Catholic League LIVES for this kind of publicity, but so does Kathy, so even though I spit on the real bigot Bill Donohue and wish he'd go back to the 13th Century where he belongs, my heart is warmed that he is helping our girl so much.

Posted by: Theo | Sep 11, 2007 10:09:48 AM

17. Crispy, don't forget that E! fired Kathy Griffin from the red carpet a few years ago. There's no love lost between the network and Griffin.

Posted by: Mike | Sep 11, 2007 10:10:59 AM

18. Congrats, Kathy and right on. Piss on the christers. They're the ones who should be apologizing. Apologizing to us for fucking the world up with their bullshit and making reparations to the millions of people they have killed, maimed, molested, and just made plain miserable in the name of their religious crap. Fuck'em all.

Posted by: the queen | Sep 11, 2007 10:11:44 AM

19. The Academy of Television Arts & Sciences should be blasted with emails denouncing their censorship.

I love how this guy wants her to apologize. It seems that everyone who feels offended wants an apology, yet it doesn't seem to matter if the apology is sincere or not, it just has to be obligatory so they can feel they have some kind of power.

Posted by: Patrick | Sep 11, 2007 10:14:13 AM

20. Kathy ROCKS!

Congrats!

Does that make her B or C List now?

Posted by: Zeke | Sep 11, 2007 10:18:40 AM

21. Soooo not surprising that they censored this. I mean, it is pretty freakin offensive. I LOVE it! But there's no denying it's offensive.

Posted by: Gregg | Sep 11, 2007 10:18:55 AM

22. If Sarah Silverman isn't censored, then Kathy Griffin shouldn't be.

My basic rule for people like Bill Donohue is to do exactly the opposite of whatever shrill demands they express. The South Park guys had it right when they parodied him on their show a while back. He's a total douche.

J'adore Kathy. Congratulations, honey.

Posted by: Brian | Sep 11, 2007 10:23:24 AM

23. So Catholics can suck little boys, but when Kathy tells Jesus he can suck it, all of the sudden that's not acceptable?

Posted by: Peter Eater | Sep 11, 2007 10:26:28 AM

24. Oh, and as for the "suck it Jesus" comment; it's no big secret here that I'm a Christian but I think her acceptance speech is just about the funniest thing I've EVER heard.

Bill Donahue is the nastiest most hateful person I think I've ever had the displeasure of seeing. He needs to get a life and uptight Christians need to get a sense of humor.

She didn't attack Christians. She didn't attack people (as Christians like to do). She joked about a person who may or may not have existed, who may or may not have been divine and who many people could care less either way.

Jesus H. Christ, get over yourselves.

Oops, I guess I can expect a call from Miss Donahue, now.

I'm soooooo skeeeeeert!

Posted by: Zeke | Sep 11, 2007 10:26:53 AM

25. Congrats Kathy! Keep up the good work and saying whatever the hell you want.

Posted by: Ryan | Sep 11, 2007 10:31:23 AM