Kathy Griffin Wins Emmy, Gets Censored for Jesus Remark

The TV Academy and E! announced today that they would not air remarks made by comedian Kathy Griffin upon her acceptance of an Emmy for Best Reality Program.

KathygriffinGriffin’s remarks were classic Griffin:

“A lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this award. I want you to know that no one had less to do with this award than Jesus…Suck it, Jesus. This award is my God now.”

Following the remark, Catholic League President Bill Donohue called on the TV academy to “denounce Griffin’s obscene and blasphemous comment” which he then thanked them for doing.

He still demands Griffin apologize: “The Academy of Television Arts & Sciences reacted responsibly to our criticism of Kathy Griffin’s verbal assault on 85 percent of the U.S. population. The ball is now in Griffin’s court. The self-described ‘complete militant atheist’ needs to make a swift and unequivocal apology to Christians. If she does, she will get this issue behind her. If she does not, she will be remembered as a foul-mouthed bigot for the rest of her life.”

Congrats to Griffin on the well-deserved win.

You may have missed…
Kathy Griffin on Her Love Affair with Gay Men [tr]
Towleroad Guide to the Tube #139 [tr]
Towleroad Guide to the Tube #121 [tr]
Kathy Griffin on the “N” and “F” Words [tr]

Comments

1. Justin says

Imagine Bill Donohue’s deathbed disappointment, when he discovers that Kathy Griffin is indeed God. (Congratulations, Kathy! The gays love you!)

2. Chesnut says

Can someone please explain to me how not believing in Jesus makes one a bigot? And isn’t she Jewish anyway?

3. says

Kathy if you’re reading this (and something tells me you are) tell Bill Donohue to come out already before he falls in love with an undercover cop in a Tearoom — as we all know he will.

4. says

Don’t you realize if you don’t allow them to control every aspect of your life that you are denying them their religious freedoms?

Hurray Kathy!

5. b mac says

she’s irish catholic. and the day she apologizes to those kid-fuckers is the day she loses her balls. aint gonna happen.

6. Chopsie says

Yay, honey! Time to get that useless mythology out of our faces & down the crapper where it belongs.

7. says

Bill Donahue is a big mouth blowhard, self-appointed expert on nothing and an enormous bullsh** artist. I don’t think anyone who listens to his fat mouth will be coming to any Kathy Griffin shows anytime soon.

Kathy’s joke was a spot-on send up of celebrity worship, awards shows, and religious hypocrisy. Love her, love her, love her.

8. Stewart says

In accepting this opportunity to post I’d like to thank God, in particular the Greek one I had last night.
    I thank you.

9. BD says

1. LMAO at Stewart.

2. Has Bill never watched her show? Or seen her stand up? Does he even know who she is? She won the Emmy for doing exactly what she did at the awards show. Plus, only fags and my mother care about who wins an Emmy.

10. crispy says

Now wait a second… 10 comments and no one’s mentioned the fact that E! gave in to the fundies and is censoring her remarks. That’s outrageous!

I’m offended every time somebody thanks their god, but I don’t raise a stink about it. Why should she not be allowed to speak her beliefs?

11. Theo says

The Catholic League LIVES for this kind of publicity, but so does Kathy, so even though I spit on the real bigot Bill Donohue and wish he’d go back to the 13th Century where he belongs, my heart is warmed that he is helping our girl so much.

12. Mike says

Crispy, don’t forget that E! fired Kathy Griffin from the red carpet a few years ago. There’s no love lost between the network and Griffin.

13. the queen says

Congrats, Kathy and right on. Piss on the christers. They’re the ones who should be apologizing. Apologizing to us for fucking the world up with their bullshit and making reparations to the millions of people they have killed, maimed, molested, and just made plain miserable in the name of their religious crap. Fuck’em all.

14. says

The Academy of Television Arts & Sciences should be blasted with emails denouncing their censorship.

I love how this guy wants her to apologize. It seems that everyone who feels offended wants an apology, yet it doesn’t seem to matter if the apology is sincere or not, it just has to be obligatory so they can feel they have some kind of power.

15. Gregg says

Soooo not surprising that they censored this. I mean, it is pretty freakin offensive. I LOVE it! But there’s no denying it’s offensive.

16. Brian says

If Sarah Silverman isn’t censored, then Kathy Griffin shouldn’t be.

My basic rule for people like Bill Donohue is to do exactly the opposite of whatever shrill demands they express. The South Park guys had it right when they parodied him on their show a while back. He’s a total douche.

J’adore Kathy. Congratulations, honey.

17. Peter Eater says

So Catholics can suck little boys, but when Kathy tells Jesus he can suck it, all of the sudden that’s not acceptable?

18. Zeke says

Oh, and as for the “suck it Jesus” comment; it’s no big secret here that I’m a Christian but I think her acceptance speech is just about the funniest thing I’ve EVER heard.

Bill Donahue is the nastiest most hateful person I think I’ve ever had the displeasure of seeing. He needs to get a life and uptight Christians need to get a sense of humor.

She didn’t attack Christians. She didn’t attack people (as Christians like to do). She joked about a person who may or may not have existed, who may or may not have been divine and who many people could care less either way.

Jesus H. Christ, get over yourselves.

Oops, I guess I can expect a call from Miss Donahue, now.

I’m soooooo skeeeeeert!

19. says

You’d think Christians would be more offended by all the celebrities at these award shows who insincerely thank God or Jesus at the podium but obviously don’t mean it. You know, taking the Lord’s name in vain and all that. Oh yeah, I forgot: hypocritical, opportunistic faux-outrage is Bill Donohue’s stock in trade.

20. vinny says

THANK YOU KATHY for saying what the other 15% have been itching to say aloud in public. The real bigots and liars reside within the church! the Poop can piss off

21. howard says

The interesting thing about being a bigot is that as soon as you accuse someone of being one, you are one. The Catholic church
    has an official policy of exclusion and intolerance (bigotry) which Kathy has pointed out many times in her stand up and TV show. This comment is not news. (Yawn.)

Congrats from one bigot to another!

22. Stephen says

Griffin: “A lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this award.”

But, she’s a filthy individual who’s misguided in humanism.

23. Dean says

I am glad E! and The Academy have decided to censor her. She has a right to say whatever she wants, as wrong as it is, but the networks and The Academy have a right to show their lack of support for those comments. Good for them!

24. hoya86 says

I’ve always found it terribly curious that those “dead certain” chrisitans are so easily offended or hurt by the comments of “non-believers”. If you know you’re right, what do you care about what others say and do? Is their belief so shallow and fragile that the slightest diversity of thought or opinion is considered tantamount to a nuclear strike?
    these people are simply ridiculous and E! ought to be ashamed for giving these wing-nuts power of any sort.

25. ATLSteve says

This is funny, but not quite as funny as her telling Ty P. and the Home Makeover folks to suck her dick after she lost to them last year.

She’s a hoot. Her detractors are weak people anyway.

26. davitydave says

I believe E! was right to censor KG’s comments. I would do the same, too, if it would prevent me from being bombarded with flecks of angry spittle when screamy Bill Donahue got all up in my face.

27. davitydave says

28. davitydave says

29. Darron says

HOWARD: “Amazing that I could not find ONE – let alone a lot of people – amongst award winners in Hollywood who “thanked Jesus.””

Have you been cuddled up under a rock with Bill Donahue for the last hundred years?

30. anon (gmail.com) says

Her victory might have been a bit sweeter without the barbed comment, but Bill D. gave the South Park guys a pass, so he’s not really being consistent and it’s obvious she’s making fun of insincere beliefs more than anything else.

Very funny, Dave E.!

Kathy really went all out to win this year, rescuing innocent prostitutes from prison, asking her father to die for her career’s sake and invading Ireland. It must have been exhausting–but well worth the trouble now!

31. Stephen says

I agree that Catholics really aren’t Christian, but Griffin shouldn’t say those sort of things out loud.

32. db says

Kathy should realize that Jesus wanted her to win this Emmy (and all the other nominees to lose) so that she could say this.

And Stephen, I’m glad she said it out loud and I hope she keeps saying it.

33. Stephen says

Instead of mocking Jesus Kathy and the homosexuals who think she’s so funny need to get down on their knees and pray for forgiveness for their sins of pride and blasphemy.

Griffith is a perfect example of how you don’t have to be a homosexual to be an abomination before God.

34. Ian says

I have no problem with her comments. People make a choice about their religion, and can change it at any time. Christian or Muslim? Burger King or McDonald’s? It’s all a simple choice, and if you get offended or have a problem with other people who haven’t chosen your alternative Christian lifestyle, then don’t be one!!! People choose to change their religious beliefs all the time, and they shouldn’t deserve special rights because of their blind faith. In fact, it’s definitely time to change the laws so that employers aren’t forced to hire people who make a choice to live an alternative Christian lifestyle and try to push it off on the rest of us.

35. Gitai says

Go, Kathy! Anything that pisses off Bill Donohue is a good thing. I just wish I had the money to see one of your three sold out shows here in Seattle.

36. sean says

can’t Marlo Thomas do anything to shut her hubby’s trap up?! how ’bout stuffing his mouth full of communion wafers?

37. says

it’s offensive and inappropriate when award show winners thank god (or jesus) …they should save it for the car-ride home.
    it’s kinda like praying to god to win Big Brother.

38. Joe says

You GO girl! Love her, love her show even more. And Sean, Marlo is married to PHIL Donahue not BILL Donahue!

39. Breck says

I completely agree with the following:

1. Kathy deserved that Emmy and many more to come.

2. Bill is a f*cking idiot blowhard who needs to shut up.

3. The comment was over-the-top and absolutely offensive (to me) and funny to others, especially those who are fans familiar with her style. There is never anything that offends everyone, but we should be sensitive to that which is likely to offend or disrespect, within reason.

Kathy is funny and I like her a lot, and I’ll still watch her show, because I neither judge nor overreact when someone (in personal or public life) offends me, but yeah, as a gay Christian it offended me…because she wasn’t just disrespecting the beliefs of conservative asses like Bill or hypocritical celebs who push their faith on all of us, she’s instead, by going as broad as she did, disrespecting something very personal and special to lots of people who aren’t bigots, hypocrites, or conservative jerks.

40. Billy H. says

Emmy was totally deserved and long overdue! But I’m not upset about the choice to cut it from the broadcast. A lot of the problem was venue and context. * The joke was totally appropriate for her show or stand-up or even “Best Week Ever”, but a formal industry celebration of achievement is NOT about one person and all the nominees and winners should be afforded an amazing night. * With her comment, she likely insulted many of her fellow nominees, which mars their evening some, and since, unlike her show or her stand-up, this night was not about her, but no one will remember anything else now about it and it became the thrust of all coverage, not the winners, which is kind of in poor taste. * I think context for these things matters a lot, so if they want to cut it from the broadcast, it is no big deal to me.

41. Lucky says

I agree that her target was evangelicals, the “Christian” right, and platitude-spewing hypocrite celebs, but her comment didn’t mock them (and they deserve to slammed) or even religion, it mocked Jesus, who even if you don’t view him as God, was a tremendously good person who has inspired tremendously good things.

Most people who believe in Jesus as God (or prophet, as Jews and Muslims do) aren’t the people she intended to mock.

Compared to the billion+ Christians out there, they are a small minority of Christians who won’t shut the f*ck up. Kathy should have demeaned THEM, not Jesus or people who believe in him in general.

42. says

Um, maybe it’s just me, but I thought she was attacking the nitwits in Hollywood and sports who truly believe, or at least want us to believe they truly believe, that God gives a rat’s ass about them winning a shiny statue. Skewering celebrity pretension: it’s kinda her act.

Anyway, congrats Kathy!

43. lou says

HOW IS SHE BIGOTED? For fuck’s sake, alls he said “god had nothing to do wit this.”

It’s almost as if we’re controlled by a christian Taliban.

44. Dean says

Dear Mr. Donohue,
    I think you SHOULD demand an apology from Ms. Griffin. Please, feel free to hold your breath while you wait for it.

Love and kisses,
    Dean*

P.S. Congratulations Kathy!

*no connection to the “Dean” that of a previous post.

45. DB says

Her target was certainly not evangelicals or even the Catholics, it is the people who get up at awards shows and thank God for choosing them to win over all the other people (as though God, if there was one, cared about whether Kanye West won a music video award) or the people in sports who point up when they make a touch down because God obviously wanted them to win this football game. I think her comment is great. It says that she won this award not that God wanted her to win.