Advertising | News | Nightlife | Religion | San Francisco

Miller Pulls Logo from Folsom Ad Over "Last Supper" Parody

Fsf

Pressured by right-wing religious groups like the Concerned Women for America who object to the parody of Leonardo da Vinci's "Last Supper" in the Folsom Street Fair's promotional materials, the event's primary sponsor, Miller Brewing, has asked Fair organizers to remove its logo from all promotional materials.

Miller released the following statement: "While Miller has supported the Folsom Street Fair for several years, we take exception to the poster the organizing committee developed this year. We understand some individuals may find the imagery offensive and we have asked the organizers to remove our logo from the poster effective immediately."

A representative from Miller told the Bay Area Reporter that they were not withdrawing their sponsorship, however: "We are and will continue to be supportive [of Folsom Street Fair and the LGBT community]."

Joe.My.God posts a statement from Folsom board of directors president Andy Copper: "There was no intention to be particularly pro-religion or anti-religion with this poster; the image is intended only to be reminiscent of the 'Last Supper' painting. We hope that people will enjoy the artistry for what it is - nothing more or less. Many people choose to speculate on deeper meanings. The irony is that da Vinci was widely considered to be homosexual. In truth, we are going to produce a series of inspired poster images over the next few years," Copper said. "Next year's poster ad may take inspiration from 'American Gothic' by Grant Wood or Edvard Munch's 'The Scream' or even 'The Sound of Music! I guess it wouldn't be the Folsom Street Fair without offending some extreme members of the global community, though."

And Dan Savage over at SLOG has been collecting other parodies of "The Last Supper".

Recently
CWA Not Happy with "Last Supper" Ad for SF Folsom Street Fair [tr]

Comments

1. If Miller "caved in" to pressure from groups, they would have dropped their sponsorship completely. Instead, they went to the closet with it...which is even more shameful. Get the facts straight, please.

I still think the ad is disgusting.

Posted by: DEAN | Sep 27, 2007 9:08:50 AM

2. You could see this one coming from a mile away. Someone at Miller's advertising agency is in BIG trouble today. I can't say I blame Miller though. The poster is sophomoric and silly.

And please, the statement from FSF is so disingenuous it's laughable. I don't believe for a second that the image wasn't meant to be provocative and controversial. But even if the intent was purely to mimic the original, anyone with a brain cell could see that it couldn't possibly be received without controversy and implications of an attitude of disrespect towards people who hold the people and event the original mural depicts as sacred.

Uh, maybe my intent wasn't to burn my hand when I picked up a hot pan off the stove without a potholder, but I can't honestly claim I was surprised or unfairly done by the result.

Posted by: HermesDC | Sep 27, 2007 9:15:53 AM

3. a reprint is not only costly, but this late in the game isn't the Miller request futile? just wondering how days before the event the Miller logo can be removed from the posters... scissors?
    perhaps duct-tape might be more appropriate.

Posted by: A.J | Sep 27, 2007 9:31:32 AM

4. the Folsom St. Fair organizing committee needs a new art director - jeeze, parodying the Last Supper? It's both a vapid lack of creative vision that was played out in the National Lampoon '70's AND guaranteed to stir up idiots like the Concerned Women for America... it's akin to dropping a turd in a punch bowl - it was never really all that funny to begin with, gives idiots something to be 'outraged' about and spoils the party for everyone. Maroons.

Posted by: ExGrifter | Sep 27, 2007 9:33:54 AM

5. the Folsom St. Fair organizing committee needs a new art director - jeeze, parodying the Last Supper? It's both a vapid lack of creative vision that was played out in the National Lampoon '70's AND guaranteed to stir up idiots like the Concerned Women for America... it's akin to dropping a turd in a punch bowl - it was never really all that funny to begin with, gives idiots something to be 'outraged' about and spoils the party for everyone. Maroons.

Posted by: ExGrifter | Sep 27, 2007 9:35:44 AM

6. Why was Miller sponsoring the Folsom Street Fair to start with? Given that the entire point of the fair is to be provocative and confrontational, Miller is only asking for trouble by paying to have their name there. Duh. Secondly, and maybe more important though, should the fair have corporate sponsors like this at all? How can the thing be underground and counter-cultural if it's designed to appeal to mainstream corporations.

Posted by: DaveB | Sep 27, 2007 9:40:06 AM

7. The only people offended by this would be people who think sex is dirty and that the leather/SM community (both gay and straight) is somehow shameful.

Such attitudes say more about the people who take offense than the makers of the poster.

I think it's a great artsy poster - so much so that I have it saved on my computer so that I get it as a random background on some days - along with the groping parisien rugby players.

Posted by: beergoggles | Sep 27, 2007 9:41:32 AM

8. It's Morons...

I think Miller's stance is fine, though I'm sure they had approval over the use of their logo on the poster in the first place. I have always found them to be very supportive and very present in gay events and in gay media. In fact, if I am going to drink cheap swill, I always choose Miller Lite.

Folsom's point that Da Vinci "was widely considered to be homosexual" is ludicrous. I don't think the council of bigot women were objecting to the use of a painting by Da Vinci, but one depicting Jesus Christ, who I am sure they do not believe to have been widely considered homosexual.

Posted by: Dan B | Sep 27, 2007 9:44:08 AM

9. Miller or Budweiser are sponsors of all the major gay events in San Francisco. Most times, their input is a few thousand dollars - an investment for which they get 10's of thousands of dollars in free advertising. In fact, one of the requirements for receiving the money is that their logo will be displayed on ALL advertising.

Since the fair is in 3 days, legally, they'd have to pay the expense of replacing all the advertising they find "offensive", since the poster is in compliance with their original contract. No matter the content of the Folsom ad, the law doesn't allow unilateral renegotiation of the terms of a contract once it's been signed.

Posted by: Joshua Norton | Sep 27, 2007 10:08:55 AM

10. Disgusting? Really?

I find it more disgusting that these so-called Christians are getting their cockles in a bunch over something like this.

I mean, for one - how dare they show any non-Anglos in that picture! Everybody knows Jesus was as white as a Christmas morning snow.

Posted by: Rey | Sep 27, 2007 10:21:40 AM

11. I'm not sure who's more at risk of divine retribution - Miller, or the 'christian' idolaters who have sinfully deified a copy of a work of art painted on a former horse stable wall.

Posted by: Norman Main | Sep 27, 2007 10:25:27 AM

12. DAN B:
    actually it's Maroons... any fan of Bugs Bunny knows that much.
    secondly, not only was jesus a homo, he was also black, and obese.

Posted by: A.J | Sep 27, 2007 10:29:08 AM

13. Since when do the Confounded Witless of Amerikkka drink Miller Lite anyway? They're really pissed (hahaha) because Jeebus is being portrayed by a black man. *GASP!*

Miller Lite IS cheap swill. I'm sure it goes well with watersports.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Sep 27, 2007 10:29:32 AM

14. Dammit! Rey, ya beat me to it...and A.J. LMAO.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Sep 27, 2007 10:31:56 AM

15. "Since when do the Confounded Witless of Amerikkka drink Miller Lite anyway?"

When it's on sale at Walmart, usually. Hubby needs a cheap brewski while sprawled out in his La-Z-Boy, waving a flag at Fox Noise.

Posted by: Joshua Norton | Sep 27, 2007 10:41:24 AM

16. Once again we have self-absorbed religious fanatics thinking that they hold a patent on an idea.

Posted by: Brandon | Sep 27, 2007 10:46:27 AM

17. LOL @ Rey...

and Mary (aka Miriam) looked just like Liv Ullmann.

Imbessles

Posted by: Myackie | Sep 27, 2007 10:59:52 AM

18. The CWA have done a great job of spreading this picture all over the web.

Posted by: John C | Sep 27, 2007 12:21:15 PM

19. The idea was brilliant, this "controversy" was the best publicity stunt ever.

Posted by: JLS | Sep 27, 2007 1:18:23 PM

20. "Offending extreme members of the global community"? Sorry but I'm not as "extreme" as a bunch of sick whore's pissing into each others diseased mouths in the streets. Don't call me a self hating fag either. I'm certainly no prude but I'm not going to be the one getting AIDS or some other STD while being fucked in the street.

Posted by: Bud | Sep 27, 2007 1:27:51 PM

21. I'm the guy that won the poster contest for this years (2007) Folsom Event. I did not design The Last Supper poster, but the one that they held a contest for. I won the judges vote as well as the popular vote yet they decided to not use it for the event. I felt my poster was unifying and spoke to everyone. It pissed me off that they didn't use it...and now they have are having so many problems with "The Last Supper". I don't necessarily have a problem with the poster and its use of such erotic material or even the fact it is a parody of The Last Supper. But what does it accomplish? For an event like Folsom, wouldn't it be better to reach out to the community and unify ourselves in some way? I don't think this poster achieved anything other than being shocking, which serves none of us. Folsom President Andy Cooper says that the posters for upcoming Folsom Events are going to be parody other works of art. Why? Again, why not be inspiring and intelligent...instead of shocking and unproductive. And the whole idea of parodying something lacks imagination. Yeah, I’m scorned and possibly a sore loser (winner). But a lot of people voted for me and I feel like the Folsom board just ignored that. Lastly, good job on the photography to FredAlert...I don’t dislike your work.

Here is a link to see my poster.

It's FREEDOM by Patrick Brewer

Posted by: Mike Brewer | Sep 27, 2007 2:08:15 PM

22. Mike/Patrick: Comparing photos it's pretty obvious why they choose to ignore your winning poster--it lacked the "diversity" that the committee was looking for (think PC)--no women or minorities and no sense of community. And too many words. If you've ever spent any time on a committee you know that words are the hardest things to agree on, so the fewer the better. Committees are for masochists only. Sorry for your "loss".

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Sep 27, 2007 2:32:30 PM

23. Patrick/Mike,
    Congrats on your win and, yes, they should have used your poster that won rather than the crap they chose to replace it with. Good work.

Posted by: DEAN | Sep 27, 2007 3:23:33 PM

24. Miller Beer sponsors the festival because what they sell, the beer, an alcholic beverage gets you drunked up in the streets and into the party mode. Then they pull their logo from a picture based on a renaissance painting in order to appease a religious group.
    So them acting all good, moral christian soldier is f*cking hilarious. The irony is in your face on this one guys and I don't think you all get it.

Posted by: Vi Agara | Sep 27, 2007 3:59:12 PM

25. this is absolutely disgusting, homosexuals have (rightly) asked not to be made the subject of attack or ridicule by the church. for someone who is gay to turn around and attack the church in such a purile manner is demeaning and offensive to both gays and christians. have some respect for others' beliefs.

Posted by: Adam Vanderlip | Sep 27, 2007 4:39:43 PM