France | Frederic Michalak | Grooming | News | Rugby | Sportrait | Sports

Sportrait: Frederic Michalak

Michalak

French rugby "god" Frederic Michalak stepped on to the field at the group D Rugby World Cup match between France and Namibia in Toulouse sporting a new pattern on his head.

Michaloak3

Michalak, a veteran of the Dieux du Stade rugby calendars, has in the past been better known for the pretty designs on his thighs.

Michalak2

You may have missed...
The Glory of Frederic Michalak [tr]
Tricks and Treats [tr]
Sportrait: Tom Brady [tr]
Sportrait: Novak Djokovic [tr]
Sportrait: Jon Jansen and Casey Rabach [tr]
Sportrait: Brazilian Water Polo Team [tr]

Comments

1. He's cute, but whenever I see a white guy trying to rock this type of ethnic style (similar to white chicks with braids) I can't help but think he's prolly really corny and wants to look cool. Sometimes you shouldn't try so hard.

Posted by: Cornball | Sep 17, 2007 6:11:13 PM

2. I think he looks mighty hot with that cut! When its done right, any hair texture can work out other groups style, and his looks great.

Posted by: Juan Pablo | Sep 17, 2007 6:16:52 PM

3. It looks like someone went in for a touch up and forgot the blade-guard and did the best they could to make it "Not Noticable" by carving up the rest of this guys head.

Posted by: Gavin Elster | Sep 17, 2007 6:17:15 PM

4. hmm, i have designs on his thighs, too. *ahem*

Posted by: basisr4insanity | Sep 17, 2007 6:27:26 PM

5. RED CARD

Posted by: Gary | Sep 17, 2007 7:36:27 PM

6. Balck men, especially the athletes have been sporting patterned hair styles for years and it's no big deal. The second a white man does it, it's the hottest fucking thing and deserves news coverage. It's the Bo Derek Syndrome all over again. Total bullshit.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Sep 17, 2007 8:02:15 PM

7. *Black

Posted by: soulbrotha | Sep 17, 2007 8:04:06 PM

8. LOL, right on Soul Brotha. Without the cut and those tats he'd be just another corny white dude.

but I'd still tap that ass first.

Posted by: Hit It and Run | Sep 17, 2007 8:09:44 PM

9. ICK! I think I just threw up a little in my mouth....

Posted by: The Watch Dog | Sep 17, 2007 8:43:38 PM

10. Bitch stole my purse.

Posted by: Matilda | Sep 17, 2007 9:32:28 PM

11. And the racial bitching in 3....2...

Oh! It already started! Wow commenters never disappoint!

Posted by: Toto | Sep 17, 2007 9:38:26 PM

12. What a handsome guy. What a ridiculous haircut.

Posted by: Richard | Sep 17, 2007 10:43:45 PM

13. Toto, call it what you want. Facts is facts.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Sep 18, 2007 12:06:10 AM

14. What an absolutely ridiculous haircut.

Posted by: peterparker | Sep 18, 2007 12:20:25 AM

15. I said a LITTLE of the top LITTLE. Don't cry Fred baby it will grow back and the rest of you is handsome.

Posted by: SJ | Sep 18, 2007 12:48:20 AM

16. soulbrotha,

i guess it's a matter of perspective (or perception). i don't read where anyone claims his haircut is hot. the emphasis is on the man's beauty. can't we leave the racial aspects out of this?

Posted by: nic | Sep 18, 2007 6:26:30 AM

17. Nic, I guess it it is a matter of perception/perspective. But media in general is biased/racist, so you can't leave out aspects that already exist. And the fact remains that there are "beautiful" Black athletes that have worn far more innovative hairstyles than this rugby "god" and have received no attention for it. So regardless of your personal perception, it is what it is.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Sep 18, 2007 2:38:41 PM

18. soulbrotha,

it is what it is for you. you are putting too much store on the haircut aspect. don't project.

Posted by: nic | Sep 18, 2007 11:44:45 PM

19. Nic, you may think I'm putting too much on the haircut, while others (like Hit It & Run) may not think so. Don't project.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Sep 19, 2007 1:32:38 AM

20. With or without the haircut,he's gorgeous. As for the haircut, CORNBALL, how in the heavens can you figure that he's "trying hard"? So cornrows belong to black people only since when? Color me idiot, but I just don't get people's fascination with race. The guy is gorgeous but because he's not sporting blond highlights, he looks "ridiculous"? Djibril
    Cissé had blond highlights for the longest time and he looked fine and I doubt that anyone thought it was ridiculous. Just let him be. SOULBROTHA I agree with you on a lot of things, especially when it's about racism, but you're off on this one in my opinion. Andy is white (right?)and he happens to think Michalak looks like a "god", so cut him some slack, okay? Les gouts et les couleurs, my brotha, les gouts et les couleurs!

Posted by: Shabaka | Sep 19, 2007 11:43:18 AM

21. Shabaka, what are you talking about? The post itself has the word god in quotes. So somehow I don't think Andy thinks he is a god. I think it is more of an indication of his status in the sports world. So please cut ME some slack.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Sep 19, 2007 3:37:50 PM

22. SOULBROTHA, when you visit sites like hoodsworld, menofcolor.com,rodonline, etc some of which cover various topics ranging from politics to sports to plain ole nudity or all of the above, you don't get to see lots of white "gods"...All you see is ebony gods, brown gods and so on...In my opinion that's because they're run by people of color (or not) who happen to worship the beauty of colored men (and right they are, good lord). But Andy is entitled to his own taste and and that's white men(mostly, I think). That's why I thought you were harsh on him. The commentators on the other hand...

Posted by: Shabaka | Sep 19, 2007 4:46:55 PM

23. Shabaka , if you read my original comment, you will note that I did not mention anything about the "beauty" of this player. Nor did I question Andy's taste in men or his entitlement to post what he wants. So I don't see how you thought I was harsh on Andy. I merely commented on differences in media coverage of the races, using this report as an example. Everybody else took that and ran in different directions.
    As for the sites that you mention, most of them are race-specific, as implied by their names. I never got the impression that Towleroad was race-specific and I'm sure that Andy would agree with that assessment. So that is not a fair comparison. But again, it has nothing to do with my point.
    (And by the way "Men of Color" is run by a white dude. Shh.)

Posted by: soulbrotha | Sep 20, 2007 1:34:38 AM

24. Well...If u say so,SOULBROTHA. I can only read what you posted and you said it was "total b.s" and "no big deal" that Frédérick got so much coverage. So since you posted it here, one can only assume it was directed towards Towleroad. So forgive me for misreading your post. I actually didn't know that menofcolor was run by a white man. Not surprised though. As for hoodsworld and rodonline, they DO feature white dudes on occasion...As long as they're hood enough for the former and model like for the latter.
    One love.

Posted by: Shabaka | Sep 20, 2007 11:22:15 AM

25. SHABAKA, of course my point was directed at Towleroad. The story was posted here and it is part of the general media.

"I can only read what you posted and you said it was "total b.s" and "no big deal" that Frédérick got so much coverage."

Well clearly you are NOT reading what I posted, because that is not quite what I said. And again, since those other sites are race-specific, it has no bearing on this discussion.
    But that's alright. I'm sure this discussion will reappear many times on Towleroad and maybe then my points will be correctly understood. Until then, peace.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Sep 20, 2007 12:40:48 PM