Bob Dylan | Heath Ledger | News | Rudy Giuliani | Todd Haynes | Towleroad Guide to the Tube

Towleroad Guide to the Tube #176

PATTI LABELLE: Goes off on fan at concert.

THE FONZ: Yesterday, was the 30th anniversary of the moment when Happy Days officially "jumped the shark."

TOM VILSACK: Former Iowa governor rips Giuliani's marriage record.

I'M NOT THERE: A report from Venice on the Todd Haynes Bob Dylan film we posted about here.

Check out our previous guides to the Tube here!

Comments

1. Somebody got LEARNED! WHoooo! There have been times when people have said things that were inappropriate, and there have been times when people have said things that I have taken wrongly and out of context while experiencing a day with a short fuse, but I have NEVER ever seen someone handle a situation as well as Miss Patti LaBelle did in that clip. Can Paris and Perez get some couch time with Miss Patti? And while she's at it, maybe she can shame some GW into some I'm sorry too's.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Sep 21, 2007 1:26:56 PM

2. Oooh, and I forgot to ask for one more thing. Can she please SMACK CHRIS CROCKER UPSIDE HIS HEAD? pleeeeeease.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Sep 21, 2007 1:34:39 PM

3. Oh, please. Patti LaBelle is nuts. I think she was the more disrespectful party in that incident. She's singing a song with a chorus that roughly translates to "Would you like to sleep with me tonight?" and the guy made a joking comment. She should have had more class than to shame him publicly like that.

Posted by: Dave | Sep 21, 2007 1:41:53 PM

4. Yeah, I agree with Dave. Patti could have handled that in any number of ways that would not have embarrassed herself or the fan but instead, chose to do both. Usually, I would say Patti is very classy, but in that incident, class deserted her...

Posted by: Michael W. | Sep 21, 2007 1:50:58 PM

5. "...she wanted it more than I did."

It may have been vanity more than her claim of being treated disrespectfully. Although, the young guy did seem a little cocky, you know, "smellin' his own pee."

There are two types of great divas: those that don't take themselves too seriously (Garbo, Louise Brooks, Ella Fitzgerald, Ava Gardner, Beverly Sills, etc), and those that go off into Norma Desmond/Baby Jane Hudson land (almost everybody else in show business).

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 21, 2007 1:55:31 PM

6. Thanks Fonz! I'd been wondering what to wear while water skiing this weekend, and had completely forgotten how fetching a hot pants/leather biker's jacket combo looks.

Posted by: Paul | Sep 21, 2007 2:46:13 PM

7. Maybe Miss Patti's blood sugar level was off. I was embarassed for her, even though she backtracked a bit.

Posted by: Malibu Boy | Sep 21, 2007 2:49:35 PM

8. Man, Patti is a bitch...that was just downright nasty. and please, don't try and hide it with your soft spoken oprah voice "oh, he didn't mean it?" ....Lady get off your high horse...you're singing a song about prostitutes. Get over it...it was a funny joke...and if you could have rolled with it, like a proper performer, you would have had an amazing crowd moment.

I thought she was going to....then when i saw that she was acting like she was reprimanding a three year old...it was all rather unappetizing.

sad day

Posted by: Bob-E | Sep 21, 2007 5:13:59 PM

9. Please, we saw Patti a few years ago at the Hollywood Bowl and she threw such a hissy fit cause they, the Bowl, did not comp all her peeps. She keep yelling for house lights so she could check the front rows, when she discovered they did not comp her friends she stood on stage for 30 minutes and would not sing, the band played and she just sat on her stool throwing a fit. We did not pay to listen to her back up singers. We walked out, as did many others, and demanded our money back. She is a diva to the extreme and frankly, we are very over her. She needs to get over herself too.

Posted by: Zephy | Sep 21, 2007 5:15:01 PM

10. You know, it just amazes how a performer, who has given her all in her concerts, does charity work, been gracious in so many other circumstances, and then has a bad day, is immediately pronounced to be a "bitch". Wow. Would Madonna, Britney, or Aretha even HAVE their fans onstage with them or sign autographs and take pictures when asked?
    Was it an overreaction? Yes. Was it bitch-y? Yes. But if you ever met Patti in person, actually SPOKEN with her, I doubt seriously that you would call her a bitch.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Sep 21, 2007 8:29:23 PM

11. I would if she talked to me like that :)

Posted by: bob-e | Sep 22, 2007 1:58:55 AM

12. I disagree with Patti. I mean,what was she insinuating by saying "I think he's coming too close to me"? Isn't this the same grounds to be offended? If she felt uncomfortable, she could have asserted her boundaries in a compassionate,unmalicious manner.

Posted by: john | Sep 22, 2007 3:21:14 AM

13. if SOULBROTHA were to get jury duty on the upcoming o.j. trial, you know bitch would walk again. black is never wrong; don't you get it. it is what it is.

Posted by: nic | Sep 22, 2007 9:10:23 AM

14. @Nic, Oh bitch please!
    (That better?)