Barack Obama | Democratic Party | Donnie McClurkin | Election 2008 | Hillary Clinton | News

"Ex-Gay" Reverend McClurkin Speaks Out on Obama Controversy

It does not appear that Barack Obama has any plans to drop "ex-gay" reverend Donnie McClurkin from his three-day South Carolina gospel tour, and McClurkin is speaking out about it.

McclurkinMcClurkin, with whom Obama connected, according to the Chicago Tribune, at the Oprah Winfrey fundraiser in California last month, told the paper that he's not anti-gay and he was surprised at the controversy that erupted around his inclusion.

Said McClurkin:

"I don't believe that even from a religious point of view that Jesus ever discriminated toward anyone, nor do I. Most of the things that were said were totally out of context and then other things weren't true. My only concern is to be in place with Sen. Obama in unity and bring all the factors together for the sake of change. That's my only thing. Of course some agents have twisted it as though he [Obama] were embracing a racist or a Nazi, and that is anything but true. I believe in his stance. I believe in his platform and his agenda. So when they asked me if I would be a part of it, there was no problem. We don't have to agree on everything, but we do have to agree on the main thing: that there needs to be change and I believe he is the candidate to bring it. There's never been a statement made by me about curing homosexuality. People are using that in order to incite anger and to twist my whole platform on it. There's no crusade for curing it or to convert everyone. This is just for those who come to me and ask for change."

The WaPo published a few of his quotes last Sunday.

ObamaYesterday, Wayne Besen, who heads up the Truth Wins Out organization dedicated to debunking myths about "ex-gays", called Obama's statement "inadequate and disappointing" and has called for Obama to dump McClurkin. The Human Rights Campaign has expressed "strong reservations" about the decision.

Paul Jenkins at the Huffington Post defended Obama, using Hillary Clinton's friendship with Harold Mayberry of the First African Methodist Church in Oakland as an example that many of the candidates cozy up to anti-gay religious folk. Said Jenkins: "her press release on the meeting/endorsement left out the fact that Mayberry believes homosexuality to be comparable to thievery."

Yesterday, Barack Obama released a statement on his involvement with McClurkin, but a campaign spokesman said he has no plans to drop McClurkin from the tour.

Recently
Barack Obama Releases Statement on Reverend McClurkin [tr]
Barack Obama to Tour with Anti-Gay Gospel Singer [tr]

Comments

1. McClurkin isn't anti-gay. He LOVES homosexuals. Its the act of homosexuality he hates. McClurkin just wants to heal homosexuals through the power of Jesus Christ. Why is that so hard for radical homosexual activists to understand?!?

(ugh)

Posted by: John | Oct 24, 2007 8:25:03 AM

2. Like I keep saying -- stick a fork in him.

When will we learn to stop treating the crumbs off the table (there was a book with that title, wasn't there?) as if they were a three-course meal? We are so galvanized by the self-hatred we're taught from childhood that anyone who so much as feigns liking us is treated like some sort of savior. Obama and Clinton are not our friends.

And far too many of US aren't our friends either.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Oct 24, 2007 8:53:43 AM

3. but a campaign spokesman said he has no plans to drop McClurkin from the tour.

And I now have no plans to vote for him.

Shame, as I was quite taken by him after his keynote 2004 address.

Posted by: MississippiTim | Oct 24, 2007 9:12:33 AM

4. David Ehrenstein is entirely correct. As long as we keep moving to the back of the bus that is where we are going to stay. Obama and Hillary are not going to hand us anything , we have to learn to take it!

Posted by: mike | Oct 24, 2007 9:51:45 AM

5. Folks, our community is on the edge of doing unto other as they are doing to you. There will be no victory with in that position.

Martin Luther King was the last profit given to the world. He used a stratigy used by two other profits named Jesus and Gandi. We cannot continune to fall for the ploy of the media in attacking everyone the media insists is our enemy. How was the KKK destroyed. Blacks and Whites ignored there marches and hate. How will Rush Limbaugh be destroyed. Easly, Ive never know an entertainer who any company would allow to entertain without and audience.

This is a capolist society held currently by a Rebublican Goverment who is a war abroad to drive up debt and starve the working class here at home. The Majority of people who profits from debt are the Republicans.

Anyone who understands history understands The Romans with a homosexual army concured all the known world at the time. No Rebublican wants to stop this war. Theres no money in winning a war. Now we know why they will not allow Gays and Lesbians serve. What would scare terroist the most. The body of a man with the thinking patterns of a woman. I surrender!

Personally i have worked many shows with Donnie Mc Clearkin. This was a total suprise to me. Even in sermons after shows ive never heard him make a derrogority statment of hate toward anyone. I deal with folks baseds on the sence of feeling i get in there presence and have worked on this sence all my life. It is a homosexual thing we have to have this ESP. It could be life or death to not know what is someones motive benieth the surface of their smile.

Belive me when i say Donnie Mc Clearkin is one of the good guys. Currently used by the media to attack the possiablity of a Black man as President.

Look for much effort in the comming year to devide the Black and Homosexual minorities. Who ever gets the majority of that minority will win the office of President.

The Rebublicans just fiered the first shot.
    but it will not have the impact they intended becouse they chose the wrong guy to make the scape goat. Please give your support to Mr Mc Clearkin and Mr Obama during this attack on our community. Were a stronger voice with compassion and understanding than the hate and disinformation that is used to attack us.

Thanks to the site for showing other links where Mr Mc Clerkin gets to clear all this dis information.

Many who dislike or hate us have said many things about us. But i have never heard anyone say were stupid.

Posted by: marty | Oct 24, 2007 10:07:19 AM

6. Marty, Obviously, those who have never accused "us" of being stupid have not read your comment. (I am refering to your lack of logic and ignoring the copius misspellings and grammatical errors.)

Posted by: rudy | Oct 24, 2007 10:20:15 AM

7. Rudy,

Your two sentence post contains a misspelling:
    "copious" is the correct spelling.

Posted by: anonymous | Oct 24, 2007 11:01:42 AM

8. Anon, (Why are the "idjits" always anonymous?) What is is about the word 'ignoring'--with the deliberate misspelling for emphasis--that you do not understand?

Posted by: rudy | Oct 24, 2007 11:44:02 AM

9. So Obama says:

"I strongly believe that African Americans and the LGBT community must stand together in the fight for equal rights. And so I strongly disagree with Reverend McClurkin’s views and will continue to fight for these rights as President of the United States to ensure that America is a country that spreads tolerance instead of division."

But he's not taking McCluckbrains off the tour? And Donnie (that's "ie", not "y", right? Does he dot his "i" with a smileyface too?) says

"'sexuality, everything is a matter of choice.' But on Tuesday he told the Tribune that his ideals, and most importantly his ministry, were severely misconstrued."

There's not much being misconstrued when you call homosexuality a "choice". Personally, I prefer Kinsey 4, but I don't see a future of Kinsey pride parades and apparently the world population as a majority is too pea-brained to get that concept and so, instead, is doomed to an imprecise labeling system.

I always have, and always will conclude that nobody has any business or right to tell me what I can and can't do in regard to CONSENSUAL sexual contact with another human being.

And Marty? Give me a fucking break. Martin Luther King Jr. was no more a (spell this with me) p r o p h e t than I am unless you'd like to use the definition of "a person regarded as, or claiming to be, an inspired teacher or leader" in which case, we can ALL be prophets.

Religion-based legislation is incompatible with reason-based logic and until that changes and we all live in Utopia and NPH can grant magical wishes on a unicorn, turning the other cheek is not going to work. By the way, Marty, you'd be surprise at a few other alleged things that Jesus character said in that book "Fractured Fairy Tales". By the way, his name isn't even Jesus.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Oct 24, 2007 11:56:16 AM

10. MARTY was obviously the captain of his high school debate team as well as the contestant for the school spelling bee.

Posted by: peterparker | Oct 24, 2007 12:35:56 PM

11. Can I direct the MARTY et al to the wonders of the Google Toolbar with SPELLCHECK!!

Or even easier - If you are using Firefox, simply go to Tools, Options, Advanced, General and check off "Check my spelling as I type". http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/options#advanced

It really helps avoid major incoherence.

Posted by: Gregg | Oct 24, 2007 12:46:45 PM

12. Everyone is always quoted "out of context".

As far as Paul Jenkin's defense of Obama--pointing out Hilary's friendship with an anti-gay preacher isn't a defense--though it may be a reason to question our support of her.

Posted by: Daniel | Oct 24, 2007 12:47:15 PM

13. Marty's posting was so sincere and diplomatic, I'm suprized folks feel the need to "go after" him on spelling. Y'all know better than to point out my numerous mispellings and grammatical mistakes. I'll "read" y'all for dear life.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 24, 2007 12:59:51 PM

14. "surprized" now say somethin', I dare ya'.

Posted by: Derrick from Pittsburg | Oct 24, 2007 1:02:03 PM

15. It's a good thing he has no chance of being the nominee.

Posted by: God | Oct 24, 2007 1:10:42 PM

16. So long as McClurkin stands up and claims to be a "former homosexual" or "ex-gay" or whatever nonsense label he wants to use, and so long as he continues his campaign against homosexuals, he is an enemy of our movement and of freedom-loving people everywhere. And since Obama has decided to stick with McClurkin over me, Obama has lost my vote, my support and my campaign contributions.

We should not tolerate intolerance. We should not reward half-measures with our full support. Either Obama believes what he says about gay equality or he doesn't. And so long as people like McClurkin are involved with him, I will be forced to believe that he doesn't.

A very sad turn for what was a promising politician.

Posted by: Jonathon | Oct 24, 2007 1:35:15 PM

17. One hopes that Paul Jenkins is more honest with his auction house customers and more objectively informed about what he sells them than the cracked crock of bullshit he's peddling about the Donnie and Barack Show. He declares, "Obama easily remains the most convincing on the issue of gay rights." And my pet rock is the Hope Diamond.

AGAIN, I would STILL EAGERLY vote for Obama in the general election because he is light years better on all issues than the least reprehensible Repugnant, but only a Obama Troll/Hillary Hater like Jenkins could attempt to morally equate the significance of the endorsement, among thousands, of a ministerial mouse like Mayberry with gospel superstar and professional homophobe McClurkin who is as one writer described him "in perpetual demand at major cross-cultural revivals, conferences and events across the nation and world." His most recent CD includes performances in Japanese, Spanish, Russian, and Dutch.

For those without time to check the 2004 “Washington Post” article:

“Donnie McClurkin, Ready to Sing Out Against Gay 'Curse’
    Gospel singer Donnie McClurkin, who has detailed his struggle with gay tendencies and vowed to battle "the curse of homosexuality," said yesterday he'll perform as scheduled at the Republican National Convention on Thursday, despite controversy over his view that sexuality can be changed by religious intervention. "I can't let off. I didn't call myself -- God called me to do what I do," McClurkin told The Post's Hamil R. Harris. The Grammy winner declared, "If this is a war, we are willing to fight. Not a war of violence, but a war of purpose." McClurkin wrote on a Christian Web site in 2002 that he struggled with homosexuality after he was molested by male relatives when he was 8 and 13. "I've been through this and have experienced God's power to change my lifestyle," he wrote.

McClurkin has been saying such things publicly at least since an interview nine years ago in “Charisma” magazine. When his 2001 autobiography came out demonizing gays he told FamilyChristian.net writer that he was motivated to write the book after "seeing people, young people especially, who are being totally decimated in their sexuality."

While he has performed for Dems before but campaigned for Bush in Michigan and appeared on professional homohater Pat Robertson’s show pushing the same antigay agenda. He’ll never make the millions Robertson exploiting us but for religious gays trying to accept themselves McClurkin’s another Amityville Horror [he was born there].
    On his church’s Website, he writes of “overcoming ... sexual ambiguity by the power of the Holy Spirit and the Word of God,” and brags about his frequent appearances with pillars of the professional antigay industry such as Benny Hinn Crusades, Bishop T.D. Jakes, Rod Parsley Dominion Camp meetings [some credit Parsley for putting Ohio electoral votes into Bush’s bloody hands], and on the Trinity Broadcast Network (TBN). And, sadly, yes, like Isaiah Washington, he’s won an NAACP “Image Award.”
    Black lesbian minister Irene Monroe calls McClurkin, “the poster boy for African-American ex-gay ministries.”

He’s been featured in and praised by every major magazine focusing on the Black community including “Ebony,” “Essence,” and “Jet”—none of whom I would wager have ever heard of Rev. Mayberry, nor, in addition to the “Post,” USA Today,” Has Mayberry, like McClurkin, appeared on “Good Morning America,” the CBS “Early Show,” “The View,” UPN’s “Girlfriends” and “The Parkers,” and in the films “The Fighting Temptations” and “Diary of A Mad Black Woman,” and on the soundtrack of a Disney film. And, of course, has Mayberry ever appeared on Oprah’s show, let alone invited to her mega fundraiser for Obama where the candidate met the crusader for Christ Against Sodomites?

While both assert that they support gay equality, both Obama and the Big O don’t get that they can’t, with any integrity, simultaneously parade with those who don’t. Monroe again, “When he ran for the U.S. Senate in 2004, Obama campaigned at the Salem Baptist Church on Chicago’s South Side. It’s the 22,000-member black mega-church of Rev. James Meeks, who has called homosexuality an evil sickness.”
    I repeat: it’s one thing for candidates to have to accept a variety of supporters, even acknowledge their support on their Websites, and quite another for one of them to end his buzzword-titled “40 Days of Faith and Family” campaign in South Carolina with three days on stage with not just one act but three that have in various ways sung out against the “gay curse.”

Also repeating, I still think Obama can and is willing to learn, if not now then over time, while every leading Repugnant candidate is actively and consciously slithering backward on their earlier slightly more gay-positive positions. Some are dreaming that he will use his times on stage with McClurkin as a “teachable moment” to denounce his two-faced religious rhetoric. I doubt that will happen but, at the same time, don’t want to believe as African American Monroe does that Obama and his staff are playing a variation of the race card and knew exactly what they were doing in including McClurkin betting on an increase in Black support [Clinton leads him among black registered Democrats, 57 percent to 33 percent] will outweigh any loss of gay support.

While still willing to vote for him in the general election, until then gays who are always saying we must “demand more,” must send the message to Sen. Obama that his attempt to have it both ways with McClurkin, unlike the title of the reverend’s biggest hit, will not “Stand.”

Posted by: Leland Frances | Oct 24, 2007 3:11:48 PM

18. Yes, Leland, and thanks for the information. Black gay folks on the predominately black gay blogs are just as angry about this unecessary blunder by the Obama campaign.

McClurkin's dishonest and psychotic crusade against gay people is aimed against black gay people the most (blacks are, of course, the majority of those that attend his tent shows). He's been a figure of disgust to most black gays for years. THat's why it was difficult to believe that Barack didn't have any idea what a controversial decision this was by his campaign staff. It was so unecessary. Even as a primary state South Carolina aint worth nothing to any Democrat. The news that Obama beats Clinton in S. Carolina would mean nothing if you've pandered to the religious right to win the reddest state in the union. I think the Obama people are counting on this NOT continuing to be a big story. I think they're right.

As you've said, no matter who wins the Democratic nomination, that's who we must elect in November '08. All I have to do is think of, "Alito & Roberts", hell, I could pull the lever for old KKK Robert Byrd.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 24, 2007 3:54:46 PM

19. Ok no i caint spell, Sorry i guess it makes for difficult reading, but you folks appear to eat your oun. Greg thanks, i have wondered about how to do that. Lealand thanks. A well writen and researched post. i have learned something from both of you.

i hope to have made my point in that a victory for the Gay and Lesbian minority will be made and achieved by the means used by Greg and Leland. Educating the Stupid like me. Isnt that the goal we have for thoes who do not understand us. Yes we can demand our rights and should. But the change will come only when we persuade 1 over half the population that were better at education and tolerance than the people who hate us.

Being attacked, insulted and condemed for being less educated than some will turn you oun people aginst you. In a fight you need everybody to at least try to be involved. We ask tolerance and understanding from others. Yet so many of us dont even understand the meaning of the word Tolerance.

At least i just have trouble spelling it.

Im sorry i attempted to express myself to the very people im fighting for. Now i have to wonder what and who am i fighting for. Believe me when i say here in the south its a fight. while i may be a stupid Hillbilly. Ive never run from a fight. if what i just read from some of you is what im fighting for i have made a bigger mistake than just spelling and grammer.

Posted by: marty | Oct 25, 2007 1:33:59 AM

20. I might still vote for Obama next year. It's possible.

Of course, it's also possible that cats can talk and just don't want us to know.

Posted by: talkstocoyotes | Oct 29, 2007 10:32:58 AM