Election 2008 | Log Cabin Republicans | Mitt Romney | News | Patrick Sammon | Republican Party

Log Cabin Republicans Avoid Gay Rights in New Mitt Romney Ad

The Log Cabin Republicans, who are not endorsing a candidate in the Republican primary, have targeted Mitt Romney in a new ad to air in Iowa and on national cable, seeking to expose his past record to social conservatives.

The ad makes no mention of Romney's relationship with gay rights but hammers at the candidate's past record on abortion rights and gun laws. It also seeks to show that he's not a Reagan Republican.

LCR President Patrick Sammon talked to the Associated Press about the ad: "The bottom line is this is much more than about gay rights. He has been all over the map on every single issue. He quite frankly hasn't credibly explained his shifting positions. Particularly in Iowa, Gov. Romney has spent millions of dollars on the air trying to portray himself as a certain kind of candidate. We think that it's important to educate them about what his real record is."

Comments

1. It is remarkable to me that LCRs even exist. Its more remarkable to me that they are seemingly against the hottest Daddy among the Republican candidates.

Posted by: Jon | Oct 4, 2007 1:04:21 PM

2. Damn that is funny. This will surely make a bunch of conservative voters go absolutely crazy when they see it.

Posted by: Walt | Oct 4, 2007 1:25:30 PM

3. More power to them. Anything that discredits Republican candidates and sows doubts and apathy in Republican voter minds and fractures the Republican voter base more, I'm all for it. Where do I send the check?

Posted by: David | Oct 4, 2007 1:29:19 PM

4. It's like a group of chickens getting together and condemning KFC because their coleslaw is bad.

Posted by: crispy | Oct 4, 2007 1:30:03 PM

5. Well put, Crispy. Of course, at this point LCR is about as relevant as Ann Coulter. I can't think of a reason we should pay either much attention.

Posted by: jtg | Oct 4, 2007 2:00:19 PM

6. Oh, good one Crispy!

Posted by: gabriel | Oct 4, 2007 2:10:15 PM

7. Crispy, you've summed it up perfectly...

Posted by: Robert In WeHo | Oct 4, 2007 2:35:59 PM

8. Wow, I'm truly surprised that people wonder that LCRs exist. There are gay people opposed to big government, high taxes and so on, but who are appalled at the behavior of Christian conservatives and Bush and want to reform the party from within. I mean, for crying out loud, just because I love cock doesn't mean I want certain economic policies.

It's in the interests of ALL gay people to end homosexuality as a wedge issue and ensure that both parties are not discriminatory. Why? Because Republicans do get elected whether you like it or not, and if the wrong kind get in, we all get fucked.

Posted by: Eddie | Oct 4, 2007 3:19:55 PM

9. I am a member of the log cabin, and will NOT be voting for Romney!!! WOW...not even I can stretch that far. He is no longer pro choice, but neither am I, and he absolutely wants us gone. Amazed, what else can be said. I cannot support this man, Mitt Romney!

Posted by: RB | Oct 4, 2007 3:48:47 PM

10. Eddie,
    I think we all get what you're saying, but when I hear people - gay, straight or whatever - lend support to the GOP because of opposition to "big government, high taxes and so on," I have to chuckle. Which party supports big government and high taxes? None. Since when has the GOP done anything other than pay lip service (and not the Larry Craig kind of lip service) to smaller government and lower taxes (unless you're a mulit-millionaire)? Not in recent memory.

I guess I just think that gays who support certain fiscal ideals which are IMHO erroneously attributed to the GOP would be better off supporting individual candidates whom espouse such values or lobbying for these policies. Why support a political party that clearly wishes you would go away?

Posted by: jtg | Oct 4, 2007 3:57:29 PM

11. JTG, you make a good point. The current Republican leadership is an absolute disgrace for so many reasons, not least because of their wholesale abandonment of fiscal restraint and smaller government. I just don't see anyone in the Democratic party who believes in these principles either. Believe me, if they did, I'd vote Democrat in a second.

Maybe I'll just abstain.

Posted by: Eddie | Oct 4, 2007 4:53:53 PM

12. Unless something extraordinary happens the Republicans’ are going to lose big next year. There are two reasons they’re in trouble; George Bush and George Bush. They’re clearly losing their attempted oil piracy in Iraq so they’ve cooked up scheme to widen it to include Iran. Nixon made the same fatal mistake when he invaded Cambodia. He killed 800,000 civilians, enraged the American people, and lost control of US troops.

On the home front Bush bashes the health care of babies and children and threatens to veto any law even remotely supportive of equality. Republicans are squirming to distance themselves and to make matters worse their old standby - gay bashing - has lost some of its punch.

As Der Gubernator recently said, "In movie terms, we are dying at the box office." Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger (R), quoted by the Los Angeles Times, on the state of the Republican Party.

The only thing Republicans have going for them is the Democrats’ deceit. They promised to end the war but instead they fund it and support broadening it. They’re funding permanent bases including an immense colonial fortress in the Green Zone and a huge USAF base at Balad. They voted with Republicans to order the Iraqis to divide their country and to turn over its oil assets to American companies. They’re for an attack on Iran. They tried (hopefully unsuccessfully) to gut ENDA. They’ve done little or nothing to help union workers or the elderly. Their feeble minimum wage law is a slap in the face.

They’re the best and only chance the Republicans have for winning.

Posted by: Bill Perdue | Oct 4, 2007 7:26:16 PM

13. OK, I love my gay Republican friends, particularly dear friend and brother RB, but I just can’t let some of these comments go unchecked.

When I hear people say that they support the Republican Party because they believe in small, non-intrusive government, low taxes, personal responsibility, a strong military and national pride I don't know whether to be amused, befuddled, bewildered or completely offended.

How long has it been since the Republican, on a national scale, REALLY supported ANY of these policies or ideals? Honestly. When? Does anyone remember?

We have the BIGGEST, MOST intrusive government in the history of our nation thanks to the Republican Party. We have the largest deficit in our nation’s history (thanks to out of control pork and never ending war of arrogance), which will have to be paid for by SOMEbody, SOMEwhere, SOMEtime, SOMEhow (probably with higher TAXES). We have Republican leadership that has shown itself to be completely out of control morally, ethically and criminally, doing just about EVERYTHING that they claim to deplore and seek to legislate against. We have an administration that has absolutely DECIMATED our military, sent them into a war based on lies and misinformation, cut their pay and benefits, sends them to disgustingly underfunded, understaffed, filthy, rodent infested hospitals where they receive substandard care, if they get ANY care at all after returning injured from combat. We have an Administration and a Republican party that TOTALLY squandered the national unity and goodwill of the WORLD that followed 9/11; has shamed us around the world and permanently damaged our good reputation by trashing the Geneva Convention; supporting, promoting and practicing TORTURE; invading sovereign countries (NATION BUILDING) and attacking our long time allies who dared to RIGHTLY question our tactics and rationales. AND, just to add insult to injury, they have SPIED on our own CITIZENS, shit on our Constitution, pissed on the Geneva Convention and made vulnerable minority populations of citizens (gays) and immigrants ENEMY ONE in their political campaigns.

Tell me again why you're a Republican in 2007?

As far as changing the party from the inside and supporting the goals of Log Cabin Republicans to make the party more gay friendly; PLEASE, tell me how that's going for ya?

The LCR, to which I used to belong, was founded in 1977. Since its inception, EVERY YEAR, WITHOUT EXCEPTION, the Republican Party has become MORE and MORE homophobic. I challenge ANYONE to show me that I'm wrong. So by ITS OWN charter and ITS OWN stated purpose for existence the LCR has been a complete and utter failure AND has been consistently so for THIRTY frickin YEARS. At what point do its member (like I did) acknowledge this abysmal failure and decide that there has to be another way?

Since you are clearly failing to fix the problems in the Republican Party as it relates to GLBT issues and they clearly no longer stand for anything that drew you to the GOP in the first place, why not consider working with the Democratic Party and try to change the things you don’t like about IT from the INSIDE. I think you would stand a much better chance but HEY, if in thirty years you haven’t made one bit of difference (like you’ve done with the Republican Party) at least you haven’t lost a thing and you can go back to the GOP and start all over again.

Sorry for the rant but Jesus Christ it’s time to face some facts.

I want to make it clear that I was a LIFELONG Republican from a very Republican family. I’m not just another screaming, tree hugging liberal who is bashing the GOP just for the hell of it. I’ve been there, done that. I’ve been on both sides. I can tell you that it is EXTREMELY difficult to make the decision to jump the aisle (I swear to God it was like leaving a cult) but once you make the leap you wonder why the hell you didn’t do it sooner.

Come on RB. Come to the dark side! I am your FAAAAAAther. :)

Posted by: Zeke | Oct 4, 2007 9:07:29 PM

14. The Like Cock Republicans control a large part of big pharma - feeding like zombies off the bodies of AIDS victims. Smaller govt? yah right.

Posted by: Robguy | Oct 4, 2007 11:44:46 PM

15. ok, i feel a l'il bit dirty sharing this thread with gay repugs. the LOG swallowers make me ill.

if there is ever to be equity in this country, it won't be because of them. they don't vote their consciences, they vote by the dictates of their purses, as if to say "fuck everybody else, let's do lunch."

gay repugs = nazi jews.

Posted by: nic | Oct 5, 2007 3:11:40 AM

16. The LCR ad did not mention "the gay issue", just as one would expect the gay Democrats not to mention Hillary's husband allowing "don't ask don't tell" and DOMA.

gay democrauts = nazi automotons

Posted by: Dale G | Oct 5, 2007 10:45:19 AM

17. Did Pissy Little Tweener Girls think up this ad? Log Cabin Republicans ought to grow at least one pair among them and attack Republicans head on for backtracking on gay rights, instead of going at him the "back door" way with the abortion issue, which barely affects gay lives. The Xtians have no trouble criticizing Republicans they disagree with, why should the LCRs?

Posted by: Castigator | Oct 5, 2007 11:31:32 AM

18. DOMA beats the hell out of a constitutional amendment. "gay democrauts = nazi automotons" Mary, please. (btw, it's spelled automatons.) LCRs might be less ineffectual if they made sense now and again.

Posted by: nic | Oct 5, 2007 6:41:42 PM

19. I believe both parties are bad! As a Republican, I cant believe I am going to say this BUT after I vote for the Primary (Rudy or Fred, havent decided yet) I will voting for President LEZBOT as the next president of the United States of America.

LESBIAN ALL THE WAY!!!! Hillary, Dump Bill, Marry Condi!!!

Okay that was a joke (for all you PC Freaks!), but the first Paragraph, is correct.

Posted by: Zeke | Oct 7, 2007 1:47:27 AM