California | Natural Disasters | News | Religion

Milwaukee Pastor Blames California Wildfires on Tolerance of Gays

Firesgay

DailyKos published an email yesterday from anti-abortion pastor Matt Trewhella that was sent out to his supporters. Trewhella is a Milwaukee-based wingnut of the Falwell school of thinking, apparently. According to DailyKos, "Matt Trewhella is known by law enforcement, and was investigated by the FBI in the mid 90's during the murders of abortion doctors and clinic workers." Trewhella blames the California fires on the state's new education law which bans school instruction or activities which could be perceived as negative towards gay, bisexual, or transgender people.

Here's part of the email:

***

TrewhellaSubject: The Righteous Judgment of God
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 03:00:18 +0000

Dear Friends,

Last week I groaned when I read how Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed a bill into law in California which foisted homosexuality upon the children of that state through the state school system. The bill was SB777 and it clearly redefines (perverts) what sexuality is, as well as promotes the legitmacy of homosexuality upon children starting from kindergarten on up. He signed the bill on Saturday, October 13th.

Seven days later on October 20th, wildfires broke out across California in several places.

***

Come to think of it, I wonder if the Phelps clan has sent out an alert? Why yes, they have.

Anti-abortion pastor blames wildfires on "homosexual" law [tr]

Comments

1. I think it's more likely the fires were retribution for so many republicans living in the Dan Diego area. God told me.

Posted by: Bill | Oct 25, 2007 9:02:46 AM

2. Sorry, I was blinded by God's light. That would be San Diego.

Posted by: Bill | Oct 25, 2007 9:04:07 AM

3. I think the fires are god retribution for the veto of the marriage bill.

Posted by: jimbo | Oct 25, 2007 9:05:45 AM

4. The wingnuts are slipping. This took longer than I thought it would. More speech! Everytime one of these fools issues such statements of stupidity, we convince more people of the basic fairness of our quest for civil rights.

Posted by: rudy | Oct 25, 2007 9:13:53 AM

5. Damm Can America get any more stupid...? These religious Buy-Bull beaters are a disease on mankind! Either Im gettin' old (47) or just more Cynical about this country everyday! He's out there spreading bigotry, but NOT protesting Homeslessness,Poverty,46+ million without health Ins...the list goes on and on.

Posted by: Rex | Oct 25, 2007 9:15:25 AM

6. For cassius

20071024/california-wildfires-arson/

The other day Cassius tried to create a racist image based off of catastrophe reactions in groups of people. The above article is just one more nail in that foolish coffin. 1 arsonist being searched for another arsonist shot dead and reports of looting.

See casius, I told you the other day that reports like this would come out after a few days time. Your looting a tv in NO schtick was days after the beginning of the catastrophe. The supposed lack of reports of same in whiter socal was only due to time not anything else as you so wrongly tried to say. There are imbeciles in all groups of people, even white socal republicans.

:-)

On the pastor in the thread article :-(

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Oct 25, 2007 9:31:07 AM

7. Wildfires in California are not uncommon... what the hell was God punishing us for with the rest of them?

Posted by: Wes | Oct 25, 2007 9:32:55 AM

8. People this insane have no business being loose on the streets. Yet, countless saps will write them checks to continue their diatribe.

Posted by: Johnny Lane | Oct 25, 2007 9:34:44 AM

9. Comes as no surprise, Fox News said it was al Quida. These bigots twist everything into a anti-gay tirade since they know one thing, hate. And, someone needs to let this nitwit know, wildfires are part of life in the West, have been for thousands of years.

Posted by: Sebastian | Oct 25, 2007 9:56:10 AM

10. Many of the wildfires were set by arsonists. I guess they were just doing God's work.

Posted by: NickC | Oct 25, 2007 10:01:23 AM

11. I hope they keep on talking, and I hope they get more airtime. The more these people spew this kind of unequivocal insanity, straight conservatives with even a tiny inkling of reasonable mind will recoil in horror and realize we're right. Further, now that the Republicans have spent 25 years sucking up to this lunatic fringe, they'll be justifiably guilty by association.

Posted by: Brian | Oct 25, 2007 10:04:06 AM

12. Finally! I have been waiting for this since they broke out. I am surprised it took them this long.

Posted by: Dan B | Oct 25, 2007 10:08:53 AM

13. x-tianity is a sick ,crazy religion that appeals to the wackos filled with guilt and low self esteem. The concept of an angry, petulant, jealous god wreaking havoc through the elements was created by and appeals to their own sick, twisted minds. Their god is a projection of their own hatred, intolerance, and bigotry. They are ashamed of their sexual feelings and so try to stamp it out in others. And yet are always caught with their pants down in some sex sting or another.

So jebus is supposed to come back and save everybody all over again. Why didn’t he fix everything the first time? And why would god create the scenario that he would have to send somebody down to save everybody. So if I have this right god sent his only son down to save everybody and die for everybody and yet god punishes sin but jebus forgives. Doesn’t make any sense. What a bunch of wackos! Back to Joseph Campbell, my dears. Gimme Buddhism any old day.

Posted by: the queen | Oct 25, 2007 10:32:51 AM

14. Can we then blame Milwaukee’s brutal winters on their tolerance of hate spewing religious douche-bags?

Posted by: Digger | Oct 25, 2007 10:34:26 AM

15. As a Californian I can say with certainty that I do not feel Governator Schwarzenegger 'tolerates' me and my people whatsoever.

Posted by: peterparker | Oct 25, 2007 10:47:07 AM

16. Is he kidding? Sorry, but last I looked West Hollywood was doing fine and fire-free. God seems to have taken his "wrath" out on hateful, bankrupt (twice), corrupt (Duke Cunningham, et al), Republican San Diego. Too bad the rest of the people in that area had to suffer for the sins of the few.

Does Matt see Jesus' image in potato chips also?

Posted by: noteasilyoffended | Oct 25, 2007 10:50:33 AM

17. Too bad the Governator isn't more supportive of the gays. We certainly helped him out back in the day, hiring him to pose in "After Dark". Betcha the Shrivers weren't reading that little publication...

Posted by: Brian | Oct 25, 2007 10:52:34 AM

18. This is hardly news. Everyone should stop reporting this crap which doesn't nothing more than spread their message more for them.

Posted by: chris | Oct 25, 2007 11:21:07 AM

19. For those wondering what Jimmyboyo is blabbering about, I made a post a couple days ago in praise of the victims in the San Diego fires. I cited an AP article which reported "Civility Reigns" in Qulacomm Stadium, and compared it to the nightmare of the Superdome and Katrina.

I made the obvious point that New Orleans and other parts of the country could learn much from San Diego's exempliary behavior.

Note that I never mentioned race. Jimmyboyo, in his own mind, imagined that I did however, and decided on his own to make this a racial issue.

He called me, the Associated Press, and most of the US as racist. And quite possibly France too; he has not clarified that point yet.

People have posted in support of me, telling Jimmyboyo he is acting like a loony...but to no avail, apparantly. Shrug.

Posted by: Cassius | Oct 25, 2007 11:36:59 AM

20. I wondered how long it would take for this to be blamed on "the gays". So let's see, gays are responsible for 9-11, Katrina, and now the California wildfires. You'd think these people would learn to leave us alone - cause we can f-ing destroy your city!

Posted by: wetcnt | Oct 25, 2007 12:12:14 PM

21. I know some gays are "flaming", but c'mon.....

Posted by: Rob | Oct 25, 2007 12:35:07 PM

22. I'd have to agree with Chris that this is not news. In a nation of 300 million people the odds are very high that someone will say something stupid like this. What matters is what a substantial majority of people think. It is also equally crazy to blame the fires on Global Warming, which various politicians hinted at yesterday--they should know better.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Oct 25, 2007 1:03:34 PM

23. Thank you very much Pastor "True Hell".Thanks to your logic, more and more people are realizing how badly your religion-based bigotry is slowing down peace and harmony on this planet. Keep it coming, will you, please!?

Posted by: Shabaka | Oct 25, 2007 1:28:52 PM

24. The Bishop of Carlisle is quite clear that the gays are responsible for "flooding". Maybe a few well-placed queers from the north of England might help put out the California fires?

Posted by: Mike | Oct 25, 2007 1:29:52 PM

25. casius telling lies again? Easy to check via linking back to it. :-)

evacuation-nigh.html#comments

Lets see. before i even got into the debate, all posts basically called what you were saying "full of crap" after I jumped in 1 supporting you and 1 saying thanks to me for pointing out your bull shit.

LOL kid, lies lies lies. You got busted admited it. You were trying to inject race into things. You were and are wrong. You spouted off about how nobody in SD was or would loot a tv etc etc etc. Which by the way is wrong since 2 arsonists and reported looting in San diego county is going on.

The dry cleaner called and said those blood stains in your klan outfit just won't come out.

Now lie some more