Edward Hopper | Magazines | News | Ryan Gosling

BigGayDeal.com

Ryan Gosling Works His Best Edward Hopper

Gosling1

I'm loving the Hopper-esque vibe of this shot of Ryan Gosling from this month's GQ. Photo by Nathaniel Goldberg. More here, along with the interview.

Gosling2 Gosling3

Comments

1. Make that a "hotter D.H. Lawrence" meets Edward Hopper. Gosling's acting is incendiary and his sexy whole is greater than the sum of his parts, no pun intended. There's currently a Hopper exhibit that's supposed to be quite stunning at DC's National Gallery of Art There through late January. It was recently in Boston and moves to Chicago after DC. I'm going next month. Mr. Gosling: meet you the gallery's Cascade Café on Thursday at 1:15 for one of their Hopper-honorific “Blue Plate Specials.”

"This is the first comprehensive survey of Edward Hopper's career to be seen in American museums outside New York in more than 25 years. Focusing on the period of the artist's great achievements—from about 1925 to midcentury—the exhibition will feature such iconic paintings as Automat (1927), Drug Store (1927), Early Sunday Morning (1930), New York Movie (1939), and Nighthawks (1942).

Edward Hopper's classic works captured the realities of urban and rural American life with a poignancy and beauty that have placed them among the most enduring and popular images of the 20th century. This exhibition of about 48 oil paintings, 34 watercolors, and 12 prints will reveal Hopper (1882–1967) as a creator of compelling images who produced remarkably subtle and painterly effects in both oil and watercolor. It will also examine how his images were seen in his own time."

Posted by: Leland Frances | Oct 17, 2007 6:06:16 PM

2. I adore Ryan Gosling. More, please.

Posted by: crispy | Oct 17, 2007 6:37:27 PM

3. I saw the Edward Hopper exhibit at the National Gallery of Art in Wash. DC last weekend and it is fantastic. Hopper's paintings look so crisp and fresh it looks like they were painted yesterday, but he did most of them back in the 40's, 50's... "Nighthawks" is far more stunning in person than in books or on the internet. I highly recommend this exhibit.

Posted by: Hephaestion | Oct 17, 2007 6:47:29 PM

4. I know Edward Hopper was married to a woman but his self-portrait and his work set off my gaydar big-time. I noticed his men are usually very attractive, while his women have plain & unattractive faces even when they have voluptuous bodies. Does anyone know if he might have been gay?

Posted by: Hephaestion | Oct 17, 2007 6:50:32 PM

5. The exhibit is wonderful! I can't say a care much for watercolor sketches of lighthouses. But his major paintings are justifiably famous. Icons of Americana, and very "film noir."

Posted by: Jake | Oct 17, 2007 7:41:41 PM

6. I love Ryan too, especially in his more disturbing film roles, such as "The Believer", "Murder by Numbers", and especially "Stay", since he reminds me so much of one of my ex-boyfriends, who was a total psycho (aren't they all?).

I was lucky to escape that nutjob alive (but he at least WAS good in bed, so I guess it was worth it ;)

Posted by: Jordan | Oct 17, 2007 8:30:22 PM

7. Am I the only one that still sees him as the guy from Breaker High. That's all I think about when I see him.

Posted by: Nicole Richtea | Oct 17, 2007 9:21:30 PM

8. Yeah, Jordan ... I loved him in Murder By Numbers, too. And he was quite delicious then.

Posted by: taylor Siluwé | Oct 17, 2007 9:51:12 PM

9. I am so blown away by the way Ryan has looked the past couple years. Forget young Ryan, he is SO much hotter now with age & facial hair. Incredibly interesting face. Can't wait to see Lars And The Real Girl on the big screen. I was literally up til 3am the other night saving internet pics of him.....like a starry eyed 14 y/o girl...lol.

Posted by: Rob | Oct 18, 2007 12:44:12 AM

10. I have to say, while I think he's an impressive actor (and obviously eye candy), I haven't been impressed with some of his role selections. Indeed, I couldn't even stand to finish that trainwreck of a movie that earned him an academy award nomination - which is odd, given the fact that I usually like indie movies. Yet, not so much when they're melancholy turds.

Posted by: Ryan | Oct 18, 2007 3:22:43 AM

11. I adore him. Brilliant actor !

Posted by: Isis | Oct 18, 2007 7:10:34 AM

12. Love the Nathaniel Goldberg photos

Posted by: ~*~ | Oct 18, 2007 7:50:45 AM

13. The guy is the real deal. Super nice and down to earth. Lars is a beautiful sweet movie. I heard him and Rachel broke up, which is too bad because they were so good together.

Posted by: secretagentman | Oct 18, 2007 9:50:33 AM

14. Brilliant in Half Nelson.

Andy, please don't leave me, hope everything is okay...

Posted by: Davey | Oct 18, 2007 10:26:06 AM

15. Ryan Gosling, meh; Edward Hopper, gorgeous. The exhibit in DC, however, is very poorly hung (too lazy to fix an unintentional bad pun). The pictures were much better displayed in Boston and I hope they will be so in Chicago. (Thank the art gods that I get to travel for business so frequently.)

The conservators have taken the open and tranquil space that is the National Gallery and made a cramped and dark exhibit. The pictures themselves convey disquiet and isolation, we do not need the display to hammer home the theme.

As for the watercolours, I found them revelatory. Watercolour is a much more difficult medium than oil because it cannot be "corrected". That said, the oils are truly and deservedly iconic. They remain perfect slices of life in mid-century America. They never preach, they are not bombastic, they do not try too hard. What a lovely way to spend an afternoon (or several).

Posted by: rudy | Oct 18, 2007 11:51:00 AM

16. He's a brilliant actor and very sweet in person. Don't miss "Lars"!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Oct 18, 2007 1:15:14 PM

17. I can't wait to see the Edward Hopper exhibit at the National Gallery here in DC!

As for Gosling: he is very handsome, his beard suits him, and he definitely looks at home in an old-fashioned setting.

Posted by: Meeg | Oct 18, 2007 1:46:32 PM

18. Gosling does seem to add an entirely new dimension to the "Night Hawks".

Posted by: jhseattle | Oct 18, 2007 8:56:17 PM