SNL’s “Iran So Far” with Samberg, Armisen, Levine and Gyllenhaal

Andy Samberg Fred Armisen and Maroon 5’s Adam Levine riff on Iran President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in this brilliant digital short. And the Jake Gyllenhaal cameo is just icing on the cake.

You may have missed…
Ahmadinejad: “In Iran, we don’t have homosexuals” [tr]

Comments

1. Wayne says

Saw this Saturday night and laughed until I cried! I watched it over and over again! Samberg is brilliant! First he gave us Dick in a Box (which just won an emmy, by the way) and now this! WOW! And Jake’s appearance is simply amazing! He truly knows how to pander to his audience, and have fun with how the press represents him. Greatness!

2. Bankerboy says

This has to be one of the funniest things I have ever seen on SNL. Samberg is hysterical and when Adam Levine shows up its even better.
    Any one else thing Andy is very cute?
    The line about no Homos in Iran, but now you are in New York was priceless.

3. David says

It was definitely cute…

But besides the occasional short, SNL sucks hard lately. The live skits are virtually unwatchable.

Maybe they should just drop the live part and do digital shorts like that over and over again.

4. jimmyboyo says

old school SNL would have done it better.

When I say old school I mean old shoooool Dana Carvey days. SNL has declined to the point that it probably should just be taken off the air. Today’s Mad TV (which the younger generation watch) would have done it better.

5. Becks07 says

I haven’t watched an episode of SNL in well more than a decade (I’m from the Old Old Skool of Chevy, Laraine, Gilda, Garret, et al) but one thing remains true today, obviously, that was true then: the film shorts were amazing.

Thanks for sharing this, Andy. Our country should never forget its sense of humor!

6. Richard says

Very, very funny, inspired, satire. And, I really like the fact that these men are comfortable enough in their own skins to perform in a smart, tongue-in-cheek pro-Gay skit. They’re all incredibly talented, and hot.

But, given the subject, way too subtle for me.

Where were the custard pies and rotten tomatoes at Columbia? In the word of the LA Times, Ahmadinejad left the USA a winner, with world press and more visibility than when he arrived. Having a terrorist for a “Distinguished Lecture” at Columbia? Give me a break! Aren’t there any students with balls at Columbia? The protests were lame, and the president of that university should be — shall we say — “let go.” How self-loathing can we be?

7. peterparker says

Andy Samberg is the hottest man in the Western Hemisphere. I would give my right nut for a date with him.

And Crispy, thanks for interpreting that line…I would have never understood what he was saying. And it’s all the more hilarious for the fact that Jim Caviezel is a troglodyte on par with Ahmadinejad.

8. anon (gmail.com) says

It’s almost impossible to find SNL clips on YouTube. They must have an army of lawyers protecting their precious “property”, even though the shows are typically unwatchable.

9. Strepsi says

Andy Samberg is a FAG STAG. Someone who ‘may be straight’ but is not afraid to treat and pander to his gay fans. Other FAG STAGS — Sting (for allowing himself to be auctioned off shirtless, by Elton John), Brad Pitt, and Hugh Jackman. Look up Andy’s “Roy Rules!” song to see him hit on his real-life brother in law! 😀

10. Billy says

Anyone who thinks SNL is “unfunny” and prefers, say, the 90’s casts needs to get their heads out of their asses and join the 21st century. The same people who bash SNL are the same people who watch 30 Rock, which is so wonderfully ironic.

11. dancobbb@aol.com says

Yes, love between two men is so absurd and ridiculous that using a gay relationship makes double fun of Ahmedinejad. So hilrarious. In this piece I think gay affection and love (between two men) are being mocked more than the president of Iran. It never ceases to amaze me how comfortable people are with belittle gay male love. This is a profoundly homophobic piece and even most of the gays are laughing. Ugh!

12. D. says

Love between two men is not ridiculous. A gay love song dedicated to one of the most homophobic figures in the world is. And so are the lyrics (But you are in New York, baby!)… Methinks you are taking this the wrong way.

13. jimmyboyo says

No billy, I do not watch 30 rock. yet I do bash SNL. SNL sucks! simple fact. It once was funny, but just isn’t anymore.

Those that do think SNL is still funny probably work there and need the paycheck.

:-)

The only skit that they have put out in years that was in any way funny was the one with Al Gore doing a state of the union speach.

14. says

Gotta love those geniuses at NBC — they finally get another hit on their hands, and they pull their own video from YouTube. Guess they weren’t dynamically synergizing their interactive product monetization enough.

15. nic says

Sparks, thanx. the clip was high-larious. i now have a bigger crush on samberg and levine. armisen is great as ahmadinewhatsit. and jakey, is… well, jakey.

none of these guys would be mocking gays. (isn’t armisen gay?) they’re making fun of maghhhh-mood. adam and andy are both from jewish backgrounds, so i’m fairly sure they’re making fun of him — not gay men. “you can deny the holocaust all you want, but you can’t deny that there’s something between us.” haha!

i dunno. i like the current cast of SNL. i think mad tv is too heavy-handed for this kind of thing (this digital short and “dick in a box”).

“30 rock” is easily one of the best sit-coms on tv. tina fey f-ckin’ rocks.

16. So Left I'm Right says

Oh man, I love people finding this offensive or homophobic. Please get a sense of humor! PC time is over. This is so brilliant. Adam Samberg is the only breath of life left at SNL.

17. says

Apparently gay people are in a reserved class and should never be mentioned ever in comedians lest else they be considered homophobic. I dont even know what the basis is for even calling this homophobic. Is it because the men involved arent gay? You’re completely missing the point and I’m glad I dont know you, mr. boring.

18. eoinm says

As usual, the first half of the comments pageis devotted to those that find it funny, then the PC brigade move in and tear the thing to pieces, saying it’s “homophobic” and then someone at the end decides gays are all prisses. Same thing every time.

I think most people enjoyed it and saw the funny side. The fact is, it was mocking Mahmoud A, that was the whole point, to turn his ideology on its head and make it funny at the same time. Some of you really need to lighten up and stop seeing everything as an attack on sexuality. Others thankfully, have a more balanced view and can see the funny side.

The whole thing is A+ from start to finish. Well done, guys!

And Ahmadinejad didn’t leave America as a hero, he left with the world seeing what a geek he is but still being allowed to say what he wants, because the US is big enough to allow for different opinions and to not change its own stance. The free world was the winner.