Ellen DeGeneres | News | Pets | Television

BigGayDeal.com

Tearful Ellen DeGeneres Begs Agency to Return Dog to Kids

Powered by AOL Video

An emotional Ellen DeGeneres broke down on her show today, pleading with a dog rescue agency to return an adopted dog she had given to her hairdresser and two girls because it didn't get along with the cats at the DeGeneres-De Rossi household. Here is Ellen's tearful hello to her audience.

The AP reports: "The talk show hostess and her partner Portia de Rossi adopted Iggy, a Brussels Griffon mix, on Sept. 20. But when things didn't work out, DeGeneres gave the dog to her hairdresser. In doing so, DeGeneres violated an agreement with the Mutts and Moms agency by not informing them of the handoff. When the agency called DeGeneres to ask about Iggy, she said she found another home for the dog. The agency sent a representative to the hairdresser's home Sunday and took the dog away. DeGeneres went public with the doggy ordeal Monday while taping an episode of her show to air Tuesday. She admitted she didn't read all the paperwork involving the adoption."

Perhaps Mutts and Moms, a volunteer nonprofit organization in Pasadena, should add "militant" to their organization's name.

Comments

1. Who gave that organization authority to come to a person's house and take a dog away? At the very least, one would think police would have to do that.

Posted by: Ryan | Oct 16, 2007 12:41:02 PM

2. Damn. That is heartbreaking.

You have to be pretty cold to take a puppy away from two little girls.

Posted by: RP | Oct 16, 2007 12:45:28 PM

3. ack... that made me cry. Ellen is so sweet... bad Mutt and Moms... this doesn't reflect well for them.

Posted by: Eric | Oct 16, 2007 12:49:31 PM

4. Wow... You've got to love Ellen. She's one of the few people on TV today that comes across as having a heart and soul. This is really, really bad for this non-profit; They'll be rushing that dog back right now!

Posted by: Johnny C | Oct 16, 2007 12:49:59 PM

5. ...meanwhile as children are dying in Iraq.

Oh if only Blackwater were drowning puppies... we could then really shut them down.

Posted by: NotForYou | Oct 16, 2007 12:53:02 PM

6. I had a similar incident with a different organization, but they didn't come and try to take the dog. It's a damn shame when people can't use common sense.

Posted by: mikeinbama | Oct 16, 2007 12:55:05 PM

7. It's ironic that this outfit, Mutts and Moms, http://www.muttsandmoms.org/ , touts adoptions and writes that there are too many pets in shelters, yet they would remove an animal from a home, based on a technicality! Fucking outrageous! Mariana runs this outfit and can be reached at: [email protected] . (818)703-1664

Posted by: jesse | Oct 16, 2007 12:55:20 PM

8. What a powerful statement from Ellen. I hope they give the dog back.

Posted by: Taylor Blue | Oct 16, 2007 12:55:27 PM

9. I definitely feel bad for Ellen and her friends, but I'd be careful about calling out the Mutts and Moms group on being cold. They don't know anything about the hairdresser or her family. Obviously, it's doubtful, but for all they knew, the family WASN'T able to care for the dog to their standards and couldn't pass their background check. I totally understand why they took it back, but I do hope they give the family a chance to reapply for the ownership.

Go through the proper channels, get the dog back, and everyone will be happy again. This didn't need to be a huge deal, nor did it need to go to television. I understand why she's upset, but Ellen fans are now probably miffed with a nonprofit that saves dogs. Just read the contracts next time.

Posted by: David | Oct 16, 2007 12:56:36 PM

10. I read in another news report that a rep from "Mutts & Moms" went to the hairdresser's house WITH the police to take the dog back.

Now that makes sense. How and why could anyone give up their pet otherwise.

These pet Nazis must be taken to task and return that dog. They have hurt themselves irrevocably with their stupidity already. The public is going to go crazy today when this show airs.

Posted by: Sushi | Oct 16, 2007 12:58:45 PM

11. I Googled the Mutts and Moms site to grab their email address in order to send them a plea to return the dog and...wouldn't ya know it....they took the email address off their contact page.

But ya gotta love the Google CACHE option. Wa-lah...there it was.

So, if any of you are interested...here is the email address: [email protected]

Posted by: Wayne | Oct 16, 2007 1:02:18 PM

12. This is the exact reason I do not have a dog. I would love to have one, yet when I go the a shelter, or contact a rescue organization I walk away feeling that I'm looking for an animal to abuse, neglect or engage in bestiality. Which is exactly how the people who run those places make me feel. It's not true obviously, and their gestapo tactics keep a dog from finding a good hime. It's too bad these zealots don't have any common sense. They're perpetuating the pet population problem by these actions.
    I've kept quiet about this a long time thinking I was the only meanie out there who felt abused by these people. Glad to know I'm not alone.

It's too bad too, I have a perfect setup for a dog and would welcome the companionship.

Maybe one day there'll be an organization that cares for pets and people both.

Posted by: jake | Oct 16, 2007 1:05:11 PM

13. I adore Ellen, puppies and children, but I can kinda side with the dog rescue on this one. . . .

Earlier this year my partner and I decided to adopt a dog in the D.C. area. We searched around, and as a result witnessed a ton of dogs being adopted into bad homes or for bad reasons. I imagine if you go to any local pound, you can see people scoping out the mean looking dogs for dog fighting, e.g., or adopting a dog on a whim without a clue about the responsibility needed.

The rescue where we ultimately found our puppy made us agree to all kinds beforehand (neutering it when it came of age, keeping the rescue apprised of its health and location, etc.). We also submitted to a home visit so the rescue could ensure the dog was going to a dog friendly home. All was done to ensure the welfare of the dog. If one could adopt a dog and then give it to someone else unchecked by the rescue, it could lead to very bad results. Granted there should be loopholes such that the dog can go from one good home to another with approval, but I think these rules have a purpose.

Posted by: shaw rez | Oct 16, 2007 1:06:12 PM

14. I agree with NOTFORYOU & DAVID.

With all the children dying in Iraq and Darfur, this is really ridiculous. I am sure that with her star power, she could have easily taken care of this matter privately without dragging all of America in on it. I love Ellen, but come ON!

Posted by: soulbrotha | Oct 16, 2007 1:07:01 PM

15. I just can't believe that Mutts and Moms isn't in MAJOR damage control mode right now, that is, if it values its future role saving animals. Unbelievable! Now dog lovers are going to target them. I imagine they will be giving the dog back in the next 48 hours, if they aren't completely INSANE.

Posted by: Mike | Oct 16, 2007 1:07:17 PM

16. Well, I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here.

Pet adoption agencies want to see their animals placed in loving homes. I'm wondering if there was a reason, aside from Ellen's violation of the terms of the contract, that the agency took the dog back. For example, reputable pet adoption agencies will not allow a dog to go to a home that does not have a fenced-in yard. This helps insure the dog will not wander into traffic to get hit by a car. Maybe the representative for Mutts and Moms showed up at Ellen's hairdressers's house simply to inspect and make certain the dog was safe only to discover that there was no fence to help keep Iggy out of traffic. That's one scenario in which I could see the adoption agency removing the dog, however, you'd think they would state that as a reason.

Now, if they took the dog away from a loving, safe home simply because Ellen violated the terms of the contract, then someone should slap them upside the head because at that point they've further traumatized the dog simply to stand on principle.

Posted by: peterparker | Oct 16, 2007 1:09:30 PM

17. Here's a bigger question. Why are cops accompanying this organization to reclaim a dog in what is most likely a civil matter? It's not like the animal is a child. Anyone who has had experience in a civil dispute (like having a moving company refuse to give you back your belongings until their inflated phony bill is paid) will understand how bizarre it is for the cops to be so obliging.

Posted by: Jim | Oct 16, 2007 1:09:52 PM

18. To Shaw Rez:

Logic has to prevail on some level. Ellen is NOT Michael Vick. She is not looking for dogs to "fight". She adopted a dog in good conscience. It didn't work out. She found the dog a loving home with someone she knew and sees often. Period. Rules were made to be broken when it is the best thing...and this was.

Posted by: noteasilyoffended | Oct 16, 2007 1:10:57 PM

19. Oh, get over it! Seriously, it's a fucking dog. How about Ellen cry to the cameras because the country she lives in doesn't accept the relationship she's in?? What's the lesbian equivalent for "grow a set"? She's toothless. Way to pick your battles, Ellen!

Posted by: ghost | Oct 16, 2007 1:11:17 PM

20. First of all, the email address is still on the Mutts & Moms website. Not on the contact page, but it's still on the site.

Secondly, they do have a VERY long list of things you need to agree to in order to adopt, including (from their website):

"** I understand that a home visit is required prior to final placement.
    ** I understand that a home visit does not guarantee placement.
    ** I agree to provide my own collar, leash, choke chain or harness, and personal ID at the time of completing the adoption contract. If I do not have these available, I understand that I can borrow these items from Mutts & Moms with a $25 deposit. Crate deposit - $50.
    ** I understand that my dog must be walked on harness, soft fabric slip collar, or choke chain. Walking my dog on ID collar only puts my dog in unnecessary danger and I agree that I will not do it under any circumstances.
    ** I can make a donation of at least $250 to help rescue, provide medical care, spay and neuter, board and place other abandoned dogs.
    ** I understand that any donation or contribution is a gift freely given, not a purchase price for a dog.
    ** No goods or services have been or will be provided in exchange for my donation.
    ** I understand that my donation is not refundable.
    ** Mutts & Moms reserves the right to refuse adoption to any applicant for any reason."

They seem a little skanky with the whole "donation" thing. But I'm betting that the hairdresser simply didn't meet their criteria, and Ellen is bullying them by using her celebrity power.

Mutts and Moms does sound a bit militant, and I wouldn't adopt from them. But I don't know if Ellen's behavior is much better...

Posted by: Gregg | Oct 16, 2007 1:19:11 PM

21. They also require that the dog not be left alone for more than 6 hours a day, which seems like a tough requirement to meet for most people!

Posted by: Gregg | Oct 16, 2007 1:20:31 PM

22. Would that there be as stringent requirements to have a child...

Posted by: stebbins | Oct 16, 2007 1:27:43 PM

23. This is newsworthy? I bet the lesbian killed execution style on a military base in Afghanistan didn't get half as many posts.

Posted by: Marco | Oct 16, 2007 1:30:03 PM

24. I have a lot more compassion for animals than I do people. People can make choices to make their lives better. Animals have very little choice in life. This place did the wrong thing and they need to fix it. Ellen did the right thing.

Posted by: Eric | Oct 16, 2007 1:31:05 PM

25. Oh Hell nah!! So a dog got full coverage on Ellen and Desmond Tutu, President Jimmy Carter and them didn't get squat for a very public outcry to save Darfur??? Please someone tell me I'm day-dreaming!!

Posted by: Shabaka | Oct 16, 2007 1:32:31 PM