Andy Roddick | Britney Spears | Dick Cheney | Discrimination | Elton John | Facebook | Gay Adoption | Global Warming | Great Britain | Lynne Cheney | Madonna | Montana | News | Religion | Ricky Martin | Tennessee | Venezuela

BigGayDeal.com

News: Venezuela, Andy Roddick, Melting Glaciers, Lynne Cheney

road.jpg STUDY: America's youth rejecting Christianity because of hypocrisy and homophobia. "A new book based on research by the California-based research firm The Barna Group found that church attitudes about people in general and gays in particular are driving a negative image of the Christian faith among people ages 16-29. 'The Christian community's ability to take the high road and help to deal with some of the challenges that this (anti-gay) perception represents may be the ... defining response of the Christian church in the next decade,' said David Kinnaman, Barna Group president and author of the book, UnChristian: What a New Generation Really Thinks About Christianity. 'The anti-homosexual perception has now become sort of the Geiger counter of Christians' ability to love and work with people.'"

Blackoutroad.jpg Assessing the disaster that is Britney's album cover art.

road.jpg Venezuela looks ready to outlaw discrimination based on sexual orientation.

road.jpg Three people in Cheney's office reportedly tried to silence MSNBC's Chris Matthews: "I thought on the 10th anniversary it would be good to celebrate the First Amendment, which gives us all our living. We reviewed in brief the remarkable experience of covering the Clinton [scandal] and the defense of the war with Iraq. And the difference in these two cases was that although I was extremely tough on Clinton, there was never any attempt to silence me — whereas there was a concerted effort by [Vice President Cheney’s office] to silence me. It came in the form of three different people calling trying to quiet me."

road.jpg British university student expelled for leaving homophobic comments in a group on Facebook.

road.jpg STUDY: 16,000 couples wed in first year of UK civil partnerships. "London was the area with the highest number of ceremonies, about 4,000, followed by the South-East, which accounted for about 2,700. Today's report also reveals that 10 per cent of the men and almost a quarter of the women involved in a gay wedding were previously married-The average age for males registering a same-sex partnership was 47 and for females nearly 44. The average age gap between partners was eight years for men and six years for women."

road.jpg Elton John bangs balls with Andy Roddick at benefit tournament.

Rickyroad.jpg Ricky Martin receives key to the city of Miami.

road.jpg Fragrance industry sniffing out Madonna.

road.jpg The big melt: Glaciers disappearing from Montana's Glacier National Park "eight years ahead of schedule."

road.jpg Tennessee attorney general Bob Cooper releases opinon to judge saying that the state's constitution presents no barrier to same-sex couples who want to adopt: "In it, Cooper wrote that, under the state constitution, same-sex couples should be eligible to adopt children as long as the court finds the placement to be in the child's best interest. Cooper found the constitution doesn't mention adoption, meaning the process is governed solely by statutes. Tennessee law doesn't require people petitioning for adoption to be married."

road.jpg Lynne Cheney booed on The Daily Show, says terrorist attacks worldwide don't affect American interests.

road.jpg This is a particularly hypnotizing optical illusion.

Comments

1. Interesting. Now the U.S. is behind Venezuela in terms of human rights.

Posted by: peterparker | Oct 12, 2007 1:57:01 PM

2. Mr Chavez aint stupid. A few years ago he laughed about "los maricones"--gays weren't even a serious thought in his mind. He now understands public relations, and improving his image compared to Dumb Dumb W. Bush. Of course, it could mean he and the Venezuelan government have had a change of heart, and actually believe we are human beings. I like the 2nd possibility, but I bet most gay Venezuelans will settle for either.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 12, 2007 2:05:02 PM

3. Venezuela: the law protects everyone, but there is no law no more.

The illusion is nice but the "theory" behind the description is hogwash.

What's going to silence Chris Loudmouth Matthews is one hamburger too many.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Oct 12, 2007 2:13:22 PM

4. It's spreading all over Latin America. I'd rather have that than religious dogma and civil wars.

By the way, that optical illusion is absolutely hypnotizing. I stared at it for far too long.

Posted by: Paul | Oct 12, 2007 2:14:55 PM

5. Although Lynne Cheney was booed for her comments on terrorism on the Daily Show....she received tremendous applause for saying she supported gay marriage.

Posted by: Ted Wight | Oct 12, 2007 2:15:06 PM

6. The spinning lady was crazy!!! I looked at it as clockwise for soooo long until I finally managed to see it the other way!

Posted by: Wes | Oct 12, 2007 2:18:50 PM

7. I have just lost a good 15 minutes of my life staring at the dancing lady as she went clockwise, then counter-clockwise, then back again. I am feeling a tad dizzy now.

Posted by: Tom | Oct 12, 2007 2:24:36 PM

8. 1) Good news that people, especially young people, are rejecting the homophobia and divisiveness of fundamentalist Christianity.

2) Ugh, PLEASE, NO MORE BRITNEY!

3) Good for Venezuela! They join South Africa as the only countries in the world where gay rights are constitutionally guaranteed. And don’t forget, South Africa’s gay supportive Constitutions is THE reason that the country now has marriage equality for same-sex couples. I still fear some of the moves that Chavez is making though. Seems like a consolidation of power to start a dictatorship. Like what Bush/Cheney would do if they could get away with it.

4) Slight correction: Over 18,000 gay couples tied the knot in Britain since the new Domestic Partnership law went into effect. 16,000+ partnered in 2006 but an additional 1500+ partnered in the last month or so of 2005 when the law went into effect. And as wonderful as this is, it still isn’t marriage. There is still another step to go in the UK. Hopefully TRUE equality will come to the British Isles soon. It still beats the hell outa what we have here!

5) I thought the Ricky Martin headline was gonna have something to do with National Coming Out Day. Oh well.

6) Here we go with the next anti-gay amendment push in Tennessee and a new rally cry to the fundamentalist neoCON troops across the country. Arkansas is already moving forward on an anti-gay foster/adoption amendment.

7) Lynn Cheney is every bit as evil as her husband.

And finally, that optical illusion is crazy wild. I saw it on DailyKos yesterday. It says that most people see her spin anti-clockwise but I, my husband and my son all see her spin clockwise. I am able to make her change directions though. Does that make me BI-llusional?

I’d love to take a poll of Towleroad readers as to which way they see her spin. They say gay people are more likely to be right brain dominant. I fit the bill. I just wonder how many others here do to. Please share your results and observations.

Posted by: Zeke | Oct 12, 2007 2:25:11 PM

9. Hot damn, Ricky Martin as a cute as ever. He is still so sexy, yummy yummy. The things I would do to that boy!

Posted by: yummy | Oct 12, 2007 2:28:32 PM

10. The trick with the spinning lady is to focus on the shadow of her leg that's in the air. Try to see it passing in front of her, then try to see it passing behind her. Really cool stuff. For the record, I first saw her going clockwise (I'm also left-handed).

Oh, and homophobia should not be punishable by expulsion. I'm really quite appalled.

Posted by: Chip | Oct 12, 2007 2:31:46 PM

11. Stop the Dancer! I can't stop watching! I must be strongly right-brained because I can only see her going clockwise.

That Britney cover photo looks completely amateurish. Was it taken for a yearbook?

Dobson and his acolytes have hijacked Christianity and are killing their creation.

Posted by: sam | Oct 12, 2007 2:35:40 PM

12. This is a good sign that American youth are rejecting the hypocrisy and bigotry of fundamentalist x-tianity. It seems more and more young people are turning towards the alternative forms of spirituality, i.e. paganism and witchcraft. All to the good and makes me hope for the future. Blessed Be.

Posted by: the queen | Oct 12, 2007 2:41:15 PM

13. I'm starting to think that the information on the dancer page is a misprint. It says that most people see her spin anti-clockwise but everyone I've heard from says they first saw her spinning clockwise.

Posted by: Zeke | Oct 12, 2007 2:42:21 PM

14. Is it rigged? She always seems to spin in the same direction, but sometimes has her right leg extended (clockwise) and then sometimes it changes in a millisecond to her left leg (counterclockwise). Or am I just not getting it?

Posted by: GBM | Oct 12, 2007 2:58:05 PM

15. I would love for Bush to follow Chavez's lead in gay marriage, and since ya'll think he's so great, maybe Bush should install himself as dictator for life, close down the free press and arrest/kill anyone who criticizes him.

Posted by: Hephaestion | Oct 12, 2007 3:00:36 PM

16. The first time I saw the dancer she would only go clockwise but then she started changing direction and I'm not doing shit. I said on another forum that I think she actually randomly changes direction and it has nothing do with what side of the brain you use, but rather if you have functioning eyes.

Posted by: Jason | Oct 12, 2007 3:02:55 PM

17. I can't even force the image to turn counter-clockwise. I don't see how anyone could see that.

I'm not even right-brained, particularly.

Oh, and Zeke, I love your posts. See you at Kos.

Posted by: David H | Oct 12, 2007 3:07:38 PM

18. anti clockwise- left brained..and left handed

Posted by: Dustin | Oct 12, 2007 3:07:43 PM

19. Can only see it counter-clockwise as well. And I am left-handed too.

Posted by: jmg | Oct 12, 2007 3:15:58 PM

20. I only see her going counter-clockwise, can't see her going any other way. I tried and tried and I know I am a homosexual, well at least in theory lately.

Posted by: davefromtampa | Oct 12, 2007 3:17:20 PM

21. Okay, it's rigged. And it does change direction. Right leg extended is always clockwise, left leg extended is counterclockwise.

On another note I feel seasick after looking at it too long.

Posted by: GBM | Oct 12, 2007 3:20:47 PM

22. I assume the good people of Venezuela will adamantly refuse to accept the meager protections of an anti-discrimination law that is not trans-inclusive.

Posted by: 24play | Oct 12, 2007 3:25:04 PM

23. I and my husband see her spin Clockwise, but I can see both directions if I use my peripheral vision and come back to it.

But is there some basis for the analysis? Without a source it seems to have no validity.

Posted by: Gregg | Oct 12, 2007 3:28:04 PM

24. Spinning lady: what if the top half of the lady spins clockwise while the bottom half spins counter-clockwise? I think it might have more to do with the quality of my video card then it does with my brain.

Posted by: jzn | Oct 12, 2007 3:49:14 PM

25. What's the deal with the spinning lady? No matter how hard I tried, she keeps spinning clockwise.

Posted by: Mark_in_Belgium | Oct 12, 2007 4:22:41 PM