Brandon Lloyd | Football (American) | News | Sports | Troy Aikman

Redskins Wide Receiver Resurrects Troy Aikman Gay Rumors

Lloyd_aikman

Washington Redskins wide receiver Brandon Lloyd's remarks about Troy Aikman's sexuality were reprinted on numerous sports blogs yesterday.

Lloyd (above left) was apparently upset about a comment which former Cowboys quarterback-turned-announcer Troy Aikman had made during Saturday's Redskins-Packers game in which Aikman claimed that a pass intended for Lloyd was "tough but catchable".

Aikman's comments apparently irked Lloyd, for in an appearance on a popular sports podcast airing on 106.7 WJFK in Washington, D.C. and relayed to the web, Lloyd resurrected rumors started by sports analyst Skip Bayless in 1996 in his book Hell-Bent, that Aikman is gay.

Lloyd laughs off the exchange, saying "Troy's speculating and I'm speculating." But not before a whole round of speculation about other NFL players occurs. Lloyd is quiet on the other players, but says, "I don't know, hey, I don't know, hey, if those guys want to say something about me I'll have something to say about them, but for now it's about Troy Aikman."

Lloyd presents no solid evidence of anything regarding Aikman, but the exchange demonstrates the difficult atmosphere gay players must face in the NFL. When a player's sexuality is seen as something that can blatantly be used against them is it any wonder none of them are open about it?

The exchange begins around the 7:47 mark. A transcript (courtesy of D.C. Sports blog) follows after the jump.

B-Lloyd "Speculates" About Troy Aikman [d.c. sports blog]
Brandon Lloyd Revists An Old Aikman Rumor on DC Radio [awful announcing]
Lloyd implies Aikman is gay [outsports]
Brandon Lloyd Implies Troy Aikman Is Gay [fanhouse]

TRANSCRIPT:

Junks: I loved seeing that, Brandon, because people say, 'Oh Brandon doesn't care, he's smiling after the game,' and I think how can you say that about a guy who got in trouble for smashing his helmet on the sideline, you know what I mean? It's incongruous, it doesn't even make sense.

B-Lloyd: It's tough. It's a tough, it's a tough, it's a fine line between when a guy's showing passion and when a guy doesn't care, you know what I mean? Some guys take losses differently, some guys are able to smile, that's the way guys get over it. Some guys are pissed off for a couple days or till the next game. Guys take it differently. It's tough. It's so much outside input here. I see why people are confused.

You're listening to a guy like Troy Aikman, and you're a fan and you don't really know much about football, I see why you're confused (laughing). There's no such thing as an easy catch in football, there's no such thing.

Junks: Especially when you laid out like that.

B-Lloyd: You know what I mean? So it's tough, man. And I don't believe Troy Aikman anyway. He wasn't man enough to admit his personal life situation while he was a player.

Junks: Wowwwww.

B-Lloyd: So I have a tough time believing him.

Junks: What do you mean his personal life?

B-Lloyd: And there's nothing wrong with his personal life, you know, I have nothing wrong with, with....

(laughter)

Junks: Do you know that that's true?

B-Lloyd: Hey, I'm speculating too. Troy's speculating and I'm speculating.

Junks: [tumult] You're just throwing him under the....NFL players don't....He's like married....He's just speculating....Are you saying that you know something we don't?

B-Lloyd: No, I'm speculating, just like he's speculating. You guys are crazy. (Laughter)

Junks: You're the one who said it.

Naturally, like any good radio hosts, the Junkies bring the topic back later, as they're going through a history of B-Lloyd's quarterbacks and the name Jeff Garcia comes up.

Junks: Hey, what about what they say about Garcia?

Junks: Garcia's not gay.

B-Lloyd: No, man, Garcia's not gay, he's my homeboy.

Junks: What about that Aikman stuff, what'd you hear about Aikman, for real?

B-Lloyd: Oh you know, you know all those stories....

Junks: What about Kordell?

Junks: Oh definitely.

Junks: That's definitely true, right?

B-Lloyd: I don't know, I heard about that, I don't know.

Junks: What about Yancey Thigpen, I heard Kordell and Yancey Thigpen....

B-Lloyd: I don't know, hey, I don't know, hey, if those guys want to say something about me I'll have something to say about them, but for now it's about Troy Aikman. (laughing)

Comments

1. I'd say this demonstrates less the homophobic atmosphere of the NFL and more the fact that Brandon Lloyd is an idiot who resorted to infantile insults to personally attack someone for a perceived slight.

Posted by: MT | Oct 16, 2007 8:43:08 AM

2. Yeah, I'd agree w/ MT -- slights and innuendoes in response to someone calling him on his actions ON THE FIELD. Idiot, immature, jerk. That is all.

Posted by: tjc | Oct 16, 2007 9:05:07 AM

3. I'm not sure why "tough but catchable" was so unforgivable a remark--how many times have we seen passes go right through players' hands? Is it always the passer's fault? Lloyd is certainly not in a position to know anything about Aikman, he's just being immature. Likewise when he says that Garcia can't be gay "because he's my homeboy". That is, he won't say anything "bad" about his buddies.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Oct 16, 2007 9:19:18 AM

4. Classy.

Posted by: Brian | Oct 16, 2007 11:08:49 AM

5. OMG, I had forgotten just exactly how much just a glimpse of Troy could raise my blood pressure and heart rate. (G)

Posted by: parkerr | Oct 16, 2007 11:41:16 AM

6. Don't watch the NFL, could care less about the comments from whom to whom...All I know is that Brandon Lloyd, whose official website I just visited, has amazing photos of him. Lordy lord!!

Posted by: Shabaka | Oct 16, 2007 12:02:26 PM

7. The Packers-Redskins game was SUNDAY. Generally college football is played on Saturday, pros play on Sunday. The uniforms on Saturday are more interesting, IMHO.

Posted by: WizardBoy | Oct 16, 2007 12:32:26 PM

8. LLoyd, it takes one to know one.
    LL certainly looks like he could be Troy's bitch.
    Maybe daddy Troy should bring out his whip

Posted by: dante | Oct 16, 2007 12:38:12 PM

9. Eh... I'm more offended (but not really) by the guy from WJFK calling Redskins' coach Joe Gibbs' laugh a "gay giddy laugh that [he] can't stand".

That shows more homophobia than Lloyd acting like a child, because he can't handle constructive criticism.

Posted by: RP | Oct 16, 2007 12:41:33 PM

10. If players don't want other players to be able to use their sexuality against them, they ought to preempt the other players and come out as gay! Problem solved!

Posted by: Ryan | Oct 16, 2007 12:46:13 PM

11. Ryan,

I seriously doubt Aikman is gay. Gay men don't typically father children with their wives.

Posted by: RP | Oct 16, 2007 12:48:28 PM

12. "Gay men don't typically father children with their wives."

Well, then, with who? Their mistresses? Seriously, RP, almost every gay man I know of who got married to a woman had kids. Many had them but never married. I guess the key word in your comment is "typically", but there are a lot of gay fathers out there. Remember Jim McGreevey? Hell, I even knew a drag queen that had fathered a child, and ended up with custody! (Although, the bitch was a good father or mother.)

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 16, 2007 1:08:03 PM

13. Hey, Hey, B-Lloyd are you letting your pink mini show by deflecting to another. B-Lloyd is WELL known around gay bars in DC/Balt area. I hear he's a tight end in bed.

Posted by: BoJo | Oct 16, 2007 2:08:00 PM

14. Lloyd seems awfully sensitive. I didn't get any inferences out of Aikman's statement.

Of course gay men father children with their wives. I've known many gay men who had children with wives or former girlfriends. They're gay not sterile. But I don't know anything about Aikman's personal live.

Posted by: Daniel | Oct 16, 2007 2:10:17 PM

15. And I love the idea that someone couldn't be gay because they are his "homeboy".

Posted by: Daniel | Oct 16, 2007 2:11:12 PM

16. Hey Derrick... look up the word "typically"!

Geez!

Posted by: RP | Oct 16, 2007 4:14:46 PM

17. Daniel, just read your comment also, I think you and Derrick are misreading my comment.

I was insinuating that gay men "don't typically" have wives... much less father children.

I thought that was pretty clear, but I guess not.

Posted by: RP | Oct 16, 2007 4:32:59 PM

18. Hey, RP: Look up the word "clarity".

Jehova!

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 16, 2007 4:42:25 PM

19. Hey Derrick, you're what we call a "tool."

Look that up.

It's not my fault if you aren't clever enough to deduce from the context what I was talking about.

Jack ass.

Posted by: RP | Oct 16, 2007 6:11:25 PM

20. Besides, Derrick, you might REALLY want to look up:

BIASED SAMPLE

Your argument is mired in it!

Posted by: RP | Oct 16, 2007 6:19:25 PM

21. RP, I don't have hardcore stats, but lots of bisexual and gay men have wives AND children, or have had them at one time. Bisexuality certainly is compatible with having kids and a wife, and we know that millions of men who have sex with men have or had wives and children. Moreover, in ethnic communities, the norm is that men who have sex with men also have sex with women, often fathering children. A study of men in New York City last year found that the majority of men who have sex with men also had sex with women and did not consider themselves gay. It's call being bisexual or being on the DL.

Posted by: Lucas | Oct 16, 2007 8:02:17 PM

22. Thank you Lucas. I wish to add the phenomena cuts across socio-economic barriers. I grew up in a wealthy suburb of DC. At least 3 male parents of my or my sibling's classmates had children but later came out of the closet. One was a well-known MD and the other 2 C-level executives.

Posted by: Fin De Fichier | Oct 16, 2007 10:59:39 PM

23. Lucas,

First of all, I was referring specifically to Aikman. I was pointing out my reasoning for doubt to the rumors he is gay (or even bi). I was talking about the fact that Aikman married the Cowboys' publicist and has two biological children with her.

Second off, I said "typically." There is a difference between "ever" and merely "typically".

Posted by: RP | Oct 17, 2007 4:22:06 AM

24. Just so you know folks - this "rumor" is TRUE from a report from a trusted friend from Texas.

He was visiting a bi-divorced friend and Aikmen came on the TV and the friends 6 year old asked why "Uncle Troy" was on TV.

The friend then admitted that he and Troy had been fucking around.

Not a rumor - I think he is married now - so Troy could be Bi - lots of men are.

Posted by: RJP3 | May 4, 2008 11:43:08 AM

25. Troy is definitely gay. I used to see him all the time in the crossroads bars. He even bought me a few drinks at JR's.

Posted by: chris | Dec 6, 2009 5:45:24 PM