Anglican church | Desmond tutu | Episcopal Church | News | Religion

Archbishop Desmond Tutu: Church is "Extraordinarily Homophobic"

Anglican Archbishop Desmond Tutu, in an interview to be aired Tuesday, slams his own church for focusing, shamefully, on homosexuality. It's not the first time he has expressed such a disappointment.

TutuSays Tutu: "Our world is facing problems - poverty, HIV and AIDS - a devastating pandemic, and conflict...In the face of all of that, our Church, especially the Anglican Church, at this time is almost obsessed with questions of human sexuality...God must be weeping looking at some of the atrocities that we commit against one another."

According to reports, he also criticizes Rowan Williams, the archibishop of Canterbury, for failing to demonstrate that the Anglican church's God is one who is all-loving.

Added Tutu: "If God as they say is homophobic I wouldn't worship that God...It is a perversion if you say to me that a person chooses to be homosexual. You must be crazy to choose a way of life that exposes you to a kind of hatred. It's like saying you choose to be black in a race infected society. Why doesn't [Williams] demonstrate a particular attribute of God's which is that God is a welcoming God."

Previously
Archbishop Desmond Tutu Blasts Anglican Church Over Gay Rift [tr]

Comments

1. Amen!

Posted by: Michael W. | Nov 19, 2007 9:19:37 AM

2. Am I the only one left scratching my head at this? Could it be that a religious leader is capable of thinking marginally more rationally than the bleeting herds?

Posted by: Iko | Nov 19, 2007 9:46:56 AM

3. God Bless Desmond; for his peers are deaf and blind.

If more spiritual leaders were like him, the world would certainly be a better place.

Posted by: Rad | Nov 19, 2007 9:51:49 AM

4. So, not all of them who claim compassion are bigots, thanks for be a man of God and willing to stand up for equal rights for ALL humans Archbishop Tutu and for calling out the hate mongers who hide behind the Bible.

Too bad none of the well known alleged Christian "leaders" in this country can't be as bold with the truth.

Posted by: Sebastian | Nov 19, 2007 10:26:44 AM

5. This man has been a personal hero of mine for a long time. One has to wonder what seems to be holding up other religious leaders from following in his footsteps. Just a bunch of hypocrites!

Posted by: Shabaka | Nov 19, 2007 11:01:30 AM

6. I don't hold much with any religion, but I had the privilege of hearing him talk in Sydney years ago. Such a warm, witty man. It's _people_ with his high-minded views and humanity who lead religion, _quite_ independently of the doctrines and practices of their faith.

Posted by: Mike | Nov 19, 2007 11:06:36 AM

7. this kind of thing is exactly the sentiment i try to show my atheist and agnostic friends all the time. the essence of the church is God's love and it is such a perversion to see some church leader's turn Christ's teachings on their head in order to bash gays.

Posted by: Adam Vanderlip | Nov 19, 2007 11:17:24 AM

8. While I myself am an aetheist I think religion can play an important role for many people when it looks like Archbishop Tutu.

And I just have to add that I'm not an aetheist because I hate religion, I simply don't believe in any God and don't need such a belief to behave with kindness and compassion.

Posted by: wetcnt | Nov 19, 2007 12:48:40 PM

9. Adam: Except "the church" and "the Bible" really doesn't have much of a consistent position on anything, except perhaps the abomination of shellfish. Everyone cherrypicks their favourite verses and/or translations and/or interpretations thereof to justify whatever they want. No Christian really believes in "the Bible", just a carefully selected subset of it that conforms to prejudices developed elsewhere.

Posted by: Mike | Nov 19, 2007 12:59:54 PM

10. So even though Christianity is completely stupid, at least we know that not all Christians are completely stupid.

I feel better.

Posted by: Jeff | Nov 19, 2007 5:51:20 PM

11. Truly a hero for his work against apartheid and now standing up to bigotry within his own church. Thank you Bishop Tutu for your positive vision, so rare in the "religious" "leaders" of today.

Posted by: So Left I'm Right | Nov 20, 2007 2:05:38 AM

12. see what happens when people don't make you pope...you turn on them..coincidence??

Posted by: alan brickman | Nov 25, 2007 10:01:47 PM