"Ex-Gays" | Advertising | Belgium | London | Travel

Eurostar Skinhead Pissing Ad a Tempest in a Teacup?

Teacup1

A new ad for the Eurostar train intended to lure tourists from Belgium to London is creating controversy over its rough vs. refined theme. The ad depicts a skinhead painted with the St. George's Cross pissing in a teacup.

The Guardian reports: "The ads are placed on street corners and designed so that passers by see the urinating yobbo first. As they progress around the corner, they see his chosen receptacle. London is so close - especially by Eurostar - is the rationale, and yet so full of surprises."

The ad doesn't bother me but I'm sure The Queen would likely disapprove. In any case, that's some good aim.

Teacup2_2

Related...

Comments

1. LOL, this former Queen, well, only on Halloween, finds the ad gross, but, thanks for a good chuckle!

Posted by: Sebastian | Nov 19, 2007 10:29:04 AM

2. I see what they were going for, but don't think this was the way to do it. Advertising your city's dross is hardly what I'd call a sound marketing strategy, even if you are trying to illustrate diversity.

Posted by: Iko | Nov 19, 2007 10:34:37 AM

3. What a strange ad. It doesn't offend me, but I fail to see how it is in any way enticing, except perhaps to water sports fans.

Posted by: Gregg | Nov 19, 2007 10:37:14 AM

4. Isn't this a play on the Manneken Pis in Brussels (and other towns apparently) which is a statue of a pissing boy? The irony being that in Brussels it's a playful work of art, in Britain's beer-sodden towns and cities it's the kind of sight we see at any weekend.

Posted by: John C | Nov 19, 2007 10:54:00 AM

5. Saw what you will, the queer skinhead has a great aim! Its a brilliant subversive image of 'tough' masculinity that we might associate with British subculture or media representations.

I would have associated such practices (that I've read about LOL) with Paris or Amsterdam, but the advert is claiming London's place for naughtiness - so it's got us all talking about London - classic advert!

Posted by: SeanR | Nov 19, 2007 11:03:23 AM

6. this Queen does NOT disapprove. reminds me of a trick i had once (or twice, maybe even thrice! i've been on the receiving end of such fun and games many a time. I'd just love to be that teacup.

Posted by: the queen | Nov 19, 2007 11:09:51 AM

7. this Queen does NOT disapprove. reminds me of a trick i had once (or twice, maybe even thrice! i've been on the receiving end of such fun and games many a time. I'd just love to be that teacup.

Posted by: the queen | Nov 19, 2007 11:11:12 AM

8. there's nothing even remotely attractive about this.

Posted by: rascal | Nov 19, 2007 11:48:18 AM

9. i'm french, I live in London and I think the ad is just awful, vulgar , not funny at all . I can't believe somebody showed up in the Eurostar PR office with that ...And somebody said: " great , let's put that everywhere!!!".

PS: i m not a boring geek, got plenty of humour , french or english ..But I don't get that ad, period.

Posted by: TAZ389 | Nov 19, 2007 12:37:55 PM

10. You all are drinking chlorinated piss and poop water from some other person's toilet delivered to you via your local water authority and you all are in a tizzy about this ad, and has been shown that the majority of bottled waters are just chlorinated piss and poop water from some other person's toilet via a tap via your local water authority

Oy

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Nov 19, 2007 1:00:48 PM

11. I think they were going to use this for a 'Brownback for President' ad... but of course, we know where that led.

Posted by: kansastock | Nov 19, 2007 1:53:44 PM

12. The ad's not my cup of tea, either---though it probably wouldn't bother me as much if it didn't use skinhead imagery.

Posted by: Paul | Nov 19, 2007 1:54:58 PM

13. I guess that is supposed to be a tearoom. Not a good ad IMHO.

In NYC the public water supply comes from a reservoir system upstate and therefore is not recycled as per JimmyB's suggestion. Longtime no read, JimmyB! (I think it's better than bottled water, though many local pipes are very old with lots of lead solder, etc.)

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Nov 19, 2007 3:29:26 PM

14. what a strange ad. is the general belgian population supposed to identify with a skinhead who has a st. george's cross painted on his back? and what is the image telling them to do? book a train trip to london so you can piss on the english? it's a bit confusing to me, a little offensive, perhaps, but mostly just confusing.

Posted by: bob | Nov 19, 2007 5:51:12 PM