Bill O'Reilly | Election 2008 | Film | Gay Marriage | Lutheran | Magazines | News | Nicaragua | Norway | Playing Gay | Religion | Spice Girls | Superheroes | Taiwan | Van Hansis | Virginia

News: Norway, Spice Girls, Talan Torriero, Gregg Araki, Taipei

road.jpg University of Virginia attempts to deal with anti-gay football chant: "After a Cavalier touchdown, the marching band strikes up what, to an outsider, sounds like 'Auld Lang Syne.' But, to its tune, students and alumni sing the 'Good Old Song,' its lyrics written by Edward A. Craighill in 1895, its mention of all being 'bright and gay' a throwback to when 'gay' meant 'happy,' the line a launching pad for what’s since become a university tradition of negating the word 'gay' with gleeful (often drunken) shouts of 'not gay!'"

Beckham_2road.jpg Spice Girls lipsync their way through Victoria's Secret fashion show.

road.jpg Is Laguna Beach's Talan Torriero the next Aquaman?

road.jpg Norway's Lutherans vote to allow clergy in same-sex partnerships to serve: "The compromise decision reflected the realization that the church may have to live with a deep split over the issue. After an anguished week of debate at its annual meeting, the church's 86-member governing synod voted 50-34 to make the change. Two members abstained. The meeting, which ended Friday, was held in the town of Lillehammer. The decision means that six of Norway's 11 bishops are likely to open the pulpit to gay clergy in partnerships. In a vote earlier in the year, those six bishops voted in favor of easing the ban. The church already allows gays to serve in the clergy as long as they are not living in a homosexual partnership."

road.jpg Amherst College students apologize to five Hampshire College students who "were allegedly called names, threatened, spit at and were blocked from leaving the dorm" following a gay party at which they were guests: "Dozens of students gathered outside Valentine Dining Hall at the college yesterday carrying signs that said 'We're Sorry Hampshire' and "I don't want to be 'tolerated.' They also asked passers-by to sign a banner that said 'Please Come Back.'"

road.jpg IndieWire chats with filmmaker Gregg Araki about his film Smiley Face. We previewed a couple John Krasinski stills from the movie in October.

Atwtroad.jpg AfterElton talks to Van Hansis and Jake Silbermann about their gay storyline as Luke and Noah on As The World Turns. Hansis: "My parents are so proud of me it sort of embarrasses me. My mom cried on the red carpet at the Emmys this year when she was asked about how she felt for her son to be nominated. It was actually really nice. It’s great to see your parents so proud of your accomplishments. Both my parents now go through the soap magazines at the grocery store and point to pictures of me and tell the cashier 'That’s my son!' They are generally busy during the day so I think they watch the show online. But they have always been my biggest fans and I couldn’t ask for anything more."

road.jpg From the just-don't-get-it dept: Taipei restaurant gives a completely new meaning to potty-mouthed.

Advocateroad.jpg Esteemed design group Pentagram takes a look at the redesigned Advocate: "Today gays and lesbians are no longer an ignored minority, and the younger generations have experienced a saturation of media both from and about the community. Activism, while still important, is less in the mix, and issues like gay marriage, medicine and civil rights have shifted to the mainstream press. At the same time, the circulation of newsweeklies is changing as news and information is more readily available online. The magazine’s redesign reflects these transformations. The new Advocate is modern and vibrant while continuing to confront politics and difficult LGBT issues. Impressively, it manages to successfully straddle the line between opinion leader and entertainment magazine without losing its journalistic integrity and with a tone that is sophisticated, but not frivolous."

road.jpg Rod McCullom on HuffPost: John Edwards and Barack Obama make mistake of repeating Republican talking points to attack one of their own. "...something funny happened to Senators Edwards and Obama on their way to Las Vegas. Maybe the high-roller suites have complimentary testosterone and egos on the pillows, or, possibly they bumped into Elvis, who told them, "A little less conversation and a little more action." They lost their mojos. Instead of throwing the hungry audience sound bites that were wrapped in juicy, red meat, the two candidates tossed stale, Republican talking points at frontrunner Hillary Clinton and the audience booed and hissed."

road.jpg Without fanfare, Nicaragua drops anti-sodomy laws: "In adopting a new national civil code on Monday, the Nicaraguan National Assembly sidestepped the longstanding law that penalized sodomy between members of the same-sex with up to five years in prison by overwhelmingly voting to approve a new civil code that simply did not mention it."

road.jpg Bah Humbug: The Bill O'Reilly Christmas Store is now open!

Comments

1. I graduated from the University of Virginia 15 years ago, and somehow (very drunkenly) attended a few football games with my "straight" buddy. Whenever people did that "not gay" crap I would yell at them to shut the fuck up. They were properly chagrined. It's an old-school institution, but the students are bright, and I never had any problems being a very visible queen there.

Posted by: Paul | Nov 16, 2007 2:14:08 PM

2. on the debate

December 17th 2003 primary season

Dean ahead by double digits

Kerry at only 4% behind Al Sharpton's 5% and in 5th place in the polls. not even top 3

LOL

No supporter of any of the candidates should declare anything or be happy about anything till after the actual primaries take place

Dean ended up distant 3rd in iowa and Kerry at 5th place 4% in the polls this same time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! last primary ended up our nominee

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Nov 16, 2007 2:20:56 PM

3. Um, esteemed design group Pentagram DID the redesign of The Advocate, so their gushing appraisal should probably be taken with a grain or two of salt.

Posted by: 24play | Nov 16, 2007 2:26:08 PM

4. Oh, Jesus Fucking Christ! What dizzy "post gay" sweater queen at Pentagram got a blowjob from a PlanetOuter to write such ridiculous crap both about the State of Gay and "The NON-Advocate"?

"issues like gay marriage, medicine and civil rights have shifted to the mainstream press"???? Only as PROBLEMS to be debated with religiofascists not a priori rights, you 'tard! Our humanity is still as debatable to them as the existence of UFOs. The rest of the time we don't exist for them! With rare and brief exception, MSM totally ignored the Obama-McClurkin disaster, and, now, are touting him again as a rising threat to Hillary without any mention of the huge hit he took among LGBT supporters, including a MAJOR out gay fundraiser dumping him for Clinton, and her endorsement by H. Alexander Robinson, executive director of the National Black Justice Coalition who had begged Obama to dump McClurkin.

NOTHING in the Dem debate last night about any LGBT-specific issue. And MSM still misrepresents Giuliani as a "pro-gay candidate."

"The Advocate," adding idiocy to insult, blamed readers for not including gay icon Frank Kameny among their recent 40 heroes over 40 years cover story just months after having to publicly apologize to him for having printed his obituary. MEMO TO THE ADVOCATE: Frank Kameny Still Not Dead!

MEMO TO PENTAGRAM: You may be "esteemed" in design circles but you don't know shit from Shinola about the gay community and its politics!

Posted by: Leland Frances | Nov 16, 2007 2:28:39 PM

5. I wonder how people might feel if every time we heard "and the home of the brave" in the star spangled banner, some students shouted "NOT BRAVE!".

Though I certainly don't feel that way, I think there'd be considerably more outrage than the "NOT GAY" chant gets.

Posted by: Wes | Nov 16, 2007 3:20:09 PM

6. Leland,

I hope you send that to them.

Posted by: Tread | Nov 16, 2007 4:55:50 PM

7. why would a so-called "esteemed" design firm proclaim such an obvious lack of creativity by utilizing an exhausted graphic gimmick ...joining the words THEADVOCATE was a trendy thing to do in 2001... THEADVOCATE does not look relevant, original or informed.

Posted by: A.J | Nov 16, 2007 8:13:46 PM

8. Fact is: The magazine was redesigned by major player at Pentagram; why they should be commenting on the "culture" of gay people is a mystery.

Posted by: randy | Nov 16, 2007 8:35:44 PM

9. The Advocate will vanish from store shelves when it goes belly-up (which can't be that far away) so we won't ever have to discuss it again.

Can I hear a "Hallelujah" from the congregation?????

Posted by: PDQ | Nov 16, 2007 9:35:39 PM

10. Wow. As an aging bitter queen and activist (I'm 45!), I totally have to agree with these previous posts about The Advocate and its contrived makeover. I hope Luke and his team shot a huge load after jacking off all over themselves for their good job (on their own website!). "Aren't we just so fucking brilliant?"

There isn't any word for such pathetic self-indulgent lameness. I've been around long enough to watch these 'cutting edge' and 'daring' graphic designers take Helvetica and blow it up and strip down the graphics and act like they invented gravy or something. People are getting info online. I haven't seen anybody read an Advocate or Out in more years than I can remember.

Posted by: bruno | Nov 16, 2007 10:08:02 PM

11. Guess I'm weird in that I think we should support the gay media, warts and all, but I'd be more inclined to defend The Advocate and LPI if I were actually receiving the issues for which I've paid.

Haven't received one in two months and their "customer service" people are [shrug] "Sorry, we'll extend your subscription but that's all we can do." Thanks, guys. (Yet they can manage to send me a renewal offer every two weeks! Go figure.)

Posted by: JohnnyL | Nov 17, 2007 10:54:16 AM

12. That quote by The Advocate is shocking.

It's part of the reason I haven't tuned in the gay community news for a while: to avoid grating nonsense like that.

Posted by: anon | Nov 18, 2007 1:46:59 PM