Hockey | I'm Not Gay | Jiri Tlusty | News | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

NHL Toronto Maple Leaf Rookie Jiri Tlusty: "I am Not Gay"

Jiritlusty

Following the publication yesterday by a Canadian gossip site of photos of 19-year-old Toronto Maple Leaf rookie Jiri Tlusty tonguing another man along with a provocative suggestion that he was ready to come out of the closet, the Czech ice hockey player wrote into the site saying he thought the post was "funny" and he didn't care.

Said Tlusty: "I am not gay or bi nothing."

Tlusty says he was just having a bit of fun with a friend after his birthday and a night out on the town. Of course, that didn't stop the site from pursuing their investigation a bit further (NSFW).

The whole incident should serve as some sort of guerilla tie-in with the upcoming movie Breakfast with Scot. After all, actor Tom Cavanagh had no qualms about kissing a man. Given that they allowed their logo to be used for the film, the Toronto Maple Leafs are, unofficially, the most gay-friendly team in professional hockey.

JIRI TLUSTY SPEAKS TO ITH... [is this happening?]
Welcome To The NHL, Kid [deadspin]

Comments

1. he's all semi and shaved and s#^t. but not gay. no way.

Posted by: rascal | Nov 8, 2007 3:36:28 PM

2. If that's gay then all 19 year old men are gay. This picture looks no different then any other my space of face book page.

Posted by: Littlebigman | Nov 8, 2007 4:07:55 PM

3. I disagree Little. I'm not saying he's gay, he probably isn't but the tongue thing isn't something you see on straight guy Facebooks or Myspace pages often. Girls, on the other hand...

Posted by: Jorge | Nov 8, 2007 4:34:17 PM

4. He's 19 and "knows nothing about the homosexual"? Darling, I don't know which Toronto you live in but the one I'm in is pouring queens like never before...Talk about denial!

Posted by: Shabaka | Nov 8, 2007 4:35:40 PM

5. Straight men don't have to say, "I'm not gay." For example:

Have you ever heard Clint Eastwood say, "I'm not gay"?
    Have you ever heard Bill Clinton say, "I'm not gay"?
    Have you ever heard Ray Romano say, "I'm not gay"?

When a man is 100% straight like the above, they don't have to say, "I'm not gay."

Posted by: Hollywood Dave | Nov 8, 2007 4:45:15 PM

6. he has a small and ugly weiner, how disappointing.

Posted by: kenji | Nov 8, 2007 4:54:55 PM

7. This new generation of gay friendly heterosexual male is our greatest ally. Why can't the gay community be more hospitable instead of testing their heterness. Why can't people accept their gay friendliness and leave it at that?

Posted by: UAFA NOW | Nov 8, 2007 5:05:59 PM

8. I've seen more comfortable male-male contact between straight guys in a mainstream bar than I have seen between gay guys in a gay bar. The straight guys will put their arms around each other, play with each other's hair, hug each other etc etc. The gay guys all look like frozen dummies waiting for someone - anyone - to pick them up.

Posted by: jack | Nov 8, 2007 5:37:24 PM

9. How did they get photos from his camera phone? That seems like an extreme invasion of privacy. Especially since, as noted, his cock isn't too pretty.

I understand why some men shave their chests, but the younger generation's interest in shaving their public hair as well (at least based on clips I've seen from the HIDEOUS Guys Gone Wild) baffles me. I think it's creepy.

Lots of 19 year old straight males get flirty when they're drunk. Young people today are very gay friendly. I've no idea if he's gay, but none of the pictures suggest it to me. And it's not really my interest or business.

Posted by: Paul | Nov 8, 2007 5:42:16 PM

10. Jack, you're obviously going to the wrong bars. I agree that there are plenty of str8's out there who don't mind hugs and pats and things, so this could be a case of mistaken sexual identity. Mouth-to-mouth kissing, though, would be rare in the str8 world.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Nov 8, 2007 5:46:05 PM

11. Anon, that might not be so true if they were, say, on Ecstasy. I've kissed quite a few otherwise straight guys when on that. (This was many years ago.)

Also, these pictures really aren't showing any mouth to mouth kissing. And in any case, he's European (Czech), where social kissing is far more common.

Posted by: Robert | Nov 8, 2007 6:11:27 PM

12. "This new generation of gay friendly heterosexual male is our greatest ally".

It seems that being gay friendly and what essentially appears to be mocking of gay people or gay relationships, are confused. Playing a little sexual ambiguity game for your own amusement does nothing to have gay people taken seriously - quite the opposite. The best thing straight people can do to be allies, is to get out of the way, imnsho.

Posted by: Brandon | Nov 8, 2007 6:21:55 PM

13. oh, and for the record, his penis is not ugly at all. What's wrong with some of you?

Posted by: Patrick | Nov 8, 2007 6:23:43 PM

14. "Also, these pictures really aren't showing any mouth to mouth kissing"

Correct. Tongue to tongue kissing.

Posted by: Brandon | Nov 8, 2007 6:34:36 PM

15. "Have you ever heard Clint Eastwood say, "I'm not gay"?
    Have you ever heard Bill Clinton say, "I'm not gay"?
    Have you ever heard Ray Romano say, "I'm not gay"?"

No but then I've never heard anybody call them gay either least of all in the media so... Maybe I am alone here but it seems to me if you really are not gay it's perfectly within your rights to speak up when others claim differently.

Posted by: Giovanni | Nov 8, 2007 7:41:25 PM

16. I applaud straight guys who don't feel they have to placate people by not saying whether they're straight or not. I hate those who try to be cutesy because they think the gay community will be offended. If you are straight, then why *shouldn't* you say it. You can't appease everybody.

Posted by: Wayne | Nov 8, 2007 8:24:13 PM

17. Do gay men start making out with women when they are on ecstasy or drunk? I'm too old for the rave scene to know. It's very cute how they are sorta holding hands in the photo.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Nov 8, 2007 9:41:53 PM

18. Anon, the answer (at least for me) is Oh god yes. If I'm in the right mood, I will suck face with anyone attractive, male or female. I love kissing.

Note that I always thought the rave scene was ridiculous, I've never slept with a woman, and am not bisexual. The women I've kissed have all known that. Though it hasn't happened for a while, I would never mind kissing a beautiful woman. But it stops precisely there.

It's all about refining technique and just having fun.

And Brandon, their tongues are not remotely touching.

Posted by: Paul | Nov 8, 2007 9:58:49 PM

19. Paul, for a very long time a lot of hockey players have shaved their pubic region. It's not at all uncommon, or just in this current generation.

And, for everyone who said there was, there's nothing wrong with his penis. LOL.

Posted by: Ryan | Nov 8, 2007 11:22:35 PM

20. Oh god, gag me. That does not make him gay. I have plenty of straight friends that horse around this way, and their is not a gay bone in their body. People's sexuality is their own business in the end, so enough said!

Posted by: Edward | Nov 9, 2007 12:08:49 AM

21. Remotely, Paul? You exaggerate. Besides, I'm not only going by what I see, but by what was in the text. He didn't deny it when asked.

Posted by: Brandon | Nov 9, 2007 1:23:29 AM

22. People's sexuality is their own business.Gay or not gay? Important?

http://www.findbilover. All are real gay, bi...

Posted by: Daniel | Nov 9, 2007 1:42:13 AM

23. I honestly don't know how categorically denying that you know "anything homosexual" helps our cause. As for the d_ck, which I hadn't seen before, eww!

Posted by: Shabaka | Nov 9, 2007 10:17:31 AM

24. Anyone who has been in organized sport knows of the sexual tension inevitably present when young men, full of hormones and pheromones play together, undress, shower, etc. They act butch to protect themselves, some go a little beyond in a "I dare you to do the same" mode. Putting your naked pic on the web for the universe to see? Why not while you're young and gorgeous. At the university gym where I go, a lot of guys have shaved pubes in the shower, even the older ones.

That kid seems so normal to me, gay or straight...

Posted by: Chev | Nov 9, 2007 11:11:57 AM

25. My question is.
    Does it matter if he's gay or straight?
    I thought it didn't matter anymore

Posted by: isparkus | Nov 14, 2007 6:29:18 AM