CWA Spokesman to Gay Troops Supporters: “Put a Cork in It”

Via Think Progress comes notice that the 60 Minutes “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” piece really riled up Matt Barber, policy director for cultural issues with the conservative group Concerned Women for America (CWA).

Barber_mattSaid Concerned Woman spokesman Matt Barber to Cybercast News Service: “The military is no place for such radical San Francisco-style social experimentation, especially during a time of war. It’s been the Department of Defense’s long-standing position that to allow open homosexual behavior and other immoral conduct harms unit cohesion and troop morale. I know this to be true from personal experience,” he stated. “I served 12 years in the military. During basic training, one of my fellow recruits was sent home for soliciting sex from other male recruits. The incident was an enormous distraction from our task at hand, which was to learn how to be good soldiers. Instead, recruits were violated, complaints were filed, and our command was forced to conduct a thorough investigation. It was an incredible waste of time and resources, and it definitely harmed troop morale and unit cohesion. If the bleeding-heart lefties over at CBS News and the SLDN really want to do something to support our troops and help the military, they should abandon their attempts to radically alter and undermine the armed forces, pipe down, put a cork in it and let our brave fighting men and women win this war on terror.”

Hear that former Congressman Bob Barr, former General and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff John Shalikashvili, former Defense Secretary William Cohen, and former Republican Senator Alan Simpson?

Matt Barber of The Concerned Women for America wants you to put a cork in it.

Comments

1. johnosahon says

this man looks like a “FULL-BLOWN-TOE-TAPPER”

i should be expecting his scandal any time soon. count down with me, 100,99,98,………

2. Mike in the Tundra says

Spokesperson for Concerned Women for America? That’s a pretty authentic looking drag king. I’ve seen more butch looking ones, but all in all pretty good.

3. Woodroad34 says

Is that why Ms. Barber is so pasty and unmanly looking, because he was told he couldn’t be a soldier-man either? Another spouting, uninformed bigot. No facts, just venal opinions. I understand Cranberry juice cleans the liver, doughboy. Such bitterness. Poor pudgy boy

4. says

so nice to see that he is finding comfort with the Concerned Women for America. i am sure they provide great faghags for a closet case like him.

5. Tyler says

This is the guy that wrote an article defending Ann Coulter after her “faggot” remark concluding that: “When Coulter spoke last Friday, everyone heard the word “faggot.” But if you take her words – abrasive as they were – in their full context, she was apparently just telling the left to back off and bag it.”

Since he is such a fan of hers, why not use the logic she used when Elizabeth Edwards called her…”You’re asking me to stop? You’re asking me to stop? NO!”

And “soliciting sex” does not mean gay, it usually means ridiculous republican closet case…Isn’t that apparent with this whole Larry Craig thing?

6. Mary, Very Late Dowager Queen of The United Kingdom says

What a tosser! Someone forgot to inspect his miniscule hampster ass.

7. Nicole RichTea says

He was probably just pissed off that he wasn’t the one being solicited for sex. I’m sure he’d love for someone to “put a cork in it”.

8. Raze says

Does anyone else see the irony of a fat white man being the spokesperson for “Concerned Women?” That to me says it all about this insane misgynistic, patriarchal, homophobic, hate-filled world we live in.

9. says

Hardened soldiers… put a cork in it…forcing it down our throats…

What is it about American bigots and grossly overheated metaphors?

10. says

I’m willing to bet this is payback for not being one of the male recruits who was solicited all those years ago. I’m sure that harmed his morale all right.

It’s like Shakespeare, as someone said, only stupid.

11. FernLaPlante says

Reading between the lines here, he was distracted by this when he was in the service because all he could think about was “how can I get a piece of THAT G.I. Joe?!”

12. 1♥ says

FYI – for those who wonder why the Concerned Women for America have a male spokesman is because the bible tells them so.
    As an example

1 Corinthians 14:34:
    women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says.

1 Timothy 2:11 -12
    A woman should learn in quietness and full submission
    I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.

13. says

if there wasn’t the stigma that is in place and DADT didn’t exist, there wouldn’t have had to be all of that “investigating.” it created the situation; the situation didn’t create itself.

14. Jonathon says

God, forgive me, but I hate these people.

“During basic training, one of my fellow recruits was sent home for soliciting sex from other male recruits. ”

OK… so what? There is a process for dealing with inappropriate conduct by servicemembers. Does Tubbo McFoottapper really think that ALL gay men would behave in the same way? (Notice that he didn’t say that HE was hit on. Funny, that.)

15. Charles says

Well, just to get away from basically calling the guy a fag, which is immature and gets us nowhere, it could be argued that the military is *the* place for social experimentation-it was integrated faster, more thoroughly and earlier than American society at large and continues to be more diverse than most other settings (you know, like gay bars…) There have also been innovations in communal living, high educational standards, and socioeconomic mobility (the GI Bill). And a lot of times this started during wars. So this guy is just plain wrong. He may be saying “put a cork in it” because he knows that if the military “falls”, society will follow. Which is probably true.

But if calling him names makes you feel better, go for it.

16. Michael Bedwell says

While the issue of having behavioral policies within the military was lightly touched upon a couple of times last night, and I commend Manzella and the SLDN spokeswoman for their performances, not enough is made of the perfect illustration of how the military could [if they wanted to] deal with the issue of homophobia in the ranks.

Ironically, my late friend, Leonard Matlovich, before purposely coming out to sue the Air Force over its antigay policies in a 1975 test case, was, in addition to a Vietnam vet with a Purple Heart, a USAF “Race Relations Instructor.” These classes had been created in 1971 to deal with the racism that still persisted in the military decades after the services had been officially integrated, and that had actually increased due to reactions to the civilian black civil rights movement. Participation in such classes was mandatory. Their goal was, “to maintain the highest degree of organizational and combat readiness by fostering harmonious relations among all military personnel.”

So the model is already there and SLDN et al., needs to be rubbing it in their faces when they claim integration of out gays would fracture the military. In other words, they’re more afraid of a few out gays than they are Al Qaeda, anthrax, landmines, and nuclear weapons.

17. I before E says

Mr. Barber continues his uninformed, pedantic and shrill commentary. CWA? Your support-by-silence of this sad, pathetic twirp surely makes it easy to disregard you entirely. Truly, you should be CONCERNED about the message this Barber (wo)man espouses on your behalf. Does s/he really speak for you?

You cannot be trusted, heard or believed until you remove him/her and start to promote your true message of love, acceptance, and support.

18. says

Charles was correct- the military has been one of the primary forces in societal innovations in the United States. The integration of racial minorities, the push for equality for women, advances in medicine and hygiene, aircraft and automobiles- all changed because of the military. Even such arcane areas as the embalming of the dead (yuck!) developed during the Civil War to allow deceased soldiers to be sent back to their homes.

Sometimes I wonder why people like Mr. Barber spend so much time hating their fellow Americans.

19. says

20. Darren says

Well, I’m sure the CWA realize that 1250 years ago, when women were fighting for the right to vote that they should have shut up, gotten back in the kitchen, and pumped out the chillen..

seriously.. if you call yourselves any org with Women in the title, shouldn’t the face of your org, be, I dunno, a WOMAN?

21. noah says

Why are all of the of the frontline people of this “women’s” group all heterosexual men? Shouldn’t there, I don’t know, be some women in this group who show their faces more often.

This makes this group seem like another cynical Republican attempt to set up a shell organization to push their crap. Last year, they got caught fronting a “black” Republican organization that had no African-American members.

It’s sort of in the same vein as the phony civil rights and environmental “advocacy” organization they put together to persuade people that they are legitimate instead of part of an Orwellian propaganda system.

22. ricardo says

sounds like a similarly bad-script of unproductive garbage that steps aside from real issues — such as this purported story (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/16/washington/16nsa.html?_r=1&oref=slogin)
    whereas my trip to new york and other places seemed to offer up an imbalanced component of the shopping and cocktail bug — it seems some people have stepped up to the plate in the land of make-believe. perhaps, when one has lived in new york, los angeles, or d.c. — the waste is more easily recognized….separate from the contributed LIES!!

23. Ernie says

Dig the endless stream of double entendres, but everything he says is so obviously full of s**t. Like sending Americans off to Iraq wasn’t a social experiment. Like everything the military does isn’t a social experiment. Like there has never been any bad behavior among “brave fighting men and women.” Add in the words “San Francisco,” which are supposed to, what, instill fear in all decent Americans? Actually, the majority of Americans support the idea of gays and lesbians being able to serve openly, and why wouldn’t they? Another case of someone being weirdly over-interested in his “thorough investigation” of homosexuality.

24. Bojo says

I think I slept with this closet case back in the mid-90’s. We met at the Circle Bar and went home to play…if it’s the same guy, he was hotter then and a very big nasty boy. :-) I’d do him again…

25. NIC says

fatty barber is just pissed cuz no “hardened” soldier told him, “squeal! ms. piggy, like i taught you.”

26. oddjob says

“During basic training, one of my fellow recruits was sent home for soliciting sex from other male recruits. The incident was an enormous distraction from our task at hand, which was to learn how to be good soldiers.”

I just LOVE the way she misses the point and gets all pisses about “TEH FAGGGGZZZZZZZ!” without bothering to notice that the problem was open solicitation of sex…………

What an idiot!

27. oddjob says

Because it’s run by some very, very conservative fundies. Tim & Beverly LaHaye are about as out there in the ozone as it gets (before the term “Christian” becomes a complete joke). When your beliefs get that conservative women aren’t to lead men, and since this is a lobbying organization specifically dedicated to changing American culture & politics I’m sure they would not want a woman to be telling American men what to do.

I used to be in a church that followed this line of thinking back when I was an undergraduate student many years ago. The thinking is not new and I’m quite sure the LaHayes share it.

28. Toto says

During my basic training one male from another flight in my squadron “solicited” multiple females in our sister flight, impregnated one female and was discovered with her in the process of having sex by a drill sergeant in the laundry room. Not surprising the girl was discharged and sent home with her new passenger and the guy… recycled back 4 weeks into training so he could ‘learn how to be a good soldier’ all over again. As if obeying direct orders against fraternizing with females, and probably fucking up some chicks future along with that of some unintended kid was not enough.

If anything it would make more sense for heterosexuality to be openly banned in the military. The repercussions are much more serious. What do you get from a bit ‘o’ dick (with protection) in yer bum!? Nothing! Maybe a bit of soarness in yer pooper for a day. The only thing yer giving birth to is a bit ‘o’ loose splatter right down the john. No crying. No slappin’. No child support. Just FLOOOOOOSH….

It pisses me off to no extent the way in which these people use the ‘it IS therefore it SHALL ALWAYS BE’. Every time I hear it I swear Im expecting a chorus of angels to lift through the heavens upon beams golden light.

29. ramal says

Me thinks the Barber doth protest too much. My gaydar reads a 99% from just looking at his photo and my gaydar is almost never wrong. Poor soul.

30. says

Hey,

If only he’d take the cork he’s worn up his arse (protection from any of our numbers he met in the military you see) since his army days and rammed it down his throat, then maybe we would be able to pipe down for a minute.

btw- Concerned Women for America- I think your spokesman may be a plant from an enemy camp…either that, or she’s the best Drag King I’ve ever seen!

If the military throughout history had listened to knob-ends like this dude, historians would be teaching us about Alexander the Extremely Average…

31. Zeke says

Someone should do some research to find out exactly when and where he did basic training and then check the records to see if this incident even took place.

These guys lie like dogs! I don’t believe his bullshit story for one frickin minute!

Start diggin boys and girls. Expose this phoney once again for the lyin, cheatin, homo-obsessed jerkoff he really is.

32. kelray88 says

While I dig reading the weekly updates on Towleroad, I sometimes just can’t stomach the commentary, and increasingly skip it. Case in point: Charles is one of the first in the string (#16) to elevate his comments above name-calling, slander, and juvenile comments about the subject’s physicality, and the next comment – while wittily phrased – suggests he has some religious agenda. What??? Sure, throw some good ol’ gay humor in there, but to provide only comments about how he “looks gay,” about how fat he is, and his imagined offense at not being the subject of sexual advances contributes nothing to the knowledge of those who actually give a shit about fully understanding the topic at hand.

Casting aspersions and vitriol make those commentators no better than Republicans who use personal attacks to squelch deliberate dialogue about any of the important issues facing our country. I, for one, would rather read a reasoned commentary I disagree with than some of the useless name-calling on here.