Iowa | Iraq | News | Republican Party

BigGayDeal.com

Young College Republican Leader Ben Johnson: I'm Not Gay

Ben_johnson

You may remember in mid-November I posted a couple of videos of Ben Johnson, the state chairman of the Iowa Federation of College Republicans, discussing where the young Republican mindset is at today. Via Wonkette comes this letter from Johnson to his young Republican peers, in which he denies being gay (why anyone would possibly think that I have no idea), and also says "If I am not hated by the Democrats, I am not doing my job."

Such lofty goals.

Here are the videos, to refresh your memory:

And here's the letter, via Truth Caucus:

***BEGINNING OF LETTER***

From: “Johnson, Benjamin A”
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 17:41:26

Dear National College Republican Leaders, Chairman and Distinguished officers,

As some of you may or may not have seen, my YouTube interviews have been raising quite a bit of controversy ( and dare I say venomous hatred?) online and in some national media outlets. As my respected colleagues I would just like to personally clarify a few things to you,

1. I am not actually gay, even though the way I dress and talk may betray that fact ever so slightly, ha.
2. Some people are responding angrily in my defense and as I truly appreciate you support please do not stoop to their levels. We are above them in so many ways and I like keeping it that way.
3. Solders in Iraq really do love beef jerky! I have the thank you letters to prove it. I encourage all of you to send them tons of it!

On a small side note, I find it strange that the ever so tolerant and accepting-of-all-lifestyles-Left have no problems calling me every gay-bashing offensive name in the book. Guess it just goes to prove that nothing is offensive or intolerant so long as your insulting a Republican. But none of it bothers me. If I am not hated by the Democrats, I am not doing my job.

Letter continued, AFTER THE JUMP...

Two final quick things,

I am initiating Iowa’s Operation Iraqi Christmas for the fourth year in a row and I would love to encourage all of you to be apart of it. Please visit http://www.anysoldier.com. This site is amazing! It is like a facebook for the US military serving in Iraq, and every solder has their picture up and personal Christmas wish list listed now! It is an incredible way to make an impact in the lives of these armed service men and women who fight for freedom every day. I have my chapters serving about three solders a piece, so Iowa will be sending 91 packages with our CR stickers plastered all over them so the troops know exactly who
is supporting them. I also will be sending a CR poster to every battalion with my email address asking for a thank you picture with our poster, those kind of pictures are priceless for good publicity! Just some Ideas.

Secondly, I would like to encourage all of you to join me for the Iowa Caucuses! Even though actual caucusing is reserved only for Iowa residents, there are plenty of great events going on across the state and I promise you will not be bored, which is rather rare in Iowa. I have the complete schedules of where all the candidates will be speaking during the day as well as VIP invitations from each candidate to their after parties. It would be my honor to have any of you join me for this amazing political experience! So please contact me if your interested!

I just want to say what an honor it has been working amongst such great Americans like yourselves! Thanks for your support and see you all soon!

Benjamin A. Johnson
Chairman
Iowa Federation of College Republicans

***END OF LETTER***

Peace, love, and hair gel.

You may have missed...
Young College Republican Leader: Troops Love Beef Jerky [tr]

Comments

1. I am somewhat appalled that gay websites and gay men in general rely upon antiquated stereotypes to identify people's sexual orientation. There was nothing in that video to identify this dude's sexual orienation. Calling it gaydar doesn't make it any more reliable or acceptable, especially if you are speculating on people's sexual orientation publicly and openly. At any rate, who cares? This guy is not even a public figure.

Posted by: Javier | Dec 3, 2007 12:44:58 PM

2. I'm not gay either, Ben. Now take off your clothes and let me spank you, HARD, for being a fucking Republican.

Posted by: peterparker | Dec 3, 2007 12:46:22 PM

3. You know, stereotypes usually come about for a *reason*....they're almost always true. And if this kid isn't caught in a bathroom sting in twenty years, I'm not gay either.

Posted by: Chris | Dec 3, 2007 12:49:36 PM

4. If you read the first post on Towleroad about Johnson, there was no idle speculation about his sexuality in the actual post. Can't say the same for the comments, tho. Gays call it like they see it.

Posted by: jori | Dec 3, 2007 12:50:07 PM

5. You know, stereotypes usually come about for a *reason*....they're almost always true. And if this kid isn't caught in a bathroom sting in twenty years, I'm not gay either.

Posted by: Chris | Dec 3, 2007 12:50:33 PM

6. Wow, it is nice to have it finally confirmed, from one of their very own young leaders, that the Republicans are only in the business of inspiring hatred. What would Jesus say?

Posted by: Roscoe | Dec 3, 2007 12:55:26 PM

7. I wanna fuck that guy till he's a Democrat.

Posted by: RF | Dec 3, 2007 12:58:00 PM

8. How is it wrong and/or an insult to say someone seems gay?

Posted by: 1♥ | Dec 3, 2007 12:59:58 PM

9. never heard of him.

Posted by: ricardo | Dec 3, 2007 1:02:52 PM

10. Can't listen to the audio (I'm at work), but this dude looks a bit unstraight in motion (to say gay would, of course, be insulting).

Posted by: scientitian | Dec 3, 2007 1:09:25 PM

11. It's pretty sad that this young man thinks the job of a Republican is to get Democrats to hate him. He may not be gay but it sounds like he's sucking Ann Coulters dick.

Posted by: JJ | Dec 3, 2007 1:14:56 PM

12. He's not "actually" gay. An important distinction. He obviously has a "wide stance" on the issue.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 3, 2007 1:18:08 PM

13. what does this mean:

" I am not actually gay"

you are, or you are not. actually mean " i have had countless nights with the same sex, but do not consider myself gay"

basically a craig defination.

Posted by: johnosahon | Dec 3, 2007 1:18:42 PM

14. Why doesn't he just have a neon sign erected over his head that says "I'M NOT GAY". I'm sure that will solve his problem - until, of course, he gets busted trying to pick up some cop in a public restroom, like one of his hypocritical Republican conservative right-wing heroes, Larry Craig. Yeah, they're never gay until someone catches them with a dick in thier mouths. If you can't admit you're gay, Rethugs, how can you fight the terrorists, you bunch of fucking pussies? LOL!

Posted by: Dom | Dec 3, 2007 1:22:45 PM

15. But cha are, Blanche, y'are. Too bad for us. I would vote to let the other team keep him. He is setting himself up for one horrific public outing. First rule of holes: when you are in one, stop digging.

Posted by: rudy | Dec 3, 2007 1:23:45 PM

16. I dunno, to me he just looks like a run of the mill sadistic Aryan dentist.

OMFG!!!! Troops in Iraq LOVE beef jerky!!!!! I can't believe how easy it is to make them smile!!!! Nothing takes their minds off incoming I.E.D.'s or the fact that they're policing a brutal quagmire like some beef jerky!!!! OMFG!!!!!

Barf.

Posted by: FASTLAD | Dec 3, 2007 1:24:09 PM

17. Wow, he may or may not be gay, but he reeks of smug insincerity and is disingenuous to the point that I find him extremely uncomfortable to watch. A whole lot of self loathing going on there I'd say. It's always a shame to see someone with clearly so much potential (good looks, articulate) trying so hard to be something they're not - he just comes off as pious and self serving.

Posted by: Danmac | Dec 3, 2007 1:26:22 PM

18. He keeps mentioning "solders." I'm assuming he means "soldiers," but I'm not certain. Was he soldering something? He did say something about being in college, no?

Posted by: BusyTimmy | Dec 3, 2007 1:29:28 PM

19. 'scuse me, BJ but your freudian slip is showing.

Posted by: sean | Dec 3, 2007 1:33:19 PM

20. I find it funny that he thinks people hate him. My only reaction has been to laugh at him. I find him hillariously stupid.

Posted by: wetcnt | Dec 3, 2007 1:40:06 PM

21. LOL. Watching the video clips made me laugh hysterically. At any moment I felt he was going to break into song. GAY GAY GAY GAY.

Posted by: Josh | Dec 3, 2007 1:45:26 PM

22. "be sending 91 packages with our CR stickers plastered all over them so the troops know exactly who is supporting them. I also will be sending a CR poster to every battalion with my email address asking for a thank you picture with our poster, those kind of pictures are priceless for good publicity!"

This is unbelievable. I support our troops 100% but if I were a soldier, I'd rather no beef jerky at all than to have to take a picture with an NCR poster to give them "good publicity"!

Posted by: Craig | Dec 3, 2007 1:46:05 PM

23. What is it with the subset of political enthusiasts who think that being hated is an appropriate goal? And that it does anything create understanding?

Moron.

Posted by: Dean | Dec 3, 2007 1:47:43 PM

24. I would laugh but his ignorance is so overwhelming that it stops being funny. Support the war by sending beef jerky to the troops? How aqbout supporting the war and the soldiers and enlisting?

Iraq is a war over 9/11 and the WTC? He must be listening to FoxNews.

Tell me that America has forgotten 9/11? That easy to do 1000 miles from the site. Don't try to tell me about 9/11 and what it means when my department went to NYC on 9/11 and we live with the reality that maybe one day we will have to go again.

He is the republican equivalent of a tele-evangelist.

Posted by: Ed | Dec 3, 2007 1:50:39 PM

25. Look, he's a College Republican. Right? So, we automatically no he's a scumbag, unethical coward. College Republicans are gung-ho on everyone else going to Iraq to fight while they sit safely at home smiling, laughing, and enjoying the good life.

Republicans are happy to wrap themselves in the flag, say they support the troops but when it comes to, oh let's say, providing medical care for veterans or armor to protect soldiers (guy's in college and can't spell "soldier"? Shouldn't he be in 5th grade?).

The truth of this creep's character comes down to his desire to have the soldiers pose with his group's poster. He doesn't really care about the troops, only the publicity that his actions generate for him and his cronies. Charity isn't about self-aggrandizement as this ass thinks.

Can anyone imagine Jesus saying, "Hey, be sure to get a snapshot of me healing the sick." "Oh, can you get a close up of the little children eating the bread I divided up to feed the crowd?" "And, folks, can you figure out whom we should hate today to ensure that I get crowned Prince of Peace?" "Should we hate the African-Americans, Native Americans, non-white Latinos, immigrants, poor white folks, or the gays today?" "I'm thinking we should go for broke and issue a fatwa against them all! That way, I'll definitely win Election A.D. 32 for sure!!"

Yep, Jesus would really have been a Republican if he were Satan.

Yep,