Daniel Day-Lewis Dedicates SAG Award to Heath Ledger

Movies:

Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis, “There Will Be Blood.”

Actress: Julie Christie, “Away From Her.”

Supporting actor: Javier Bardem, “No Country for Old Men.”

Supporting actress: Ruby Dee, “American Gangster.”

Cast: “No Country for Old Men.”

Stunt ensemble: “The Bourne Ultimatum.”

___

Television:

Actor in a movie or miniseries: Kevin Kline, “As You Like It.”

Actress in a movie or miniseries: Queen Latifah, “Life Support.”

Actor in a drama series: James Gandolfini, “The Sopranos.”

Actress in a drama series: Edie Falco, “The Sopranos.”

Actor in a comedy series: Alec Baldwin, “30 Rock.”

Actress in a comedy series: Tina Fey, “30 Rock.”

Drama series cast: “The Sopranos.”

Comedy series cast: “The Office.”

Stunt ensemble: “24.”

___

Lifetime Achievement: Charles Durning

Comments

1. says

I think this sums up my feeling about Hollywood and their feelings about reporters and photo hogs.

Saffy (Ab Fab): Well, make up your mind. One minute they’re scum and the next you’re giving them lunch and pouring booze down their throats in the great name of PR!

Hollywood is a bipolar adult that we should just watch the movies as they are entertaining but these award shows are too self-involved to place more and more money and fame at their disposal.

Yeah he dedicated it to Heath, but did he give it to his family or Michelle for her or the child. Nope, he is just as selfish as the rest of Hollywood

2. Rey says

Charles, I think you’re just being contrary with regard to Day-Lewis’ dedication. I’m nowhere near your level of cynicism and I’m one of the biggest critics of those in Hollywood who are shallow.

Besides, Daniel Day-Lewis is about as far from “Hollywood” as you can get.

3. Michael says

As those accepting awards from peers often do, Daniel Day-Lewis acknowleged the accomplishments of others and paid special tribute to one who in his short life as given us some of the most moving performances ever. I think he struck the right tone in his remarks — heartfelt and honest. If Daniel Day-Lewis had announced last night that he was giving his award to Michelle Williams or Matilda, it would have been as ridiculous and embarrassing as Ving Rhames dragging poor Jack Lemmon up on the stage as he did ten years ago when he tried to give Lemmon the Golden Globe award he’d just won. And it would have been just as self-serving, especially since, as DDL acknowleged, he did not know Health Ledger. There would have been nothing generous and everything false about giving the award to Heath’s family — a false sacrifice on DDL’s part, and a gesture that would have done nothing to ease the grief of Michelle and all others who personally loved Heath. The best thing anyone can do for Health’s loved ones is to give them privacy and, as DDL put it, not rake over every detail as so many in the media have already done.

4. John says

Daniel Day Lewis….at last some sanity.
    I live in Sydney, far far away from the madding crowd & sadly i cannot believe what i am hearing & reading about Heath Ledger.And even sadder all of this filth & gutter press is from the U.S.A.
    I am saddened Heath has left,leaving who knows what unfinished but it was his time & anything after that is for his family to know,end of story.Regrettably all of our magazines are filled with this crap as well,i remember a time when they actually had something interesting in them to read.
    Small as his output was,it is memorable.For years Brokeback will be dicsussed & it is an extraordinary performance,no question.But if you haven’t yet seen it & it is available,watch “Candy” a film he made a couple of years ago.Geoffrey Rush stars as well.
    Heath.Rest In Peace.

5. John in U.S. says

After 11 years of a racist, homophobic, and imperalistic government that vigorously supported the George W. Bush regime in America… Australians have very little credibility when it comes to criticizing others.

6. john says

Doesn’t take long for the mud slinging…
    Why do you read something into this that isn’t there?In no way have i attacked anyone personally,i am talking about the press reports,no indivdual person,it just happens to come from the states.So don’t get defensive for no reason.A sad shame you turn it into a political discussion.Unlike you i can take criticism but not the responsibilty for what a government does or doesn’t do!Peace guys.

7. John in U.S. says

(And even sadder all of this filth & gutter press is from the U.S.A.)

All of this fifth & gutter press is from the U.S.A.? Excuse me, but it sounds like an attack to me.

I’m simply sick and tired of this BS about “the American press” mocking Heath Ledger when FOX News is owned by Rupert Murdoch. I’m usually critical of the American media myself, but I’m also wary of this passive-aggressive relationship the rest of the world seems to have with the U.S.

And you made it political when you blamed a specific country for the press reports, suggesting some sort of collective responsibility on our part. You didn’t say “the press converage is inappropriate”, you said:

all of this fifth & gutter press is from the U.S.A.

8. John in U.S. says

Thank you for proving my point. Your sweet 4 word response tells me I didn’t “read something into this that isn’t there” after all. Thanks, again.

9. john says

I simply gave you what you craved for.
    As i said you read too much into something.
    So i didn’t word it as you would have liked,tough.My comments were for the press out of the U.S,not any one individual and not meant to be twisted & turned into a politcal catfight.Something tells me you are somewhat paranoid about the “rest of the world”.
    As i said,Heath,R.I.P.

10. CDM says

One person stood up to the WBC.

Backstage Report: The Battle Over Heath

3:45 p.m. PT: The SAGs honor Heath Ledger tonight. I trust and hope it’ll be as heartfelt as Jason Sedillo’s tribute.

I met Jason outside the Shrine, where I was interviewing a protester who was holding the cruelest sign I had ever seen. It read “Heath in Hell.”

Sedillo stood beside the young woman, Jael Phelps, of the notoriously antigay Westboro Baptist Church, of Topeka, Kansas, with his own sign. It read “I’m sorry for them/R.I.P. Heath.”

Sedillo was sorry. I was inspired.

On Friday night, Sedillo told me, he read that Westboro Baptist was planning to picket the SAGs, Heath and his work in Brokeback Mountain.

Right then and there in Fort Worth, Texas, where Sedillo serves as a church youth minister, the 30-year-old decided to plunk down $800, fly to Los Angeles and show up at the SAGs himself. With his own sign. To say he’s sorry for something he wouldn’t dream of saying himself.

To be honest, Sedillo’s sign wasn’t much of a sign—it was a little dry-erase board, and his message was scribbled in green ink. The passengers in the passing limos probably couldn’t even see it.

“Here’s a guy,” Sedillo said of Ledger, “who didn’t do anything but perform in movies.”

But that was enough. As was Sedillo’s sign.

11. Hephaestion says

Daniel Day Lewis just became a hero to me. His appreciation of that final scene in “Brokeback” tells me that he “gets it,” and almost no straight men do. God bless him.