Connecticut | Crime | News

BigGayDeal.com

Connecticut Man Shot to Death By Christmas Eve "Internet Date"

Police have charged Marcos Mercado (pictured) with murder, felony murder, first-degree robbery and possession of an assault rifle in the killing of a 41-year-old Connecticut man on Christmas eve during what was apparently an "internet date" gone terribly wrong.

MercadoThe shooting took place in Southington, about 20 miles southwest of Hartford, according to the Courant:

"Police believe Mercado killed Szadkowski some time late on Christmas Eve or early on Christmas Day. Szadkowski's partially-burned body was found inside his apartment dec. 26 by police after a co-worker at a Bank of America call center contacted authorities when Szadkowski failed to show up for work...Southington police said information on the victim's computer provided crucial evidence about the online meeting of the two and the plans they made. 'It was decided that Mercado would go over to Szadkowski's apartment for a date and then something obviously went terribly wrong,' department spokesman Sgt. Lowell DePalma said. He said the two apparently got into an argument. Mercado then got an assault rifle out of his car, went back into the apartment and shot Szadkowski in the head, DePalma said. Mercado then set Szadkowski's body on fire, DePalma said. Although there were burns on Szadkowski's body there was no serious damage to the apartment and the fire never became widespread enough to alert neighbors to what was happening."

Mercado, 21, who is being held on $2 million bond, is scheduled to appear in court today.

Man Charged In Southington Murder [hartford courant]

Comments

1. Holy crap. 41 is considered "elderly"? I'm an old man at 44 and didn't even know it.

Posted by: daggerdart | Jan 2, 2008 12:49:00 PM

2. The news report listed the victim as 41 years of age. Why is the header for this story calling him "elderly"?

Posted by: Elderly? | Jan 2, 2008 12:49:11 PM

3. not that I'm sensitive to this or anything... but, ummm since when is 41 considered "elderly"?

Posted by: Steve | Jan 2, 2008 12:50:19 PM

4. Sorry guys. Totally my mistake. I misread the item.

Posted by: andy | Jan 2, 2008 1:01:11 PM

5. With 41 being considered elderly, I guess I shoulld be happy that I'm not Dead! The Hartford Courant article does not use the word elderly, so the question is: Hey Andy, What's up with the word "elderly"?

Posted by: dctopman | Jan 2, 2008 1:02:45 PM

6. haha....this is pathetically funny. A serious story on a murder resulting from an "internet date" and all the comments focus on is the is how the age of 41 relates to the word "elderly."

In logical terms the victim, at 41 years, in the case is the perpetrator's elder who is 21 years of age.

I can't help but jump on the bandwagon too...lol. That headline is just wrong even if I do know a guy who is 43 and is a grandpa. I can tell you this, he's one of hell of a hot grandpa and certainly is not "elderly" by any means.

Sounds to me like Andy may have have a complex about older guys. They been hittin' on ya too much lately, Andy? Or, maybe the coffee this morning was decaf - who knows.

Posted by: Lika Starr | Jan 2, 2008 1:16:37 PM

7. Weeee represent, the ollld folks guild, the...

LOL. Thanks for the correction Andy ;) Happy back-to-work-again-week, everyone!

Okay, so that being said, what a horrible thing to happen, let alone on Christmas Eve! Or it could've been Hannukah, *insert holiday*. Sad :(

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Jan 2, 2008 1:19:08 PM

8. Darn... Now I have to apologize too. Sorry Andy. It happens, but maybe I was right about the decaf. tehe :D

Posted by: Lika Starr | Jan 2, 2008 1:21:09 PM

9. I'm 40 myself, I have no complex about older guys, and I certainly don't consider myself "elderly" so once again, I'm sorry for the error. As for the elderly (whatever number that might be), they can hit on me anytime. I am taken though, so I can't assure a response.

Posted by: andy | Jan 2, 2008 2:07:12 PM

10. How can you be a cold-blooded murderer and have such beautiful eyes? Baby faced bastard. I would never dream of Internet dating, but those eyes could've gotten into my home from off the streets.

As far as the resolved scandal over the use of the word "elderly". Hell, it's better than being called a "bitter old queen". The nerve of that so'n so. As hot as I still am.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 2, 2008 2:32:44 PM

11. How sad, this whole Internet dating is one odd can of worms, and, if, you are going to be doing it, a least have the common sense to meet in a public place. And, try not to drag some trick home the first time you meet them.

Two horrible deaths from online hookups/dates have happened in the last year, Sandy in NY and, now this gentleman.

May they rest in peace, and, their families find solace, and, the creeps that did such a heinous act be jailed for as long as the law allows, which usually isn't much if the victim is gay.

And, as for being "elderly" at 41, in the gay lifestyle, we all know, you are over the hill after 25!!

Posted by: Sebastian | Jan 2, 2008 2:33:05 PM

12. I'm horrified to say I worked with this "kid" and as far as we knew he wasn't gay, I know the girl he was dating for the past year!?!? So all I can think is he was either still in the closet or it was pre med and he didn't like this guy!

Posted by: mc0624 | Jan 2, 2008 4:14:24 PM

13. He probaly isn't gay or even bi, just now an alleged killer, lots of these young guys will hustle gay men for money and never once think that they are gay, and more so if they don't kiss or bottom, they are in it for the money.

Posted by: Sebastian | Jan 2, 2008 4:34:22 PM

14. Here's an interesting update from the local TV station. Not familiar with the website, Adam 4 Adam.

Posted by: KenCT | Jan 2, 2008 6:32:34 PM

15. What's really sad here is that none of you bothered to find out the full name of the victim -- a fellow gay man -- Thomas Szadkowski. Here's more from the Hartford Courant:
    "Little is known about Szadkowski. He had lived in Southington about four years. Szadkowski's landlord has described him as a quiet man who kept to himself and did not cause difficulties. Szadkowski's mother died in 2000 and his father sometime before that. It does not appear he had any siblings, and police have not been able to find any other family members."

So here was a lonely gay man without any known family living in the area, going into a chat room and picking up this young stud, who most likely is a gigolo preying on gullible or desperate guys like this one. Thomas probably turned out to be not as wealthy as the killer would have liked, although I wonder if he took some kind of trophy from the man's rooms as payback. The poster who swooned over the killer's eyes makes me sick -- those eyes may be pretty but they're also very cold.

Posted by: Matt | Jan 6, 2008 6:50:18 PM

16. What's odd is how not one comment has been about how sad internet dating is in general but picking apart either the killer or the victim. Guys, someone died as a result of an internet hookup gone wrong. It wasn't a date cuz dates don't usually involve straight to someone's home to have sex. It was a hookup. How about instead of picking apart details and calling this one a giggolo and that one a lonely 41 year old we learn from it? Meeting people in public. Not inviting someone to your home right away. Being more responsible when it comes to sex in general. That could have been ANY one of us. Seeing a cute guy online and inviting him over. Let's be a lil more selective as to whom we let know our address and get to know a person first.

Posted by: Michael | Aug 9, 2008 10:17:30 AM