Film | News | Terrence McNally | Theatre | Treat Williams

BigGayDeal.com

A Young Treat Williams Puts on The Ritz

Treat1

The 1976 film version of The Ritz, Terrence McNally's mob farce set in a gay bathhouse comes out on DVD this week, and probably feels about as dated as these screenshots look, although watching a 25-year-old Treat Williams parade around in a towel onscreen flexing for an hour and a half may be enough to satisfy the less discriminating viewer.

The Ritz, of course, recently had a short revival on Broadway, and featured towel-clad film star Ryan Idol and model Justin Clynes, among others.

Treat2

More Treats AFTER THE JUMP...

Treat3 Treat4

Treat5

You may have missed...
Genre Puts on The Ritz [tr]

(image source)

Comments

1. Ah yes, sweet memories of a childhood crush on Treat Williams.

Posted by: sam | Feb 1, 2008 10:15:50 AM

2. ME TOO! ME TOO, SAM!

Early 80s, late nights and HBO before programming directors were in a stranglehold by big studios.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Feb 1, 2008 10:44:20 AM

3. Yes, thanks. I always considered Williams a treat.

Posted by: scioto | Feb 1, 2008 11:20:29 AM

4. oh honey, THE RITZ is one of my all time favorites, a great gay comedy with a fabulous cast: F. Murray Abraham, Rita Moreno as the divine Googie Gomez, Jerry Stiller, Jack Weston, Kaye Ballard, Paul B. Price as the chubby chaser -- if you haven't seen it, don't miss it!

Posted by: the queen | Feb 1, 2008 11:25:41 AM

5. I love this film, I know it is goofy, mindless and dated but then again so am I. I can't wait to buy the DVD.

Posted by: davefromtampa | Feb 1, 2008 11:38:07 AM

6. Ah, how wonderful to see what passed for gay cheesecake!-- before the cult of muscle turned the ideal physique into something that resembles a condom stuffed with walnuts. Were we ever so innocent?

Posted by: christopher | Feb 1, 2008 11:38:19 AM

7. I find myself quoting this moving all the time, even though no one knows what I'm talking about.

This is the funniest Rita Moreno has ever been. Everything's coming up RRRRRRoses and Daffodils!

Posted by: Trigby | Feb 1, 2008 11:49:14 AM

8. I remember Treat Williams in "Prince of the City" he was great. I thought he was going to be as big as Pacino and DeNiro. Didn't he play Stanley Kowalski to Ann Margaret's Blanche Dubois? I could google it, but I don't feel....

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Feb 1, 2008 11:55:34 AM

9. You've got to see this version of the Ritz for one special reason and she's totally underused in the film. KAY BALLARD.

Posted by: jim | Feb 1, 2008 12:53:17 PM

10. While I, too, had a crush on Treat Williams, the treasure of the movie is Rita Moreno.

Posted by: Kenneth | Feb 1, 2008 2:07:12 PM

11. Derrick, you're right. Treat was in a TV Streetcar.

I crushed on him hard when he played Berger in 'Hair.' I thought he made a sexy hippie boy.

Posted by: basis4insanity | Feb 1, 2008 5:36:34 PM

12. "Think of a bitch!"
    "What bitch?"

If you haven't seen the movie, you'll have no idea why this is hysterically funny. Just trust me.

Posted by: Dback | Feb 1, 2008 7:20:51 PM

13. I love that movie. Googie is the Diva!

Posted by: Scooter | Feb 1, 2008 9:20:08 PM

14. Do not miss the chance to see him (also shirtless) in the wildly entertaining wildly underrated musical HAIR.

Posted by: Strepsi | Feb 3, 2008 7:20:05 PM