Kathy Griffin | News | San Francisco | Sydney

Tales from Air New Zealand's 'Pink flight' to Sydney

Griffin

And yes, that is Kathy Griffin running down the aisle of the plane in a bra.

Advocate film critic Kyle Buchanan's account of the gayest flight ever.

With photos.

Previously
Pink Flight: Gayest Airline Flight Ever Takes Off [tr]

Comments

1. Oh God! Somebody shoot me! Can it be possible that I'm the only gay man who finds Kathy Griffin annoying, unfunny, shallow, insipid and the perfect excuse for the legalization of bludgeoning? Jesus Christ, if it's not that twat Madonna, every gay man on earth is supposed to lick the untalented ass of THIS ditz!
    Once again, large amounts of gay men prove themselves to be ultimately tasteless, dumb and ready to embrace any pop culture trash that comes out of La La Land.
    Here's a tip, guys. Turn off E Television and read a fucking book.

Posted by: Edmund | Feb 29, 2008 4:12:19 PM

2. somebody forgot to take their happy pill today

Posted by: dave | Feb 29, 2008 4:17:41 PM

3. amen edmund. your're peachin to the choir..stuck on an airplane with Kathy Griffin is my idea of a nightmare, up there with dinner with Deborah Norville. Just glad u said it first.

Posted by: davey | Feb 29, 2008 4:18:04 PM

4. Are you implying that people who like Kathy Griffin don't also enjoy literature and the arts? Because god forbid we have diverse tastes.

Posted by: Desideratum | Feb 29, 2008 4:23:26 PM

5. I love Kathy Griffin. I also love a good book. The beauty of the world is that you can have one without the other, or you can have both. I don't understand people who feel like one or the other is being forced upon them. To complain about it simply seems an excuse to unload all the self-loathing parts of oneself onto others.

I don't understand or like opera, but I certainly don't bash those who do. It seems simple-minded and rather close-minded to do so.

Posted by: eddie | Feb 29, 2008 4:25:50 PM

6. That sounds like a truly miserable experience.

Posted by: Kyle | Feb 29, 2008 4:27:15 PM

7. Wow. A lot of anger here at something quite harmless.

Posted by: friday | Feb 29, 2008 4:38:27 PM

8. miss kathy certainly doesn't need me to defend her, i'm sure she can speak for herself, but what i most like about her is that she is on the joke that celebrity culture is and plays it for all it's worth... and yes, i'm a bookworm too ...

Posted by: the queen | Feb 29, 2008 4:41:23 PM

9. Can you say "underbooked".....lot's of empty seats.

And Edmund I'll be glad to shoot you - just give me your address. One less blowhard preaching about how tasteless and dumb the rest of us are for liking something or someone you yourself don't.

I would take fun likeable Kathy Griffin over your miserable unlikeable ass anyday.

Posted by: Derek | Feb 29, 2008 4:43:20 PM

10. Pogo is right! "we have met the enemy, and he is us!!"

Posted by: MiKEM | Feb 29, 2008 4:53:22 PM

11. Eddie you said it perfectly.

I would have to guess Edmund is a bit unhappy in other areas of his life to complain about something so simple so viciously.

So take your pills now Edmund and go read "Being Your Own Individual For Dummies".

Posted by: Derek | Feb 29, 2008 4:55:03 PM

12. i can see how some people would find Kathy annoying, but she's not exactly the antithesis of culture and education. her entire act is based on exposing the ridiculousness of celebrities. half the time i don't know who she's talking about, but i still think she's hilarious and pretty smart.

of course, you don't see me signing up to be on a trans-pacific flight with her and a bunch of circuit-party-bound "scene gays," but i think the obsession with the party scene is much more troublesome and concerning than the obsession with Kathy.

i was pretty surprised how tame the description was of how the plane ride turned out. kind of sad that on this underbooked flight, the people interviewed gave the cheaper cost as their reason for booking.

Posted by: humanist | Feb 29, 2008 5:08:48 PM

13. Lighten up, bitches!

Posted by: ME! | Feb 29, 2008 5:18:53 PM

14. I'm really surprised the flight wasn't more full. Frankly I think those Australian drag queens scared people off. Most drag queens should be taken in small doses. I bet most people assumed (I certainly did) that it would be an all-night party, with no down time.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 29, 2008 5:24:56 PM

15. I'm really surprised the flight wasn't more full. Frankly I think those Australian drag queens scared people off. Most drag queens should be taken in small doses. I bet most people assumed (I certainly did) that it would be an all-night party, with no down time.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 29, 2008 5:25:04 PM

16. Although I love my Kathy Griffins, I am absolutely mortified that she would run down the aisle of the airplane in her bra. Doesn't she know that blocks the drink cart from coming through?

Posted by: basis4insanity | Feb 29, 2008 6:04:14 PM

17. I can't imagine being on a flight to Australia with that annoying chick. I'd pray for a crash! I'm with the last dude who commented.

Posted by: Steven | Feb 29, 2008 6:09:11 PM

18. DEREK,

i thought you were dreadful before, (why? cuz you disagreed w/me) but you are clever on this thread.

Posted by: nic | Mar 1, 2008 1:19:05 AM

19. Nic,

And here I thought you were a total bitch before but now just think of you as a bitch.

I'm kidding - ;)

But I am still waiting for your address Edmund...

Posted by: Derek | Mar 1, 2008 12:34:42 PM

20. Like most reviewers who have been given a free pass to do something . . . I can't tell if the guy in the article had a good time or not!

Forced fun usually isn't.

Posted by: Br!on | Mar 1, 2008 4:51:57 PM

21. I created this flight as Travelcentre Manager Newmarket. The airline fired me soon after the first flight in year 2000. And yes I am surprised at all the empty seats. Was their a drinks room? Hey celebrity or not we are all human and need to let our hair down...or take our top off! cheers from the creator

Posted by: John Armstrong | Mar 1, 2008 7:31:09 PM

22. Underbooked? As you know, whenever you get a bunch of gay men together-- only HALF the seats get FILLED at any given time.

Ha!