Colin Farrell | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

Colin Farrell Addicted to Baths with Strange Russian Men

Colinfarrellshirtless

The Daily Mail reports: "Hollywood hellraiser Colin Farrell has admitted he is hooked on taking Russian-style steam baths while covered in honey. The star, who kicked a deadly drug habit, found his new addiction while filming in New York. He was a daily visitor to the 10th Street Russian and Turkish Baths where guests are smothered in honey before steaming."

Said Farrell: "There's something very basic about rubbing honey on your skin and going steaming with a bunch of strange Russian men."

previously
Colin Farrell to Serve as Best Man at Gay Bro's Civil Partnership [tr]
Colin Farrell is one of New York's Finest [tr]

Comments

1. Should he ever need anyone to lick the honey off prior to steaming, I'll be there for him.

Posted by: Jeff | Mar 3, 2008 2:14:48 PM

2. Too sweet for me. I'll take the post-steam sweat!

Posted by: Gary | Mar 3, 2008 2:22:53 PM

3. Don't get the appeal of Colin Farrell.

Also, I'm kind of tired of the silly inferences like this. Farrell is not gay; why bother to use headlines that imply otherwise? It's like the same thing with Pete Wentz and Seth Green. Very lame.

Straight guys are straight guys. Some are allies; others aren't. But this sophomoric implication that because a guy does something remotely non-stereotypically manly or macho makes him gayish seems retrogressive. It doesn't really add anything to the culture.

Frankly, I wonder how this kind of innuendo adds subtly to the climate of homophobia. By questioning Farrell's taking a steam bath and his heterosexuality, isn't that saying that there was something strange or wrong with his actions?

My apologies for griping. I think it's just inane tabloid headline fatigue.

Posted by: noah | Mar 3, 2008 2:25:47 PM

4. Who's questioning his heterosexuality Noah? Frankly I think straight guys like Ben Affleck and Jimmy Kimmel do more to stoke homophobia with their 'fucking' video and its stereotypes than objectifying a straight man for his beauty or simply pointing out (which I think this post does) when a straight man puts himself into a sort of 'gay' situation. If it makes you uncomfortable I'd tend to say you're bringing something to it rather than taking something away.

Posted by: nick | Mar 3, 2008 2:40:58 PM

5. Nick, thank you. I felt like I was the only one who felt that way. I am usually the first person to say "lighten up",its just fun. I thought it was highly offensive.
    As far as Colin Farrell goes,my brother got married at the Biltmore in AZ a few years ago and Colin Farrell was staying there. Everytime we turned a corner,he seemed to be there. He reeked of stale cigarettes.

Posted by: CB | Mar 3, 2008 2:48:53 PM

6. LOL... I didn't for a second get the gay inference. I thihk with Farrell, you'd have to try REALLY hard to see it. The guy doesn't have a gay bone in his body. He is, however, extremely comfortable in his (honey-scented) skin and very gay friendly. His brother, who is he very close to, is gay. Colin is best man at his upcoming weding.

Posted by: Jeff | Mar 3, 2008 2:57:02 PM

7. I wonder if Colin stays covered in honey the whole time, or if it gets licked off by Russian bears?

Posted by: cb | Mar 3, 2008 3:41:28 PM

8. LOL @ CB.

GRRRRRRR!

Posted by: banjiboi | Mar 3, 2008 4:38:43 PM

9. LOL @ CB.

GRRRRRRR!

Posted by: banjiboi | Mar 3, 2008 4:40:04 PM

10. What's gay about going to a Russian/Turkish Bath?. Anybody that thinks that is gay is sick. Not a frikking gay think goes on in the Russian/Turkish Baths. It is not like the St. Marks or Metropolitan Bath. There is nothing sexual in those russian bodies unless you are a real sicko. It is nice, though. The treatment is great y afterwards you feel real clean and perhaps purified. But sexual, hell no.

Posted by: Oscar | Mar 3, 2008 6:32:15 PM

11. hi all guys...
    I'm new here...
    I'm italian..22(after this small introduction)...I just wantd to ask if any of you knew somethin about jude law jonathan rees meyers and hayden christensen rumored-pretended-supposed and(by me)hopped BI-SEXUALITY...
    THANKS IN ADVANCE

Posted by: milo tindle | Mar 3, 2008 7:52:05 PM

12. Hi Milo.....you'll find that some of the posters here believe that ALL hot, young, well built Hollywood actors are gay, bi or closeted. And NOTHING will deter them from those thoughts.

But, enjoy the blog, it's the best.

Posted by: Joshua | Mar 3, 2008 9:04:46 PM

13. Dear God! Where am I?

Posted by: Sean | Mar 4, 2008 4:18:00 PM

14. "What's gay about going to a Russian/Turkish Bath?. Anybody that thinks that is gay is sick. Not a frikking gay think goes on in the Russian/Turkish Baths. It is not like the St. Marks or Metropolitan Bath. There is nothing sexual in those russian bodies unless you are a real sicko. It is nice, though. The treatment is great y afterwards you feel real clean and perhaps purified. But sexual, hell no."

POSTED BY: OSCAR | MAR 3, 2008 6:32:15 PM

I for one can say you are clueless. I was turned on to the 10th Street baths by a marathon training partner back in '86 and have been going since. While most are straight, you will be hard pressed not to see some gay action in the steam room and sauna, especially on men's night.

The most fun to watch are the hasidic jews who use to come on Sundays. I have not been in a while and I know things tamed down when they made certain nights coed, but nothing sexual? Tell that to the several russian masseurs who gave me both hand and blow jobs, I guess the tip after was expected.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Mar 4, 2008 6:47:25 PM

15. I've never been to the 10th Street Banya, or to New York for that matter, but I grew up going to the Division Street Russian & Turkish Baths in Chicago.

There IS nothing gay about an ordinary Russian Bath-House. In fact, these are family places where guys often bring their kids. It's not uncommon to see grandfahers attending with their sons and grandsons.

I've only heard the "gay" charge from friends who have never actually been inside a Russian Bath-house. And I think there is something really sick about our mainstream society, that it automatically equates nudity with sex. Sometimes when I try to explain to my friends what I do with those leaf branches I keep in my garage they can't seem to stop themselves from making S&M jokes; but THEY are the sick ones.

I'm sure that GAY PEOPLE have been to my bath-house; they would have been taken there by friends and relatives just like everybody else. But I doubt that there has ever been any GAY ACTIVITY within it's walls. Things like that just don't happen in that sort of environment.

Posted by: Ivanovich | Apr 2, 2008 4:00:38 PM

16. This is a great place to go and relax in one of their many rooms. I head here on the weekends and I'm so excited cause I just found a great deal on buywithme, 50% off 5 sessions! Here is the link: http://bit.ly/dp32CJ

Posted by: Dimitry | Oct 5, 2010 11:56:56 AM