Couples | Military | News | Virginia

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Virginia Couple Celebrates 50th Anniversary

50years_2

John Cook (right) stormed Omaha Beach in the second wave of the Normandy Invasion in June of 1944. He met Waverly Cole at a cocktail party 14 years later:

"Cook, an 88-year-old retired teacher and school counselor, and Cole, a 78-year-old retired physician, are poised to celebrate their 50th anniversary April 15 with a cocktail party among friends. At last week’s Servicemembers Legal Defense Network dinner in Washington, the two were recognized on stage for reaching their Golden Anniversary. During a lengthy phone interview last week from their second home in Virginia Beach, the two recalled the fateful 1958 cocktail party where they met in Farmville, Va. 'We were introduced and we found each other attractive and pleasant and nice and so we started going together,' Cook says."

(via daily dish)

Comments

1. This is awesome. Congratulations to the couple!
    Makes me want to host cocktail parties for my single friends.

Posted by: tjc | Mar 26, 2008 1:12:20 PM

2. this is so inspiring. i'm gonna make my boyfriend read this. all the best to these lovely gentlemen.

Posted by: buzz | Mar 26, 2008 1:23:44 PM

3. Wow ! For once Va. really is for lovers.

Posted by: thespeck | Mar 26, 2008 1:24:18 PM

4. Beautiful!

Posted by: z | Mar 26, 2008 1:33:23 PM

5. This cold stone heart just melted a bit. Congrats boys!

Posted by: otto | Mar 26, 2008 1:45:05 PM

6. Yea, well let's see how much longer it lasts!

Posted by: mike | Mar 26, 2008 2:35:03 PM

7. where is my guy? where is the guy who is willing and happy to settle down with me? a guy who isn't always thinking that the grass is greener in someone elses backyard. A guy who doesn't run after the first arguement, a guy who isn't addicted to the first month of a relationship and then cuts and runs when he gets bored so he can experience the newness and excitement of a NEW relationship? Where is this guy who wants to share the rest of his life with me and not his share his penis with a hundred nameless dudes at some bathhouse? Where is this guy?

Posted by: haxby | Mar 26, 2008 2:37:23 PM

8. @ Mike

Ha, ha!! Lol!

Posted by: Joe | Mar 26, 2008 2:59:43 PM

9. Yay for Farmville! That is where I grew up! Woo!

Posted by: Britton | Mar 26, 2008 3:08:09 PM

10. "Where is this guy?"

Well, Haxby, you might have missed him. He was sitting around looking real "Niggerish" like Will Smith on Leno's Tonight Show.

I'm sorry. I couldn't resist it.

Seriously, God Bless the brave seniors. I hope they voted correctly in the Virginia Primary. No! No! No! Not for McCain.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 26, 2008 3:09:00 PM

11. 88 and 78, why this is practically a Nov-Dec relationship! He's almost robbed the cradle!

Posted by: anon | Mar 26, 2008 3:48:23 PM

12. Scary how fast time passes - my partner and I have been together almost 2 decades now. Five doesn't seem that long any more.

Posted by: Alex | Mar 26, 2008 3:59:23 PM

13. Scary how fast time passes - my partner and I have been together almost 2 decades now. Five doesn't seem that long any more.

Posted by: Alex | Mar 26, 2008 4:00:04 PM

14. 27 years together here in Minnesota. Looking forward to our 50th, and 75th! :)
    Tom & Mike

Posted by: Tom & Mike | Mar 26, 2008 4:09:52 PM

15. Haxby: I'm so sick of hearing the same old line(s) from people like you. Do you want to know why you haven't and probably never will be in a long term relationship? Well, you are most likely a flawed individual and a depressing troll. Lighten up, go to the gym, dress better, and loose the bad negative attitude!

Posted by: Jeff | Mar 26, 2008 4:16:38 PM

16. Awww....that's cute! I hope I have that some day!

Funny question but....I wonder who the top is? haha.

Posted by: Jordan | Mar 26, 2008 5:42:10 PM

17. Thanks Jeff. Have a nice day.

Posted by: Haxby | Mar 26, 2008 7:20:28 PM

18. God Bless them both, just started a new and
    wonderful relationship, hope that we can make it to the 10th but these 2 have given inspiration to us all wanting to have great
    relationships like our parents......

Posted by: Larry | Mar 26, 2008 10:06:27 PM

19. Congratulations Alex, Tom and Mike, and of course those two wild and crazy kids John Cook and Waverly Cole!

But I hope you all realize that this simply never happens. I heard a christohet supremacist say so just a few hours ago, so it must be true. Y'all must be mirages or something. Kisses!

P.S.: This year is my 21st year of quite pleasant celibacy by choice for my psychological good health! Guess what! I'm still gay!

Posted by: Allan | Mar 26, 2008 10:13:18 PM

20. HAXBY: I'm going to have to agree with Jeff. What kind of response were you expecting.. "yes every gay man is horrible"? I am in my mid-40s and have had three long term relationships with my current going on eight years. I usually find that people who are single are single for a reason: 1.) The are happily single or 2.) There are reasons why people run when they meet them.

Do yourself a favor... go into counseling and get to know yourself and try to fix your fatal flaws. However, if you are past 35 and have NEVER been in a LT relationship, your odds are that you never will.

Posted by: Rodger | Mar 27, 2008 10:24:54 AM

21. Haxby: I'm also going to have to agree with Jeff and Rodger's message, but not their "tone". I also felt like you and then went into therapy. I found that much of my own behaviour and attitudes contributed to my single status. Once I was able to address these issues, the guys never stopped approaching me. I am now celebrating by 6th year with a great guy!

Hope you get the help you need!!

Posted by: dell | Mar 27, 2008 11:48:21 AM

22. Celebrating 23 years here...raised the kids and all...and I finally got him to buy me a ring last week! I wonder what I'll get on my 50th?

Posted by: Malcolm | Mar 27, 2008 1:39:25 PM

23. He'll probably give you a STD!

Posted by: Leslie | Mar 27, 2008 4:52:41 PM

24. You know, Leslie, some folks believe that when we leave this life there is a hell. You Devilmint, you.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 27, 2008 4:59:45 PM

25. My husband Ric and I have been in a committed and, yes, monogamous, relationship for 42 years now. It just takes knowing how to give to another more than to yourelf and to stay true to that belief.

Posted by: Paul | Mar 30, 2008 1:10:56 PM