Gay Virginia Couple Celebrates 50th Anniversary

50years_2

John Cook (right) stormed Omaha Beach in the second wave of the Normandy Invasion in June of 1944. He met Waverly Cole at a cocktail party 14 years later:

“Cook, an 88-year-old retired teacher and school counselor, and Cole, a 78-year-old retired physician, are poised to celebrate their 50th anniversary April 15 with a cocktail party among friends. At last week’s Servicemembers Legal Defense Network dinner in Washington, the two were recognized on stage for reaching their Golden Anniversary. During a lengthy phone interview last week from their second home in Virginia Beach, the two recalled the fateful 1958 cocktail party where they met in Farmville, Va. ‘We were introduced and we found each other attractive and pleasant and nice and so we started going together,’ Cook says.”

(via daily dish)

Comments

1. haxby says

where is my guy? where is the guy who is willing and happy to settle down with me? a guy who isn’t always thinking that the grass is greener in someone elses backyard. A guy who doesn’t run after the first arguement, a guy who isn’t addicted to the first month of a relationship and then cuts and runs when he gets bored so he can experience the newness and excitement of a NEW relationship? Where is this guy who wants to share the rest of his life with me and not his share his penis with a hundred nameless dudes at some bathhouse? Where is this guy?

2. Derrick from Philly says

“Where is this guy?”

Well, Haxby, you might have missed him. He was sitting around looking real “Niggerish” like Will Smith on Leno’s Tonight Show.

I’m sorry. I couldn’t resist it.

Seriously, God Bless the brave seniors. I hope they voted correctly in the Virginia Primary. No! No! No! Not for McCain.

3. Jeff says

Haxby: I’m so sick of hearing the same old line(s) from people like you. Do you want to know why you haven’t and probably never will be in a long term relationship? Well, you are most likely a flawed individual and a depressing troll. Lighten up, go to the gym, dress better, and loose the bad negative attitude!

4. Larry says

God Bless them both, just started a new and
    wonderful relationship, hope that we can make it to the 10th but these 2 have given inspiration to us all wanting to have great
    relationships like our parents……

5. says

Congratulations Alex, Tom and Mike, and of course those two wild and crazy kids John Cook and Waverly Cole!

But I hope you all realize that this simply never happens. I heard a christohet supremacist say so just a few hours ago, so it must be true. Y’all must be mirages or something. Kisses!

P.S.: This year is my 21st year of quite pleasant celibacy by choice for my psychological good health! Guess what! I’m still gay!

6. Rodger says

HAXBY: I’m going to have to agree with Jeff. What kind of response were you expecting.. “yes every gay man is horrible”? I am in my mid-40s and have had three long term relationships with my current going on eight years. I usually find that people who are single are single for a reason: 1.) The are happily single or 2.) There are reasons why people run when they meet them.

Do yourself a favor… go into counseling and get to know yourself and try to fix your fatal flaws. However, if you are past 35 and have NEVER been in a LT relationship, your odds are that you never will.

7. dell says

Haxby: I’m also going to have to agree with Jeff and Rodger’s message, but not their “tone”. I also felt like you and then went into therapy. I found that much of my own behaviour and attitudes contributed to my single status. Once I was able to address these issues, the guys never stopped approaching me. I am now celebrating by 6th year with a great guy!

Hope you get the help you need!!

8. Paul says

My husband Ric and I have been in a committed and, yes, monogamous, relationship for 42 years now. It just takes knowing how to give to another more than to yourelf and to stay true to that belief.

9. Paul says