George Michael | Music | News

George Michael Announces Summer U.S. Tour

Michael_2

Calling it a "rounding off" of the first phase of his career, George Michael says he'll tour the U.S. in June for the first time in nearly two decades as a prelude to phase two, which may or may not include television production, an autobiography, and producing more music, which he says he'll likely give away for free:

25"Disturbed by the increasing trend of downloadable music rendering CDs obsolete and talent shows such as American Idol taking the passion out of pop music, Michael says, 'it's the end of a certain era, and I'm not sure how much I really want to be a part of what's next. So, it's a kind of a way of saying thank you to everybody before I move on.' But this is not a farewell tour for the Grammy winner who shot to stardom in the '80s with the band Wham! and crashed when he was arrested for lewd conduct in a Beverly Hills public bathroom in 1998. Hoping to release more music in the future, Michael suspects he will offer it up to fans gratis to allow for artistic freedom. 'There are other ways I can express the things I want to. And pop music stopped being a place to express much lyrically awhile back.'"

Michael says fans can expect "the best show of their lives" which will feature tunes from his retrospective album Twenty-Five, out the first week of April. He also says this will be his last big tour: "I don't want to do anything on this scale again. No more stadiums. I'd like to be the Tony Bennett for my generation."

Tour dates AFTER THE JUMP...

Tour dates and stops for George Michael's first U.S. tour in nearly 20 years:

July 26: Philadelphia/Wachovia Center
July 27: Boston/TD Banknorth Garden
July 29: Washington, D.C./Verizon Center
July 31: Atlanta/Philips Arena
Aug. 2: Tampa/St. Pete Times Forum
Aug. 3: Sunrise, Fla./Bank Atlantic Center

Comments

1. ooh, yeah...probably not a great PR move to denigrate a show that, regardless of your opinions on what it promotes as far as popular music, captivates 30 million people a week. I might also point out that an entire generation of young people would probably be far less aware of the historical permutations in popular music, were it not for that show.

Posted by: rascal | Mar 24, 2008 4:26:58 PM

2. Christ! Are you actually defending American Idol?!? FOX News captivates millions of people per DAY and it has ZERO merit.

At least you're putting to rest another stereotype... that all gays have taste.

Kisses!

Posted by: John In Manhattan | Mar 24, 2008 4:53:38 PM

3. For pete's sake. He doesn't even know what's coming next and he's already backing out of it.

Posted by: oakling | Mar 24, 2008 5:32:50 PM

4. I read this on Celebrity Prayer List this morning and almost choked. I love George but Sister Mary had it down when she announced this. Hysterical!

Posted by: Frank D. | Mar 24, 2008 7:51:41 PM

5. Hey John - apparently all gays can't read, either.

I never said I liked the show. I said it's not good PR for a pop star to put it down.

Posted by: rascal | Mar 24, 2008 8:20:41 PM

6. Sheesh, is he channeling Ray Charles on that cover or what?

Posted by: soulbrotha | Mar 24, 2008 9:18:53 PM

7. All right, now cool it with the "all gays can't read, either", bs! You've had your jaded opinions, just as John has had his wise ones. Don't knock others for not believing or signing on with you, Bratscal, or I mean, Rascal. To each his own. But John does have one point, though, American Idol truly IS about the dumbest, most mindless show this side of Shitsville, USA! And so is FOX News, for that matter. They're nothing but a bunch of hatebashing, homophobic, obsequiously racist, spiritually bankrupted filthy sluts! Just a side note, for what it's worth, that's all. Be blessed...JONBOY

Posted by: JONBOY | Mar 24, 2008 9:21:46 PM

8. Cannot wait! I have not been a fan of his behavior lately, but his music is awesome. I saw him in Atlanta at the Fulton Co. stadium in '88 and it was a great show! Looking forward to it...

Posted by: RB | Mar 25, 2008 12:10:18 AM

9. Hey stick-your-head-in-the-JONBOY: I don't make personal attacks, but I do respond to them; that doesn't make me a brat. And I wasn't knocking anyone for not agreeing with me, I was calling someone out for criticizing something I never said.

You must be one of those gays who can't read, either.

Posted by: rascal | Mar 25, 2008 10:35:26 PM

10. When GM stops being a chicken about getting tested, I'll start thinking about going to his concert.

Posted by: Meanwhile | Mar 26, 2008 10:54:51 AM

11. Hey BRATSCAL-

When you've pulled your head out of your ass then perhaps you can breath enough fresh air to realize that nobody has to agree with you, and that you come across like a homophobic asshole who can't read himself...least of all human nature! Sweet dreams, WHORE!!!

Posted by: JONBOY | Apr 1, 2008 8:07:32 PM