News | Ryan Philippe | Television

Jay Leno Asks Ryan Phillippe to Give Camera His 'Gayest Look'

Leno

Ryan Phillippe appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno on Wednesday night doing promotion for the film Stop-Loss and the first topic Leno brought up was Phillippe's first acting role as a gay teen on One Life to Live.

No matter that the role was a serious one in which a gay son came out to his father. Leno had to squeeze as much of a joke out of the fact that his first acting role was a gay part, even asking Phillippe to look into the camera and give his "gayest look."

To Phillippe's credit, he seemed annoyed with the line of questioning.

Watch it as well as the One Life to Live clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

Here's Phillippe on One Life to Live back in 1993:

Comments

1. Maybe I could look a little "gayer"...Perhaps, if Leno could, in his role of arbiter of what looks gay, give me a pointer or two, then I could exact the stereotype that America is so hell bent on looking for.
    What an insecure prick...

Posted by: Dave | Mar 21, 2008 1:01:40 PM

2. JAY LENO IS A TOOL

Posted by: dw314 | Mar 21, 2008 1:09:16 PM

3. Ha ha ha!
    Jay Leno is such a FUNNY guy- Lance Bedrock, Ha!
    Homophobic Hack.
    Oh, I'm sorry. I just noticed the lapel pin. My mistake- He's a great American!

Posted by: BusyTimmy | Mar 21, 2008 1:09:19 PM

4. Jay Leno needs to be called out for his consistent homophobia. What a jerk!

Posted by: Jim | Mar 21, 2008 1:15:48 PM

5. Well, Ryan is still the bigger narcissistic prick in that conversation--what a jerk is he!

Posted by: kurt | Mar 21, 2008 1:18:34 PM

6. Well, Ryan is still the bigger narcissistic prick in that conversation--what a jerk is he!

Posted by: kurt | Mar 21, 2008 1:19:53 PM

7. Wow, that was truly embarrassing on Leno's part. What an idiot. I wish Phillippe had walked off.

Posted by: Patrick | Mar 21, 2008 1:24:33 PM

8. RP looked sooooooo pissed!

Posted by: Wes | Mar 21, 2008 1:25:07 PM

9. Hmmm, my "gayest look" would've been to shove both my fists up Jay's ass and clap.

Will Leno ever stop? http://www.whitless.com/leno.htm

Posted by: John In Manhattan | Mar 21, 2008 1:35:02 PM

10. Seemed annoyed? That's definitely an understatement (no offense). Poor Ryan's just going on there to chat about his new film (directed by Kimberly Peirce, who does amazing work), and Jay was being a total jackass instead - nearly five minutes wasted!

And I'm not surprised about Jay Leno's juvenile behavior/line of questioning. That's par for the course with hetero folks who grew up in suburban Massachusetts (which I can say, because I grew up there).

Posted by: Davey | Mar 21, 2008 1:35:55 PM

11. You guys couldn't be more on-point with the words you chose to describe Leno. I've always thought he was an unfunny tool and hack... and that was before this...

Posted by: stuart | Mar 21, 2008 2:01:10 PM

12. Davey...you got that right!

- Pugzz in Boston

Posted by: Pugzz | Mar 21, 2008 2:07:57 PM

13. what an asshat...but not surprising coming from an ass-kissing, picket line crossing, douchebag...

but i also agree that ryan philippe is a talentless snotrag...

Posted by: Michael Strangeways | Mar 21, 2008 2:14:01 PM

14. Jay Leno is a total jackass idiot, and a huge homophobe. Can't wait for him to leave the Tonight Show for good!

Posted by: goofy big chinned idiot! | Mar 21, 2008 2:16:15 PM

15. I don't watch "The Tonight Show." I haven't since Jay Leno helped Arnold Schwarzenegger and the GOP engineer a Republican coop against a Democratically elected governor. So I didn't see Jay being his usual jerkish self. And I feel the better for it.

As for Ryan, I feel sorry for him. Getting smacked around by Jay and then beat up on by some people on this thread -- he can't catch a break.

Posted by: Jemmytee | Mar 21, 2008 2:26:17 PM

16. Secretly hoped this would have devolved into a Tom Selleck - Rosie O'Donnell style throwdown....

BTW, has Jay Leno ever been called out on his content by a GLAAD or GLAAD-like organization?

Posted by: Harrison | Mar 21, 2008 2:33:12 PM

17. leno is a hack and a disgrace. i do hope he is called out on this behavior in a more explicit and sophisticated manner, perhaps through glaad.

Posted by: christopher | Mar 21, 2008 2:43:50 PM

18. Leno hates gays because he's fat.

Posted by: anon | Mar 21, 2008 2:48:55 PM

19. Is it just me or does Ryan seem to be putting a lot of energy into "butching it up"? I almost expect him to be saying "dem" and "dos" to offset his effeminate features.

Posted by: pinky mcstinky | Mar 21, 2008 2:52:44 PM

20. Wow, what an asshole. Seriously, I don't see why people would bother watching Leno. That was really classless of him, especially when it was *more than apparent* that Ryan was very uncomfortable. Anything for a cheap joke, I guess.

When's Conan getting the Tonight Show? The sooner the better!

Posted by: Ryan | Mar 21, 2008 3:03:57 PM

21. Stop complaining about this on a gay blog. Write to NBC.

Posted by: jeff | Mar 21, 2008 3:22:02 PM

22. PLEASE write to The Tonight Show and COMPLAIN. I just did, YET AGAIN. Jeff Whitty, the creator of Avenue Q, wrote an open letter to Leno about 2 years ago, concerning Leno's horrid gay jokes. I DESPISE Leno, so I don't watch him. BUT during the Brokeback Mountain time, I watched Jake on his show, and Leno was his USUAL, ADOLESCENT, HOMOPHOBIC SELF. To him, gay = joke. Being gay is a joke. Playing a gay character is a joke.

In the meantime, gay people are being beaten and killed just because they are gay. While Leno PLAYS to homophobia, DEPENDS on homophobia, for a laugh, at the expense of the gay community. Even though I don't watch him, I've come across clips, like this one with Ryan, in which he has been horribly homophobic, and I ALWAYS write and complain. PLEASE do the same.

Barry

Posted by: BB | Mar 21, 2008 3:22:20 PM

23. Ryan Phillippe did not seem annoyed that Jay was being homophobic. He seemed annoyed that Jay was going to put him in a position where he would 'look gay'...which is, in itself, homophobic. I'm not impressed with either one of them.

Posted by: peterparker | Mar 21, 2008 3:36:00 PM

24. I would love for Ellen to go on his show and call him out.

Jay is way to smart and gets paid WAY to damned much to have to resort to such cheap, unintelligent, uninventive, lowest common denominator gutter comedy.

Posted by: Zeke | Mar 21, 2008 4:36:10 PM

25. I agree with PeterParker, Ryan was annoyed he was being put in the position to 'look gay'.

We need to hold Leno to account.

In a similar vein, AfterElton.com has a story about Sean Penn making a "buttboy" comment trying to endear himself to a crowd.

Posted by: queendru | Mar 21, 2008 4:46:33 PM